Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the common western cancer! what suggestions do you have to repaint a western. I was planning on sandblasting it then open to suggestions to primmer(2part or not?) then the final paint ,has anyone had a favorite paint that will stick to the steel but will not let the snow stick to the blade .thanks craig

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I find it best to get rid of all the powdercoating, then I coated it with a Rustoleum metal primer, and top coated with the "Safety Red" Enamel. I can usually go two seasons before I need to recoat it, and its usually just splotchy wear. I'm not afraid of using 2 or 3 coats, it makes a pretty durable finish.

·
Registered
132 Posts
repainting

Powder coat is a nightmare after it starts to bubble. Over the summer, I took my plow completely apart, and had it sandblasted. The sand blasting cost me $165 for the moldboad, quadrant, a-frame and liftframe/light tower. After sandblasting, you have to be careful not to get the parts dirty or oily. I then applied a self etching primer. Then came 4 coats of Rustoleum Sunrise Red Gloss on the moldboard, and Gloss black on the other parts.
While the plow was disassembled, I had to weld on the a-frame, at the pivot point, because it had torn. (Common Problem) I also replaced all of the bolts with grade 8 bolts. My plow is 8 yrs old, so I figured it was time for a little rebuilding. I will try and post some pics for you guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts