Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 GMC 454 fuel pump has always made a good deal of noise (whine), and continues a few seconds after I turned the key off.

Just lately, it has got even louder. I mean really loud. I was told it is a GM thing and not to worry about it.

But I do worry about because it should not be that loud.

Anyone else have this same noise problem?

Should I be worried?:huh

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've had a 90',95',98',99'Old Body Style and also a 00',the only one that makes that noise is the 00',it's so loud you can hear it in the cab:( ,been that way as long as i can remember and sometimes it's louder than others,Maybe Wyldman can shed some light?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Some pump noise is normal.If the pump is very loud,or you notice a change in the volume of the the whine,then I'd be looking at replacing the pump (fuel unit) before it fails and leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
wyldman said:
Some pump noise is normal.If the pump is very loud,or you notice a change in the volume of the the whine,then I'd be looking at replacing the pump (fuel unit) before it fails and leaves you stranded.
Better get her fixed Bob other wise you may be sending me more jobs;) Not like the last 3 you sent me either:argue

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping it was the colder fuel since we are at a -2 degrees.

I have had several shops tell me the whine is normal and some even drive you nuts by the sound.

Wyldman, It sounded quieter today, I hope that is a good sign.

Walt, I want to send you more but, as soon as your ad starts back up Saturday, you will be competing against me again. LOL!!

Hey Walt, I always thought the Hatfields and McCoys :argue were in Pike County, Kentuky, not in Medina, NY LOL!

·
Registered
87 Posts
WWHHHIIIIRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

It' only been a little over a year that I bought my first fool injected vehicle. A '91 Accord w/ 300k. Then I bought a '90 Cierra for $125, and they both have very quiet pumps. Who knows if they're the factory units. But last week I bought a '98 Safari AWD with 118k at an auction for $2000 (I'm boasting), and oh baby, does it sing! A friend of mine holds the warranty claims position at one of the big aftermarket FI/electronics parts manufacturers. When asked about his companys quality, he says that the only time his cars ever break down is when one of his companies parts fails. When they have lots of comebacks, they'll switch to reboxing straight from GM/Ford etc...When asked about the competitors quality, he says that they're re-packaged from his company. Same crap. The biggest advancement seems to have been their lifetime guaranty from Auto Zone et al. I'll call him and ask his opinion about the fuel pumps. Years ago, my wifes '86 Accord's fuel pump(low pressure, carb) failed at 40k. I opened it up and it was a Mitsubishi. Even the Japs. have bad days. The new Honda one went another +-150k.Go figure. Andrew

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
All chevys have that wine. And bigger the engine usally loader the sound. But you know your truck. If it has a big difference in sound then i would replace. But the cold weather would make it a little noiser but should go back to the normal noise after it warms up. Ive notice that the suvs make the loudest noise. I dont know why. But like I said U know your truck and the sounds it makes under normal opperating. If u hear a change from that i would investagate.

Rich:burnout

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I have heard this pump one minute is so quiet and another it is very loud so i think it may be on it's way out the door.:(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I would replace it if it verys it should have a constaned wine. And for the price of a pump its not worth the down time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Walt

Sounds like the majority of the guys think it should be replaced.

Stay close to your phone, I may need you!

Anyone work at a GM Dealership and know of this problem whine first hand?

I know, quit whinning. :wah Ha, ha.:haha

Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
76chevyman said:
All chevys have that wine. And bigger the engine usally loader the sound. But you know your truck. If it has a big difference in sound then i would replace. But the cold weather would make it a little noiser but should go back to the normal noise after it warms up. Ive notice that the suvs make the loudest noise. I dont know why. But like I said U know your truck and the sounds it makes under normal opperating. If u hear a change from that i would investagate.

One of the biggest complaints of the C5 Corvette is a noisy fuel pump

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
on my 98 serria it has always had a whine... actually i think its been doing it solong i would begin to worry if stopped doing it lol personally if it were me and the pitch of the wine kept changing i would change the pump just to be safe... but make sure ya run the tank down before ya drop it to change it... its a pita to deal with a full tank of gas when changing the pump...

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fuel pump on our 98 Z71 has been making that noise for a long time and had pressure/power checked, changed filter and no change, GM said let it be, we have and the truck still runs like a top. having said that the thing could go tomorrow or last for another 6 years, who knows.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

Sorry for not writing sooner. We have been super busy with all the snowing and blowing here in western New York.

Well, we changed the fuel filter and guess what? The noisy fuel pump has quieted down quite a bit. I can hardly hear it.

The old filter when tipped, was loaded with black fuel. First thought was how did that filter get so plugged?

I should see an increase in MPG.

You can bet from now on, that fuel filter gets changed every 3rd oil and filter change (9000 miles)

Thanks guys for your input.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bob Van said:
The old filter when tipped, was loaded with black fuel. First thought was how did that filter get so plugged?

[/B]
I always cut my old filter open, just to peak inside. The metal must come from the fuel nozzle going in and out, black from water and mildew(?). Is there a difference in brand quality? Fram has a bad rep. in their oil filters. I opened up a plastic fuel filter from my '90 Ciera, the quality seemed good. I've seen some cheapy filters were the paper media was too thick and no surface area. I installed a NAPA (Wix) ff. Double the price of the Purolater. $12 v $6, though the Wix had one more quick disconnect on the filter. Add $0.50

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I remember when the station owners changed the filters on the pumps frequently. I can't recall seeing this done in years.

Maybe because most fuel stations are corporate owned now a days and have no regular maintenance program.

I should have acted quicker to replace my filter when the pump started making noise. I blame myself for not doing so.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got a 98 GMC k-2500. Mine was the same thing. Whining started about a year after I bought it (new). Changed the filter and it quieted down. When the pump was dying, I had hardly any power. And when I would step on it at an idle, it would cough out of the intake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts