Snowplow Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Not sure why you think he's being a problem to you.

4 white lights pointing backwards, shining in oncoming drivers' eyes. He was right, you are creating more of a hazard than you're attempting to prevent.

Pretty sure you're not going to find a state in the union that allows white rear facing work lights.
+1. You are potentially blinding other drivers, which could lead to an accident. wouldn't want to be the cause of an accident with people being as sue happy as they are now-a-days. Best thing to do for clearing hydrants if you have a flat bed is to mount a light to the bed facing sideways. Pull up parallel to the hydrant and then turn the work light on. As soon as you're done, turn it off.

As for use of amber lights, amber lights are to be used as a signal to proceed with caution. Which means, like Oomkes has now said several times, they are only to be used when operating in a manner that is not in compliance with regular road rules. If you're actively in the process of snow removal, they need to be on. If you're driving from account to account they need to be off. Just like the rear facing white lights, amber lights that are on for no reason can also be considered a hazard to other drivers because 1) you are not using the lights in the manner that they are designed and 2) we do most of our work at night. However, that means in conditions such as white out conditions with limited visibility, it is acceptable to use the lights.

This isn't rocket science. And the officers are doing their job. If you're breaking even a stupid amber light law, they are still enforcing it. Unless you know anything about police strategies, I would not start with the "they have real criminals to catch" bull crap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
these lights are not bright halogens, they are the stupid 3in. utility lights...they are not pointed straight back but 45 degrees down and at an angle. backing in and around curbing ...telephone poles..etc I need to be able to see. Im not trying to break the law or cause a problem. Im trying to be safe and work safe.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I agree with the cop on this one. Rear facing white lights can cause all sorts of problems.

First, blinding other drivers. While those aren't highly focused headlights, they are bright and distracting.

The other problems is that other drivers don't know which direction your vehicle is traveling. I don't recall the exact facts, but there was an incident in our fair state a few years ago because of this. A fellow had turned his truck around on the interstate to assist a vehicle that was disabled. Other people coming down the highway couldn't tell which end was up, and went off the road. I believe a couple people were killed.

As mentioned, park the truck upwind of the hydrant. Let your headlights illuminate the work area, and most importantly, let the truck protect you if someone isn't paying attention.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
That's right risking there lives pulling over them outlaw plow guys trying to earn a buck...In the mean time all these god damn illegal aliens are out there selling drugs and stealing people's sh!t,but were are them cops, pulling over hard working people trying to survive in this country with a dumb ass president & a bunch of bleeding heart ****ing liberal @ss holes spending the tax payers money & don't give me that sh!t that cops don't have quota's
I personnally would love to see some cops pulling over plow trucks. Every vehicle with 4 wheels has a plow on it around here. No exhaust, no door panels, half of them have no windows or lights, and forget about insurance or even registration for that matter. :mad:

30 pack beside them on the seat and away they go. Bring on some enforcement, competeing with these "hard working guys" is getting old. Most of the ones I see are also the same ones on the dole from the town getting heating assistance and free handouts. All their plow money goes toward beer.:mad:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I personnally would love to see some cops pulling over plow trucks. Every vehicle with 4 wheels has a plow on it around here. No exhaust, no door panels, half of them have no windows or lights, and forget about insurance or even registration for that matter. :mad:

30 pack beside them on the seat and away they go. Bring on some enforcement, competeing with these "hard working guys" is getting old. Most of the ones I see are also the same ones on the dole from the town getting heating assistance and free handouts. All their plow money goes toward beer.:mad:
They don't have any money to pay the fines Alan. It would be the real plow companies getting harassed and written up. After all we are small business owners, we must be loaded, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm with Alan on this one.Lots of junk trucks plowing now,can't keep count of how many i see plowing snow across the road leaving trails everywhere:mad:.My light is on only when i am actually plowing,i see guys everywhere running with them on constantly,even driving on the turnpike:rolleyes:.Maybe this new governor will do like one of the other states,Kentucky i think that now requires drug testing to recieve assistance money.I have to be drug and alchohol tested for my work,so why shouldn't everyone else.:popcorn2

·
Registered
476 Posts
I didn't read it all but in my opinion guys think it's "cool" to have their lights on all the time. They are also the ones that drive around a all winter with their plows on the truck. I see wig wags, light bars, rotators, etc.
Bunch of wasted money in my book.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I didn't read it all but in my opinion guys think it's "cool" to have their lights on all the time. They are also the ones that drive around a all winter with their plows on the truck. I see wig wags, light bars, rotators, etc.
Bunch of wasted money in my book.
I don't get it either....when I slow down put on the turn signal, pump the brake & then turn on the strobe the vehicle behind me has a pretty good idea of my intentions. Works for me.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I just got back from a salt/clean up run,seen several guys driving with yellow lights.I find them irritating,especially tonight,its clear,no reason to be running them transporting.The LED and strobes are dangerous IMO,they are blinding bright and create a distraction.Those same lights would be ideal in a snow storm with low visability....but not tonight...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just got back from a salt/clean up run,seen several guys driving with yellow lights.I find them irritating,especially tonight,its clear,no reason to be running them transporting.The LED and strobes are dangerous IMO,they are blinding bright and create a distraction.Those same lights would be ideal in a snow storm with low visability....but not tonight...
Don't know why I said 'strobe', I have a rotating amber beacon. Tired I guess.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nearly hit some guy this afternoon,i was travelling on the road,he was backing out of a drive,no lights of anykind,not even a brakelight:mad:,a few minutes down the road up come up behind another guy with just a solid amber light on the passenger side on the roof,not sure what the hell that was supposed to be.Stopped at the store,left for home ended up behind a FEL travelling with his work/backup lights on nearly blinding everyone trying to get by this moron,for godsake,if you arent using them,SHUT THEM OFF.:mad:Just wish some of these guys would learn the laws and abide by them.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Good reading, I like the comments, I can almost understand the point because there are guys that got 1,500 to 2 grand in lights on a p/u truck that blind you almost like cop car lights...hmmm...Go get em occifer...Another revenue source also :cash...A little common since on both sides of the plow guys & the cops it might just work

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
oh yea it's all about common sense.

It's a minor thing that can cause big issues.

Just shut them off and leave the big blinkies to the city.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a mini lightbar on top of my truck. It is only on when I am plowing. People ignore this light anyway, as most guys drive around with them on all the time.
Guys on these sights brag about how many lights they have on their trucks and how bright they are. Then they drive from job to job, saying look at me.
As far as police and emergency vehicles using their lights, use common sense. This means there is an emergency. Your snowplowing is NOT an emergency. You are not a fireman, police officer or paramedic. Your light is a warning light to be used when you are plowing. Period.
For the guy(s) that have axes to grind against cops,.......if someone was violating you, your family or property, all of a sudden you would want them there.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts