Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm leaving my house tonight (townhome) and the street is half ice. (I salted my half:D) Anyway, I thought I'd check out the function of my Genuine Ford Limited-Slip Differential... to quote from the wonderful cinematic production, Bad Boys- "YOU DANG RIGHT IT'S LIMITED!!!" I sat with one wheel on dry pavement and one on the ice , spinning away. So what gives? I tried bumping the brakes, thinking that maybe it doesn't recognize the differential with such a little load- nothing. I tried spinning 'er up a little- got it to about 15mph... nothing. Are these things completely limp? I have always joked about the FX4 package being a white-shock-and-sticker package, but now I'm really starting to wonder. My chebby actually LOCKED when one would slip. Maybe I just need to swap in a 14-bolt for the D60... any advice, experience on the slippy 'slip?

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I took mine back to the dealer for the same reason. I intentionally set one wheel on ice, the other on pavement and tried to start out uphill. Nothing.

I pumped the brakes like you, still nothing. The dealers says this is "normal" operation. If I had it to do over again, I'd have saved the $175 I paid for the rear!:headwall

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like I've got a little bit of false advertising on my window sticker!! Is there any recourse- or do you just bend over and enjoy the ride? Is there an adjustment or additive? Is there any actual physical difference between the open and the limited-slip?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Try changing the oil,and don't add the friction modifier.It will tighten them up a lot.If that don't do it,then there is something wrong.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
dump the additive

Chris hit it right on the nose get rid of the oil in the diff and when refilling dont use the additive it has fixed both of my 250 s they did the same thing , besides the whale piss smells so bad anyway its not worth the money, and no damage is gonna occour i dump the fliuds on my trucks ever oct and i see no wear taking place in the diffs.

ps hows that Billy White

·
Registered
309 Posts
Also try putting it in reverse for a sec. and back up about a foot. That helps locking mine;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts