Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only thing nice about not getting any snow is that I'm getting alot of work done on my truck. Next on my list of things to do is replacing the stock 4800# springs with a set of new 6500# springs, and while I'm at it I will replace the front shocks with 2 new RANCHO RS9000. Also while I'm working on the suspension I will install a set of Firestone Ride-Rite air helper springs on the read end. I'll try to take some pictures as I go along.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Sounds like a fun project,be sure to take lots of pics,as I'm sure other members here may attempt the same thing on their trucks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark Oomkes said:
I'd highly recommend the Bilsteins, unless it's too late.
I thought about Bilsteins, but I have used the RS9000's before and they worked good for me. It's nice to be able to adjust up the shock when the plow is on, and later I'll do the rear end and in summer when I pull the trailer, it's nice to be able to adjust up the rear.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done, Pictures

Got it done, not hard at all. Any questions, just ask.

1st picture is of the old 5400# spring

2nd picture is with the spring and shock removed.

3rd picture is of the new 6500# spring and RANCHO RS9000 shock.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just a few more pictures....

1st pic is of the stablizer link removed.

2nd pic is of the Timbren

3rd pic is the new spring/shock and timbren

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chevyhauler said:
Is that powder coat on the springs? It looks real sharp!!!! I am interested to hear how well it holds up in the elements.
I wish :nodd It's just spray paint. Thought it would look nice to match the RANCHO shocks. It rides about the same without the plow on. The timbrens were just touching the axle with the old springs and now there is about 3/4" between the timbrens and axle. Not sure if I want to mount the plow and drive around some tomorrow :beatsme might keep any snow away even longer. Might just mount the plow and see how much the front end drops.

Tomorrow I will install the Firestone Air bags.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
One tip for next time,or anyone else attempting this.

Remove the sway bar links at the top through bolt,as your less likely to end up with galled threads,or a siezed nut.On older trucks it can be difficult to get the lower nut off without heat,which melts the rubber bushings.

The springs look great painted.They will probably rust,but they are so easy to change,you could just pop them out and repaint. :D

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Kent, nice pictures and very nice work. Only thing I would have changed is the shocks.I am not a fan of the RS 9000 at all for coil spring 4x4 trucks.I have driven a ton of Dodge Cummins trucks both with bilsteins and Ranchos,and there is no comparison at all.I hope yours last longer than they do on the Dodge/Cummins.They get about a yr out of a set of fronts ifthey are lucky.My bilsteins are 3 yrs old on my CTD,and I punish it pretty bad,they still are in great shape.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before and after

1st Picture is of truck with plow on before replacing front springs and shocks and old 265/75 R17 tires.

2nd Picture is after replacing the Stock 4800# springs with new 6500# and new shocks and new 295/75 R17 tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
wyldman said:
One tip for next time,or anyone else attempting this.

Remove the sway bar links at the top through bolt,as your less likely to end up with galled threads,or a siezed nut.On older trucks it can be difficult to get the lower nut off without heat,which melts the rubber bushings.

The springs look great painted.They will probably rust,but they are so easy to change,you could just pop them out and repaint. :D
Chris,

Not to hijack the thread but you speak of heat from time to time so I have a question for ya. You ever use an inductive heater? I bought one for my shop about 9 months ago and the dust has been collecting on my torches ever since. If you have gotten one see your corn guy and try to demo one.....Rob

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
wyldman said:
Awesome,that's the way a truck should carry a plow ! :D

Chris you said it there should be min.to no front end drop for a plow prep truck.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
cat320 said:
Chris you said it there should be min.to no front end drop for a plow prep truck.
Exactly,but the factory will never get it just right.If they use really stiff springs,then the consumers complain about ride quality,and it's too stiff.

As long as the springs are cheap (which the Ford coils are),it's easy enough to swap the springs you want.Not everyone will want the stiffest available,depends on the motor and plow choice.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wyldman said:
Exactly,but the factory will never get it just right.If they use really stiff springs,then the consumers complain about ride quality,and it's too stiff.

As long as the springs are cheap (which the Ford coils are),it's easy enough to swap the springs you want.Not everyone will want the stiffest available,depends on the motor and plow choice.
I couldn't believe easy it was to replace the front springs. I have a new set of 5400# springs if any one wants them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts