Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short of replacing the entire hopper, which costs $251, what would you do to make this work? I already bought the lower frame section, which is just a matter of 4 bolts, and swapping the bearing out of the bent up one. There were signs of wear at the place the plastic came apart, but backing into a jersy barrier did the rest. And, no, it wasn't me at the wheel. (I learned, a few years ago, from experience, not to do that.) :headwall

Attachments

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I'd use fiberglass.

Once you get the frame repaired it should be lined up pretty good.Wrap a layer of fiberglass cloth around it,and then lay on the resin.Once you get a few layers built it,it should be strong enough.It won't look pretty,but it should work.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
JB Weld or a plastic welding kit which is essentially a soldering gun with a wide flat tip and adding plastic to it.

If that don't hold, you better put out the money.

I have tried both on the same hopper, the plastic weld did the best but it doesn't last.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is a company that sends out a very detailed catalog, I can't think of the name now but it has parts for all kinds of plows and spreaders. I backed into a snow bank last year and had my lower frame replaced for around $140. if I remember correctly. I think it was called Central Parts Warehouse.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Maybe if there is enough room to do it put a piece of flat stock steel on each side of the poly with bolts through to hold them in place, in maybe 3 spots around, then wrap the fiberglass around it. So basically what you would have is the 3 steel reinforcements actually holding it together with the fiberglass to seal it. Let me know if this actually makes any sense:D

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, Fester, that's what I was thinking as well. There just aren't enough days in the week. There's snow in the forecast for this weekend. It'll probably get the metal pieces bolted to it today, and then half a roll of duct tape over that.

The dealer had the frame part on the shelf. I'll be checking those other sources to see if there's a better deal out there on the hopper itself. I'm sure that whatever the fix I use, it'll only be temporary....

·
Registered
905 Posts
CPW has the hopper for around $300,A Fisher hopper is $50 less,red plastic must be a hot comodity:D
Hey dig,tell me something,was it some young snot nosed kid that backed it into the barrier:D

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Yea I have also seen that all of the parts using the red dye are higher priced than their yellow friends. Funny thing since the rest of the parts are exactly the same. That Red #5 sure is costly to get :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Duck tape will probabbly be ok for a temp fix. I think the fibrglass Chris mentioned would be the best way and pelican mentioned the screws. Better use stainless so they last a while.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What chris said.
Fiberglass would work very well.
I'd maybe run couple of thin straps of metal down form the top to bottom(from just above the split to just below the split) , to help hold it togethJ( a little insurance for strength maybe). Maybe pop riveted in place.
Then the layered fiverglass.
My camping trailer has a plastic septic tank. It split in on end. NOt nice. But I used fiberglass and layered it . worked perfectly.

:canada :burnout :canada

1 - 15 of 15 Posts