Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use this system from Fram its called sure drain. You remove the bolt from the oil pan and you put in a adapter from them which alows you to change the oil easier. When you want to change the oil you hook up the tube and bingo the oil flows easily and you have no hot oil over your hands until you tkae off the filter that is *L*.

There plug doesnt have a magnet on it and i duno if thats a prolem if i should use the orginal bolt because it has a magnet on the end of it to get little metal slivers.

I use Fram double guard filters they any good ? Can you tell me any better one's ?

I heard 10w30 is what i should use year round because it causes less damadge to the engine. I have been useing 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I don't like any of those quick change drain plug gizmo's.If something goes wrong,and you lose all the oil,you do some major engine damage if you don't catch it in time.

If you do it right,there should be very little mess removing the drain plug.Like you said,you get a little dirty changing the filter anyway.If you can't stand a little oil on your fingers,you shouldn't be under the truck changing it in the first place.

Stay away from Fram filters,they aren't the best.Use a Wix,or Purolator.Just pick them up and compare them side by side,the Fram's are very cheap.

The Fram Doubleguard has Teflon PTFE is the filter,which is something that doesn't belong in the oiling system in the first place.Stay away from all that crap,and just use a plain oil filter.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree with Wyldman, stay away from Fram filters. Many people from The Diesel Page reported that they are the worst filter! :eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
this guy seems to have spent some time putting this together its a huge comparison of filters check it out.

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

I use FRAM filters not because I think they are the best but becasue they're cheap and availible and I have owned several
vehicles over 200k without engine related troubles. The best thing IMO is regular oil changes

Dean

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FordPlow said:
this guy seems to have spent some time putting this together its a huge comparison of filters check it out.
If thats the page i think it is, I saw that but didnt get much of it. They list so many filters its hard to say which i should buy.

I have 1 fram filter left so ill use that for the winter and next change i will go with something else..

I have heard of Purolater filters they any good ? Dont know where to buy them here in canada.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Magnetic drain plugs do help,but aren't a neccesity.

Most good auto parts stores carry Wix,and I believe Napa filter are made by them as well.

Purolator is a good filter,but I'm not sure who carries them now.Wal-Mart around here used too for a while,but now it's all Fram.

The Frams aren't that bad,just there are better filters out there.I've used Fram in the shop for years,and haven't had any major engine failures that I could pin on the Fram filter.We do have a lot of them that leak though.The overall quality and fit is poor.

I don't use them on my own vehicles,as the cases and end plates are very thin,and they tend to balloon or leak in cold weather.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You would be better off throwing that Fram away unused in my opinion.. NAPA has WIX Filters...

I ran 2 Fram filters on my car and both collapsed inside themselves.... Try reading 0 psi on a oil pressure gauge some time.. No fun at all.... I change my oil at 3000 miles like a clock and when that incident happend the first time I thought it was a fluke.

It happend again!!!

If you change the oil a few times before it is due you might come to find the oil will be far cleaner in time.... Mine is golden looking when I dump it at 3,000 miles these days... Mac

·
Registered
610 Posts
isnt it easier to spend 25 bucks and let the shop change it
no mess, they get rid of the old oil and they can grease all the fittings you probaly cant get to
i have customers that bring their own parts and just pay labor
john

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They dont use the same grease as i do and i am sure they will charge me the same amount. They also think my truck takes 7 litres of oil.. That would be a mistake.. I fill a water cooler tank with oil and take it along with my filters and other junk downt o the dump for them to dispose of.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ive used fram in ever truck ive had GAS ENGINE. No problems If the filter collapsed did you prime the filter befor start up? In a Diesel ive seen them just blow then off and that is one hell of a sound and a mess when you have 10 gallons of oil wanting to come out. THis is in tractors (18-wheelers)Fram is fine for gas. Diesel i would be a little iffy. In all my customers and my self i use fram in GAS ENGINES. But like any other filter if should be changes reguraly. WHen it needs to be. Ive had customers go 20 thousand miles with out changing the oil and the second i touch it the can comes off and the base is still on the engine that isnt fun.
Diesels i ALWAYS gowith the dealer filters if its a cat it has a cat filter and so on.
Rich:burnout

1 - 15 of 15 Posts