Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
more curious than anything, I am sure every thing is fine, since I havent plowed a damn thing yet...
But noticed the plow has play from side to side, kinda up and down on each side. How much play is ok. Just noticed it last night, when we didnt ;get any snow again....lol....
everything seems fine, thanks:canada :canada

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Sounds like the center pivot bolt is lose tighten it down and should be ok then.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok,, thanks i';ll check it tomorrow.
must have losened off from just driveing around.
:canada :burnout

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Don't crank it up too tight Mike,the plow needs to be able to pivot from side to side.If you crank it up tight,then it will just wear the pivot area quicker,as the plows moves to follow the contours of the ground.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yea, my Western has some side to side rock to it also. But like Chris said, I think a little side to side movement is good to follow the contours of the ground. Not everywhere you plow is perfectly flat and level. This is one area where I *think* Western has an advantage over that of a Fisher plow. Fisher has a pin, not a bolt, so therefor Im assuming there is no side to side wobble at all?? Mike

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would also check if the center bolt was warn? the last storm a friend lost the center bolt, tweaked the a frame !! Campi !!!!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Fisher does have a pin- but there is stil some movement. My blade as a little more than I would like- but I looked at it today and even putting a new pin in it would not tighten it up much. I would pull te bolt just to make sure it does not have any grooves wore in it- better to replace it now than in a snow bank in the middle of a storm. If your in doubt about replacing it, or even the wear on it- replace it and keep the old one as a spare- I usually replace a part like that if it is in question- cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned. If I replace it- guaranteed not to have a problem- but if I don't first major storm in the wee hours of the night I will break something. Since it's not that much- definitely worth replacing it now while it's easy to do.

Just my $.02.

Bill:burnout

·
Registered
152 Posts
Loose bolt on Western

My 7.5-foot Western Pro plow had a lot of play in it last year, and I didn't do anything about it. When I took my plow in for a pre-season tune-up this year they had to rip the whole thing apart and weld up my A frame.

It seems that if that bolt is loose and you continue plowing it will eventually wear out the hole it slides into, and eventually crack the steel around it.

I now carry a wrench in the truck to ensure that bolt is nice and tight.

A new A frame is about $600 Canadian. Much cheaper to keep an eye on that bolt.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Mike 97 SS said:
Not everywhere you plow is perfectly flat and level.

It will be if you crank it as tight as it goes lol plowing! :wink

·
Registered
905 Posts
snowjoker said:
It will be if you crank it as tight as it goes lol plowing! :wink
LOL!I bet you'll reduce cutting edge wear by 95% once you got her down flat and level:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts