Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i changed my oil and filter for the first time and now im smelling oil fumes when i come to a stop, seems that its coming through the vents in the dash. i took 1/2 quart out of it thinking that the crank case pressure was too high when it was completely full at 11 qts. i cant find a single thing leaking but im curious if dodge sold me the correct oil filter? part # 05083285AA. please help! i dont think this it normal because it never did it until i changed it. i used rotella T 15w40.

also changed coolant and the thermostat just wanna make sure that i dont need to bleed the system when refilling? the book says that theres a one way valve that bleeds air. seems that it runs about 10 deg cooler.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Maybe you spilled a bit of oil on something hot, like exhaust manifold? I know whe I accidentally do it, it really stinks. I use Rotella 15W40 with no problems, I bet it just spilled.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant really smell it when the truck isnt running. maybe i did but id like someone to crossref the filter to make sure i got the right one..

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is normal for Rotella in a CTD engine. Mine does the same thing. You will smell it for the first 100 miles or so then it will go away. I thought that all Dodge Cummins engines made after 1993 only had a capacity of 10 quarts not 11. It is also possible that you spilled a small amount of oil around the fill tube. Verify the oil capacity with a dealer. You can switch brands of oil and avoid the smell. Now you know the saying about Rotella- Rotella it smella. If you want some good info on oil go to www.bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
if you spill any oil on the engine /exhaust of any engine you can smell oil as it burns off .

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
danzig hit it on the head. Thats why i use delo oil or shaffers,the Rottella scares you for a week of so after an oil change. Mine dfoes it for more like 500 miles+ after an oil change.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, thanks guys, went through panic attack last night and i know i was carful not to spill any.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
john, where can i find shaffers or delo oil products at? maybe theres a store in ohio? the stink is really driving me crazy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts