Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last storm we had here in S. Maine (a long time ago..lol) a lot of us were out plowing for many hours. As we go from one drive to another or from parking lot to another, we have our strobes and or yellow lights on. The local police decides to pull each of us over and tell us its illegal to have our lights onand the fine is $139. Can anybody confirm this??? I think its bull. If I'm traveling on a public road with a 9 or 10 ft plow I think insurance companies would want us to make people aware. Looking for opinions and comments. :popcorn2

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Cant do it in MA either . 102" is the widest you can be without an oversize permit . Ticket for that to .

·
Registered
109 Posts
lights are only to be used in the act of plowing no to be used from one site to the other old law mostly not inforced but the staties will pull you over in a heart beat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I guess I am wrong in thinking the way I was....always learning in here

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
lights are only to be used in the act of plowing no to be used from one site to the other old law mostly not inforced but the staties will pull you over in a heart beat.
Exactly. told my boy not to do it. his boss did and he got pulled over.
My boy said "THANKS DAD" :)

Even pulled one guy over during a snow storm cause his plate was covered with snow and unreadable.
I think that officer has moved on. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Always has bothered me seeing contractors driving with the lights on when not necessary. People see them so much they become use to them, and the lights no longer mean anything out of the ordinary. I understand loaders and tractors or other slow or oversized equipment should have them, but not a street legal vehicle just driving on the road. The law makes sense to me!

·
Registered
184 Posts
here EVERYBOBY leaves there lights on till they are done their route
also here only the city and people plowing for the city are supposed to us blue lights but the police tell even private guys to use blue NOT amber:beatsme

·
Registered
184 Posts
What color are police, fire, ambulance?
police - lots of red little blue and the old ones are red and white
fire, abm - red and white

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Director of Comedy
3,084 Posts
Personally I think the law is trash, here in CT you need a permit and when ever any of my trucks are in service the lights are ON, why do you think the town and state trucks have them on?
When I'm moving down the street with over 1000 pnds of steel hanging off the front I want to let people know I'm not a car or just a pickup coming down the road.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Personally I think the law is trash, here in CT you need a permit and when ever any of my trucks are in service the lights are ON, why do you think the town and state trucks have them on?
When I'm moving down the street with over 1000 pnds of steel hanging off the front I want to let people know I'm not a car or just a pickup coming down the road.
Totally Agree !
In this Fine state of IL.:haha aint that a bankrupt joke ! You must obey the law, Only amber lighting is allowed, All vehichles while in transport with plows 8' and under must not have there warnning lights on, all those at 8' to 11' must have ambers on while in transport at all times no matter what, All those with up to 14' must obied by the same with no smaller than a 14"x14" dot certified warning flagg posted onto the side of the plow while in transport !
Yahh ! tried that, it ripped to shreds in 4 miles.:grinz

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I guess I really wasnt too far off in thinking that 9 ft plow and larger there should be a light on. Different states do things differently, and its all interpetation. I'm surprised that insurance companies dont mandate something as there is more of an exposure with 1000 lbs hanging on the front of a vehicle. Again I'm always learning here...its all good.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Cant do it in MA either . 102" is the widest you can be without an oversize permit . Ticket for that to .
Have never heard of either of them.But if i,m plowing on state roads for the the state how the gonna write me a ticket?The state requires safety lighting operating during a snow event.As for the oversize permit i doubt that very much also.

·
Registered
273 Posts
OH YAHH !!!!!
I forgot to mention transport of a plow over 11' in width by private contractors is only permitted during an event. State, village, & county trucks exempt.:popcorn2

1 - 20 of 75 Posts