Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like alot of us in the Midwest will be plowing for Christmas for the second straight year. Here in the Chicagoland area, we have not had a plowable snow yet. It just seems typical that our first plowable storm might hit on Christmas.

Last year I had everyone but one employee call in on Christmas, I plowed for about 20 hours straight. My wife and kids had to leave town without me! Please not this year!

Chuck B.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Looks like were gonna get it too.It will be warm and rainy early in the week,turning to snow right before christmas.Oh,well,what can you do.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Christmas- Again

Looks that way for use again too. But thats the just of a 24/7 operation. Last year it seemed that most contractors, except me and a handful waited until the next morning to work. That was a big mistake on there part as when the snow fell it was heavy and wet. Then Christmas night we had a hard freeze. Most lots buy then where packed icy steel.:argue. There is a Meijer Store next to one of my accounts.They are open 364 days a year It is closed for Christmas, and opens at 12 midnight. Well that lot wasn't even clear for there opening ar midnight. :eek: . It was a big icy mess. Oh well I just laughed when I went by. As all my lots where black, and I was on the way home to get some:zzzz
Well if it was up to us I'd rather not have snow on Christmas, but it's not :grinz !
So to all, Have a Merry Christmas!
Even if we have to work still try to enjoy it!
Scott

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Last year here in NJ we got snow on Christmas and it was a pretty good sized storm too, like 6-8" if I remember correctly. This year its gonna be much warmer, hitting 45-50 degrees next week and they are calling for rain on Wednesday. Rain on Christmas really wouldnt *feel* right, would it?? :confused: Im not saying it has to snow, but rain? :rolleyes: Mike

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I'm holding my breath!

Last year we got a blizzard that started 9:00 am Christmas Day and ended about 5:00 am the following morning. I was in the truck about 36 hours, total accumulation was about 18"!

We had to postpone our Christmas celebration to Saturday when I finally had things caught up and had gotten a little sleep.

I used to dream of a "white Christmas" as a kid, now I dread them. That and Thanksgiving are the two days of the year I look forward to to do nothing but relax and visit with family.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree Pelican... I am really holding my breath... We had 24" it started around 11am, and lasted thru the next day... I worked well over 30 hrs, before all was cleaned up... I would like to see my family this Christmas.....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
snow on christmas is always unfourtnate but usually we can hit the lots that need to be open take an hour or two break and then go and open the rest of the lots up... but sometimes it doesnt always work as easy as it sounds...

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Yeah Pelican i agree lets have a green xmas so we can enjoy our families.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I remember last year we got to plow on christmas. I spent the morning though with my family and then went plowing. I havent got to plow one time this year either. It really sucks. I really need to make some money!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Last year we had to plow on Christmas, I was lucky all my employees showed up and worked no problems, but it was still no fun. At least it didnt start snowing till about noon time so got to spend the morning with my daughter and family so it wasnt all that bad, but it still wasnt fun having to plow. I think we got 12"-15" and worked for a few days on that storm. Looks like no snow for us this year. Happy Holidays to everyone.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
from the look of our forcast may be out salting, and not plowing.

From the NWS Wednesday. Cloudy with a chance of snow showers. Highs in the mid 30s. Chance of snow 50 percent.

Wednesday night. Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Lows in the mid 20s.

Christmas day. A chance of snow showers in the morning. Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 30s. Chance of snow 30 percent.

Thursday night. Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 20s.

Seams like some of use may have to be out doing something over the Christmass hollidays.

Tileman Merry Christmass to everyone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
40's & 50's here around Philly............I'll take the rain for now.

We've had one plow able and one salt event before Christmas.

That's not bad for our area. Just hope the temps start to drop

and stay down. Don't need a season like 2 seasons ago.

Mark

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree, last year was out plowing for over 24 hrs, it kind of worked out seeing that my son and son inlaws all plow too!! the women stayed home with each other and had a party!! looks safe for us in these parts, but thats what i get paid to do!! i know its harder for you guys with young kids and the people who have to travel. all the same I would like to wish every one on this site and thier familys a safe and happy holidays, and then LET IT SNOW big time start the new year right!!!plowing! :usa :cash

·
Registered
382 Posts
Rain:beatsme It's been 3 weeks since last plow, starting to get the shakes..........:rockonn

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have been looking at the same thing here in the Chicago area. Same thing last year. It would be nice if it snowed on the 26th, but from the looks of it they are saying it could snow on the ev of the 24th...

Not much you can do about it though. If mother nature says it's going to snow, it's going to snow.

·
Registered
447 Posts
A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE ON TUESDAY AND TUESDAY
NIGHT...CHANGING TO ALL SNOW BY WEDNESDAY MORNING. BEST ESTIMATES OF
ACCUMULATION ARE IN THE 3 TO 5 INCH RANGE FROM TUESDAY MORNING TO
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON SOUTH AND EAST OF A LINE FROM BRIGHTON TO BAD
AXE...INCLUDING FLINT...PORT HURON...AND THE DETROIT METRO AREA.
It is bad timing. But it is better than nothing at all I guess.
BRING IT ON. I am ready for it, so that decreases the chances alot. ha

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'll take the snow when ever it comes:D Where forcast to get rain on christmas:rolleyes: :mad:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm not complaining. It could be worse guys... it could rain all winter...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right now they are calling for the storm to go south of Chicago. With snow showers for most of the lower Great Lake states. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Chuck B.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts