Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a Curtis plow. I have a 1997 Chevy 1500 4x4, I was looking at either the 7' Poly or the 7 1/2 ' steel. I will only be doing light plowing ( friends and family). Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Curtis plows are great, they have well exceeded my expectations. They are tough and built to last. I have had no problems whatsoever with mine. They have the best mounting system IMO, and have the most low profile truckside mount. I would go with the 7'6" in the lighter series that they just put out. The "lighter 7'6" still weighs more then the average 7'6" but its not 750 LBS like the standard 7'6". The 7' would be ok, but you really will want the 7'6". I just bought a Curtis 7' for a cherokee, iam very impressed with the construction of this "light duty" plow. Its built as good as the rest of the curtis line.

·
Banned
78 Posts
poor prep for paint

i have a 8ft curtis 3000 series and 2 friends with 7 1/2 footers all started rusting within 2 yrs. i power wash it after each use and keep it covered or inside. its clear there was poor prep before paint. i've pushed snow for 20 yrs and have owned 2 westerns 2 meyer and a hiniker none of which had this defect. its the best plow for many reasons that i've owned. i wish curtis would have put the same quality in they're prep for paint as they did in the rest of the plow. BUYERS BEWARE

·
Registered
13 Posts
Murph -- Sorry you had that experience, but it's the first time I've ever heard of that problem with a Curtis. My bet is if you contact them you'll find they'll bend over backwards to make things right.

I'm currently on my second Curtis plow. I absolutely love them: the construction, the controls, the use of them, and especially the ease of mounting and dismounting.

Pete

·
Banned
78 Posts
Thanks Pete
I didn't feel that there was anything that would ever happen even if i did contact curtis. the dealer i worked with is no longer in the blade business.
and i didn't contact them right away. after seeing 2 others do the same, i just assumed it was a problem with all. glad you have'nt
the problem is actually the paint peeling off in large flakes all on the back side of the blade whrere the ribs are welded.
It's still a great set-up
thanks MURPH

·
Registered
526 Posts
Mine is 8 seasons old now, and is doing the same thing. The front of the blade seems fine, it is on the back.. around the horizontal braces. No big deal. I wire wheel them and spray them with rustoleum paint. This year, I sprayed it with Fluid Film!

·
Registered
336 Posts
MURPH said:
Thanks Pete
I didn't feel that there was anything that would ever happen even if i did contact curtis. the dealer i worked with is no longer in the blade business.
and i didn't contact them right away. after seeing 2 others do the same, i just assumed it was a problem with all. glad you have'nt
the problem is actually the paint peeling off in large flakes all on the back side of the blade whrere the ribs are welded.
It's still a great set-up
thanks MURPH
I had the same problem at the ribs, Im guessing that it is rusting from the inside out.

Regards Mike

·
Banned
78 Posts
It all boils down to this. Paint will stick a heck of alot longer to anything as long as proper prep to the metal is done. I should't have to blast my blade and re-paint it this soon just to save it. It is 6 years old now but it started this after 2 years. Thanks for the responce
Murph

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 3 year old series 3000 on a K3500, It came in the truck deal as parts. I was going to sell it but have kept it. 2nd winter and very pleased with the hitch system overall qauality. Controls are excellent on the Joystick.
The plow scraps well and rolls deep snow great also. I put pro-wings on it and improved efficiency also. I don't have a Curtis dealer around me but would recommend it highly.
I still have Boss for my 05 F250 from my previous 03 F250.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Boondox said:
Murph -- Sorry you had that experience, but it's the first time I've ever heard of that problem with a Curtis. My bet is if you contact them you'll find they'll bend over backwards to make things right.

I'm currently on my second Curtis plow. I absolutely love them: the construction, the controls, the use of them, and especially the ease of mounting and dismounting.

Pete
I take it all back, Murph. I was impressed by my Curtis as long as everything was working well, but the moment I needed tech support all those warm fuzzies evaporated. They have generally been unresponsive, and when they do respond my impression is they are guessing.

See my Total Frustration with Curtis thread for details.

Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
Paint Peel

i have a 8ft curtis 3000 series and 2 friends with 7 1/2 footers all started rusting within 2 yrs. i power wash it after each use and keep it covered or inside. its clear there was poor prep before paint. i've pushed snow for 20 yrs and have owned 2 westerns 2 meyer and a hiniker none of which had this defect. its the best plow for many reasons that i've owned. i wish curtis would have put the same quality in they're prep for paint as they did in the rest of the plow. BUYERS BEWARE
I agree, I've owned a new 8' curtis 3000 and after 2 yrs I noticed paint peeling off very edges of the body of the blade. QC slipped up on this one Big time. Overall it's a real nice plow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Curtis makes a great plow ... as noted it scrapes well ... even back-dragging. It rolls snow well and the joy-stick control is awesome. I didn't like the touch-pad nearly as much. Far as paint ... the older models had a real problem with the back-side lateral supports rotting from the inside. On my new 8-1/2' Curtis they have rectified this with solid flat bar ... seems problem solved. They also improved the wiring harness recently which should take care of those problems also. The hitch-n-run is amazingly quick and simple ... I'm happy with my Curtis, I'm on my third one actually and hope to keep this one for a long time now that all the bugs are worked out ... hopefully. With all the salt they throw on the roads I don't expect the paint to last more than 4 seasons ... if it lasts that long I'll be happy to have a body shop repaint it at my cost ... which was $300 last time I did it. I prefer to keep things looking new(er) as many people see this as reliable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Curtis Plows

I agree, Curtis does make a nice plow. I am going on eight yrs now with a Curtis and my two main complaints are the lights (see my other posts regarding plow lights) and the paint/rust issue. I am going to order some new moldboard ribs and duplicate them in 304 stainless. Once the entire moldboard is fabricated out of stainless, that will cure the rust issues for good!

2001 F350 Superduty 7.3 4 X 4 DRW Rugby 2-3 yd dump body
9' Curtis Sno-Pro 3000 w/joystick

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just bought a brand new 8 foot snow pro 3000 this year and so far i love it . beats a snow blower .
its to bad you only have a 1/2 ton .
at my dealer the difference between a 7' 7 1/2 ' light duty and the 8 ' hd was only about 600.00 but it weights allmost 800 lbs

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm the 3rd owner of a Sno Pro 2000 on a '91 GMC. It's stored ourside year round, and I only cover it with a tarp when it's not mounted.
I've has 2 issues in the 5 years I've owned it.
Lights: I had to run a separate ground to the bumper.
Angling: I don't know if it's the fluid or the plow, but I have to raise/lower the unit 8-10 times before I can even start to angle either way. I'm guessing that the fluid gets so cold it won't pass throught those ports. I diassembled it last year, purged all the old fluid (even from the hoses), cleaned everything per my son's instr. (he works on hyd), and it does work better after the oil warms up.
I do like the ease of hooking mine up, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts