Snowplow Forums banner

Which grill do you like better?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......in with the old.

I've been wanting to do this since I bought my truck. If I had known how easy it would be, I would have done it 2 1/2 years ago. I my opinion, the composite headlights on the 91-98 trucks are terrible. And the grill style painted to match the truck is not that attractive either. Before this truck, I had an 89 with the small four sealed beam setup. They were fantastic. Anyhow, I finally went to the junkyard and got the lamps, buckets, brackets, and pigtails for $30 total. Grabbed a grill with the lower filler strip from an 89 for $45 bucks. Probably not quite worth the money, the "chrome" on the upper section is pretty well gone. I pulled the side markers, masked off the chrome, and sprayed it with Krylon for Outdoor Furniture. I don't remember the exact color name, but it's a charcoal gray. It looks very cool, made a rough finish with little sparklies in it. It's very flat, no gloss. But still shiny, if that makes any sense. The swap took less than an hour. I spent much more time messing around with the plow lighting harness than anything else. I don't generally get too wound up about appearance, but I think the headlights themselves look much better. More like a truck to me. I actually ran the "new" lights with the "old" grill for a couple of days, but put the Chevy grill on today. I'm not sure which one I like better. I kinda like seeing the chrome on the sides. As for lighting, I can see about as much with low beams now as I could with high beams before.

Here's the before:
GMC before.jpg

After:
GMC grill after.jpg

Close up:
GMC grill after closeup.jpg

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've come to like the Chevy grills. I had GMC's for years ('85 - '96 and nothing but), but those grills kept attracting wildlife - hawks, partridge, ravens, one owl and I won't even talk about the moose. Now that its Chevy, it's the back of the truck that is attracting rock cuts and trees. Maybe I should do like you - have a Chevy front and GMC back ....:wink

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does look like there might be a little more airflow at the top, which would help when carrying the plow. Overheating has never been an issue with this truck, except with plow on. Overheating is even less an issue since I've done some tuneup work.

A body lift is a very serious consideration for this truck. Getting the radiator up 2 or 3 inches would be big help. And it would help on the lower body dings too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts