Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I doubt they would lie about the law. And I don't think there is any reason to run your yellow/flashing lights between jobs.
I agree. Its been a pet peeve of mine that people drive around with yellow lights flashing for no reason.If the cops drove around with the red and blue going after a while people would ignore them. When I was a kid yellow lights were on towtrucks when they were towing a car to warn other motorists they were working. Id like to see the no yellow in more states. :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
So I guess I really wasnt too far off in thinking that 9 ft plow and larger there should be a light on. Different states do things differently, and its all interpetation. I'm surprised that insurance companies dont mandate something as there is more of an exposure with 1000 lbs hanging on the front of a vehicle. Again I'm always learning here...its all good.
Why do you feel there is more exposure with the plow on? I personally feel the truck is easier to drive with the plow on and sander loaded.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Director of Comedy
3,084 Posts
Bottom line hitting a car that didnt have warning you were there with a plow on and sander loaded will have much more devastating effects than not, think what you will but I want lights on and people warned I'm coming and I'm loaded.
Cops have no reason to drive around with lights on all the time so I see no connection.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bottom line hitting a car that didnt have warning you were there with a plow on and sander loaded will have much more devastating effects than not, think what you will but I want lights on and people warned I'm coming and I'm loaded.
Cops have no reason to drive around with lights on all the time so I see no connection.
My thoughts as well....Just my opinion

·
Registered
748 Posts
I don't run warning lights when I haul my dump trailer loaded to 12k, total at 20K.....

Big rigs don't run warning lights, they run anywhere from 80K to 130K

I thing warning lights should only be used if you are traveling in a manner that is contrary to the roads normal traffic.

So if you are a wrecker stopped to change a tire or do a tow - yes warning lights on.

If you are plowing a driveway and backing into the road, yes warning lights on.

If you are traveling between jobs moving at the same speed as traffic, no need for lights on. As has been mentioned, the more warning lights are on, the less impact they have.

Just my opinions.....

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I leave mine on i would say most of the time because all my jobs are on a main drag and the time difference from one to another is not that great. i only have one that is more than a few miles and i do somethimes shut it off going to there. but i have gone by cops with out them even giving a second thought.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Up here the lights for snow is blue. I leave mine on till im done coz the second i shut it off is when someone will run into me, and the cops will say why didnt you have it on. I had cop pull over one of my Bobcats that was doing sidewalks and he started bitching to him why was his blue light not on. Guess they got nothing better to do like catch criminals just bother the honest guy all day long.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anything over 8'6" is over legal width in PA and is supposed to have an DOT oversize hauling permit. My stepdad is a PA trooper and says that any of the strobes/lightbars are considered a distraction unless you are an official emergency vehicle (police/fire/ambulance) and could get you fined. He also says most of the police dont know or care.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't run warning lights when I haul my dump trailer loaded to 12k, total at 20K.....

Big rigs don't run warning lights, they run anywhere from 80K to 130K

I thing warning lights should only be used if you are traveling in a manner that is contrary to the roads normal traffic.

So if you are a wrecker stopped to change a tire or do a tow - yes warning lights on.

If you are plowing a driveway and backing into the road, yes warning lights on.

If you are traveling between jobs moving at the same speed as traffic, no need for lights on. As has been mentioned, the more warning lights are on, the less impact they have.

Just my opinions.....
I agree, I have a rotating one on top and stobes under my light bar faceing back, I only run when backing into the road way, I want to make sure that if I don't see someone they have a chance to see me, I also agree that they should be off otherwise. I have never had a problem with cops on this matter and if one is useing them right the cop would have to be a real d$&k head to stop you for it. Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do they still run yellow rotating lights on the first and last vehicle on a Military Convoy ?

If so , what is the hazard there ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Anything over 8'6" is over legal width in PA and is supposed to have an DOT oversize hauling permit. My stepdad is a PA trooper and says that any of the strobes/lightbars are considered a distraction unless you are an official emergency vehicle (police/fire/ambulance) and could get you fined. He also says most of the police dont know or care.
I'd think that they'd want you to have a warning light going if you're plowing out someones driveway or what have you and backing into the street. Let people know to slow down some (not that they will anyway). Guess I'll have to ask the state troopers I know... I just got a new warning light...

Do they still run yellow rotating lights on the first and last vehicle on a Military Convoy ?

If so , what is the hazard there ?
The hazard? How bout lots of guys with guns that know how to use 'em and big heavy trucks that will crush a car like an empty beer can? :usa

I haven't seen any convoys lately running them, at least around here. Saw one the other day, two Hummers, 4 APCs and 3 5-ton trucks. No warning lights, just big green monsters. :cool:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It sounds strange, but I thought Fisher used to say you had to have your warning lights on when transporting the plow, and Fisher is made in Maine. I always feel guilty for turning mine off when driving between locations, but I like the relief from the reflection off the snow. I read that quite a few years ago, perhaps things have changed. I haven't read the owners manual in a long time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
john damps

its all been said here in this post, but i believe the officer that gave you a ticket is an *******,yiu may deem you job to job an emergency plus you whant to be seen on a low visabilaty snowey night,i cant see how you are breaking any law;;;

·
Registered
102 Posts
Up here the lights for snow is blue. I leave mine on till im done coz the second i shut it off is when someone will run into me, and the cops will say why didnt you have it on. I had cop pull over one of my Bobcats that was doing sidewalks and he started bitching to him why was his blue light not on. Guess they got nothing better to do like catch criminals just bother the honest guy all day long.
Actually, if you are still running around on the streets and hwys in Ontario with a flashing blue light then you are breaking the law ... for over 3 years now. Private individuals & contractors (unless plowing on behalf of a municipality) are supposed to be running amber flashing lights.

http://www.swscanada.com/pages/BlueLightsOntario.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
I run my mini bar strobe on the road when visability is poor, if it just snowing lighly it's off ..
Backing into roads or working near them it's on better have some caution light going vs none..

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a State Trooper that lives on one of the roads I plow. The last time I was in there plowing he was coming out I stopped him and asked him about running flashing lights all the time and he told me that as far as he was knew there was NO law saying you couldn't...He also added he thought it was a good idea ..

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
So, you guys that turn your warning lights on from start to finish, answer me one question:

When's the last time you saw a fire engine\ambo\police car running lights and siren back to the station\donut shop\etc?

They're warning lights for a reason, warning people of abnormal driving--sudden stop\turns\backing up\etc. This is to warn people that a plow or salter is not following "normal" driving patterns and when you're going up the road from account to account, you should be following normal driving patterns.

Bet most of you would piss and moan about fire\ambo\popo driving all over with their lights on, and eventually people would ignore them (more than they already do) and would make warning lights pointless.

Only exceptions I can understand are SMV's or wide loads.

JMO

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
So, you guys that turn your warning lights on from start to finish, answer me one question:

When's the last time you saw a fire engine\ambo\police car running lights and siren back to the station\donut shop\etc?

They're warning lights for a reason, warning people of abnormal driving--sudden stop\turns\backing up\etc. This is to warn people that a plow or salter is not following "normal" driving patterns and when you're going up the road from account to account, you should be following normal driving patterns.

Bet most of you would piss and moan about fire\ambo\popo driving all over with their lights on, and eventually people would ignore them (more than they already do) and would make warning lights pointless.

Only exceptions I can understand are SMV's or wide loads.

JMO

someone just hit the nail on the head

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sooooo I guess the way I look at it is when I finish one job and I'm driving to my next..... Is Much like a fire truck going from one fire to another ....Or an ambulance going from on accident to another...Hmmmm :D

21 - 40 of 75 Posts