Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever heard or used them? Supposed to be a combination high cranking amps and deep cycle battery all in one.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

They're quite expensive, but I'm thinking of giving a set a try in my 1 plow truck that is all electrical yet.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Hmmm.... I just got done typing an elaborate post about my positive experiences with optima batteries, only to realize that you were asking about odysseys...:mad:

My only experience with odysseys is in my parents sea-doo. So far it's the only battery that has survived living in that battery-hungry machine for more than one season. It almost made it two seasons. I bought another one, but have no experience with their car-sized batteries.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Derek, you could have left your response, I would have liked to hear what you had to say about Optima's because I've had less than desirable results with them.

Looks like I'm gonna have to be a guinea pig here.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Mark,

I have had 2 different sets of optimas. The first set was in my Ford powerstroke, and I had them for 3 years before I sold the truck. I never had any problems with them, and I did leave some lights on several different times, and everything fired right up. I just put 2 new ones in my GMC, and so far so good.

John

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm using a yellow-top for starting and it's going on 4 years now. The problem some people have is you need the correct yellow-top if you want it as the primary starting battery you need the dark gray case on it, for deep cycle you want the light gray.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, right now, I can't remember what color tops were in which application and the problem I had with them, just wasn't very impressed with longevity.

I'll get some of the Odyssey's for my 350 that has the electric Blizzard and back blade and see what happens with them. I'll try to let every one knwo what I find with them.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
as festerw posted, there are red, yellow and blue tops in the optima line, then each "top color" is divided into a "starting technology" line and a "deep-cycle technology" line. I had yellow-top, starting-technology batteries in my last truck. I had also added 0g welding cable between them and to the plow solenoid. The lights wouldn't dim and the voltmeter (a REAL voltmeter on a truck? no- it wasn't a ford...:rolleyes:) barely moved when operating the plow. Not to mention- that plow moved FAST!

They plowed for two seasons, then I pulled them out when I sold the truck. One battery sat for a couple years and went on to live a happy life in my parents boat, and lived until the guy who winterized it didn't disconnect the battery. :soapbox The other one ended up in my mom's '71 Corvette after sitting for a while, and it too, died after a couple seasons of sitting. All-in-all, I got better than 5 years out of them, and my guess is that I could probably still hit them with a charge and wake them up, but I haven't put the effort into them to find out. Between plowing and sitting in seldom-operated vehicles, I'd consider that pretty good life from a battery. As soon as my Ford batteries die- 3 years and going strong- I'll throw another set of optimas at it- unless there's something better out there.:beatsme

·
Registered
248 Posts
I run two batterys from WALMART! HAHA 900 cca each and a 3 year full replacement warranty! and on top of that a 7 or 9 year prorated warranty. I figure hey, i hate walmart, so i will kill their batteries! A 3 year warrenty on a car battery is crazy, much less a plow truck battery!

Now on subject. That is why i WONT buy optima. they don't have a good warrenty. Mark, What kinda warrenty do these oddesy have? I have heard deka is a great battery too!

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Batterys

Cant remember what color Mark had in his Dodge this summer but it required a jump box to live next to it in order to start.

I think if taken care of like Derek said they are a ok Batt i personally havent used one and honestly in all the years Marks truck was the first one i changed out. Gell batterys are a safer bet i havent been able to get into any decent pricing with my vendors to try and market them.

I have considered running one has a aux battery in the wrangler were it would be inside and no fear of venting gases.

Serveral Gm vechs have batterys that are under the rear seat these are speacial batterys that have a venting system and to this day have not seen one fail.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pickering Snow said:
Cant remember what color Mark had in his Dodge this summer but it required a jump box to live next to it in order to start.
Fred, that's cuz it's a Dodge. :nodd

Although, I hear Ford is providing easy access to batteries via a hole in the hood from turbos grenading. omg

That truck had already sat for a month or better, shoulda heard it when I started it and tried revving it, the throttle cable was a little sticky too. :nodd Just about didn't have to haul it to you after revving to about 6K RPM's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ahhh, the Odyssey 2150 group 31 sized combination battery. Thats 2150 cranking amps, and 1100 cca in each battery! The worlds first deep cycle starting battery. Military design, AGM gel in a steel or plastic case.

I have the famous Dodge diesel 95 amp grid pre heaters, electric lift pump, 2 plows, a spreader, lights etc..... Year and a half later, still as powerful as when I bought them.

Spendy!!!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I just looked.. there is one up from the 1200a

PC1500 DT
Group size 34/78 dual terminal battery.
1500 cranking amps and 125 minutes reserve on a 25amp load.
Battery footprint is 10.07 long x 6.26 wide x 7.82 tall and weighs 48 pounds.

* SAE group 34/78 dual purpose battery
* Pure lead AGM design
* With a constant draw of 3.25 amps, the PC1500 will last 20 hours before needing a recharge

The Odyssey PC1500 DT is the same size as a typical Optima Red, Yellow, or Blue top with more cranking power, more reserve capacity, longer design life, and a better warranty.

Mark.. How more expensive do them seem than others??

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pete, I haven't actually priced them out yet, but the price I saw on FTE (which is where I found out about them) was about $180. haven't had the time to look into and the one truck I was thinking about using them on we had to hurry up and replace with some Optimas last Saturday in the middle of the Blizzard because it was doing the dreaded blinking O\D light radio off thing that Fred talks about just before the truck shuts off.

He's getting me a better alternator for it and I still might throw a set in it as this truck is first out on a storm and the only one that doesn't have central hydraulics yet.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Mark,

There is a local guy that does higher output alt out here.. I bought my 160 amp from him last year. It was well over the 105 amp that is max oem for my application. I can call and ask if you would like me to check.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
AGM batteries are not they are cracked up to be.They have their place,but not in a plow truck.Do a web search and do some reading.A lot of it has to do with charging them properly,which isn't going to happen in a plow truck.

Two lead acid group 31's would be a better choice.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey Mark go down to my uncles, Batteries Unlimited, right next door to Deyoung's, and they have these heavy duty commerical grade batteries that they sell, and they never die. We have them in all our trucks and SS, and we have never had a dead battery problem, and all our stuff is run off the batteries. Alot cheaper than the odyssesy and optima batteries with the same power. They run around $70-90 per battery.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will do Tim, I've bought a few sets of batteries from him already, so I'll do some checking with him. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry for the mis-information, Wyldman got me thinking, so I checked the owner's manuel and the Odyssey is a Dry Cell, not AGM like I thought. Wyldman is right, an alternator couldn't possibly fill ONE of these things up, let alone two. But the performance is so amazing and the reserve is so deep that it seems like they won't ever run down.

These and the large case alternator I have really put an end to my juice problems.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts