Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just replaced my starter,ignition coil,rotor and spark plugs in my 78 chevy k10 truck,i have fairly new spark plug wires but there is no spark to the plugs im sure this problem is something simple but i just cant troubleshoot it!need help guys im lost!!

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah another thing i ment to add is there is a thing on the firewall that looks like some sort of ground with 3 wires attached one goes to the alternater one to the starter and theres one wire that is cut and i dont know where this wire goes heres a pic of the THING on the firewall!!

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Did you get the right coil ? They have different ones,depending on the wire colors.You did put the little rotor button and spring under the big rubber washer right ? Could you new coil be bad ? Maybe swap the old one on.

There should be 2 or 3 connectors on the dist cap.Large red or pink to the batt term,the 3 prong connector,and possibly a brown tach wire that goes to the tach terminal.

The other possiblity is one of the wires frm the module or pickup coil is broken,they are very fragile on the older trucks.

I don't have my wiring manuals handy,but I can tell you where that wire goes tommorow when i get into the shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i did the install right!and my original coil had red and yellow wires so thats the coil i got(carquest)!i have three wires to the dist. cap,theres the three spade wire a brown wire that goes to the fuse block and a black that goes to the firewall,is it possibile that there is a bad ground somewhere,or a bad ignition switch?the engine cranks normal but it just dosent have any fire to the coil,and how would i test the coil with a multimeter?

thanks

·
Registered
610 Posts
do you have power to the coil with the key on

john

1 - 6 of 6 Posts