Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i use meyer hyd oil in a western system? the reason i ask is i have some myers that i just bought a few weeks ago and i just bouhgt a western plow and want to change the fluid??

·
Registered
637 Posts
Meyer Fluid

Rich,
Meyer M-I fliud shouldn't be used in a Western pump. Western suggests ( Western High Performance Hydralic Fuid). Some use ATF, but I'd stick with there only to be safe. If your looking to get rid of the Meyer fluid I'll buy it from you:D I was up in Richmond last week, bought 4 quarts of M-I and got ripped of at $6.58 quart:headwall :headwall
Happy New Year!!!
Scott

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
$6.58 that is about what we pay for it here in Boston Have never got it under $6

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I've run a number of different products in my pumps through the years, I've owned Meyer, Western, Diamond and now Blizzard. Most commonly I've used ATF, but I've run 10W hydro oil and synthetic hydro oil too.

Each plow manufacturer recommends you use their high priced oil exclusively, I don't buy into it. I bought my first plow, the Meyer, used and ran it an additional 5 years, ran my Western 15 years, the Diamonds for 7 each with no pump failures at all. I think the most important thing is to keep your oil level up to avoid a dry pump, this is what will cook them.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Pelican is right,the oil isn't that specific.The Meyers stuff will work fine in your Western.

I mainly use synthetic ATF,the cheap stuff from Wal-mart.Not much more than regular ATF,but better low temperature viscosity,and no freeze ups when it's really cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts