Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of event do you like to have as far as salting goes for profitability and ease of management.

-Freezing drizzle

-Freezing rain

-Freezing fog

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Non of those options!! :nope

Those situations create the opposite characteristics of what you mention. To get the best of those characteristics is to salt after plowing. But if those were the only 3 that I'd have a choice of I'd have to guess freezing fog, as it would create the least amount of actual precip to deice, which = less salt??

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
I agree with BRL, Freezing fog = less precip, ergo less salt

That freezing drizzle or rain builds up fast and is a biotch to melt down..... LOTS and Lots of Salt

:nope to freezing rain or drizzle

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Freeezing fog

I have never heard that term . but since fog ia a vapor it will freeze . sounds bad . not only will drivers be unable to see but could lose traction. As the fog rolls across a highway

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would also agree with BRL on this , like he said if I had to pick it would freezing fog. JMO

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I posted this because that is most of what we get in Kansas...even if we get snow it usually melts on contact and we push it off and salt the rest. Freezing precip. is my bread and butter:cash so that is how we strategize our service. Freezing rain happens very often due to arctic fronts from the North colliding with Gulf of Mexico moisture. PITA to deal with but it pays the bills. Our contracts are set up in such a way as to make some good profit from freezing rain, application rate is always the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts