Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used 7.5' western that is operated by the old cable system 3 years ago, dont know the pump model or anything as it's that old and any ID is long gone. This plow has always been dirt slow, after the first winter I had new cables installed to eleminate that question, but when I moved the arms behind the access covers on the pump by hand, the plow moved up and down extremely fast, guys at the shop disregarded my testing fun and said the way it is now is the way it's gonna be. Up and down is alright, but the side to side is a joke. I can literally back up in a 120' parking lot I do and it's just hitting the opposite lock position. Hooked it up the other day to avoid problems when it gets too cold and snow flies and the pump was froze up, gott'er back today, sealed the motor case/pump and it works the same if not worse than last season. After reading on plowsite.com , I'm almost positive it's an air bleed problem. So can somebody paste a link, or give me a quick rundown on how to bleed this fossil
I deal more with building/remodeling and this plowing is to get away from it all and make some play money, hence me not buying a new plow to play with. Look forward to any help from you fellas, thanks.

I just was referred to this site from a memeber of the other plowing board, and since this morning I have worked on the plow and I'll paste that response as well, still looking for any advice though.:

Well, went to bro-in-laws since he had a identical plow years ago, only his was new. We ended up draining all the fluid since this was pretty milky, the he bled it like he does his tractor cylinders by loosening the fitting where it goes into the angle cylinder. We did notice once all was said and done that the side to side seemed to work faster when the plow was just barely raised, when fully raised the action slowed down again, he thought it was turning okay, but I've seen another plow like this work as fast a new one and even he said his would slam when going lock to lock. So now I have new fluid, but still not the performance I guess I think it should have. Thanks for any help you can throw at me.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey IHI good to see you made it here, I'm surprised that no one has been able to answer your question yet. Oder yet is that no one has tried. I'm truly dissappointed.:( Chris were are you??
Maybe it's because it's a Western plow and they never break down.:)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
windmill said:
Hey IHI good to see you made it here, I'm surprised that no one has been able to answer your question yet. Oder yet is that no one has tried. I'm truly dissappointed.:( Chris were are you??
Maybe it's because it's a Western plow and they never break down.:)
Oh boy, what can of worms did I open up? :shades

My old company truck used to have the new uni-mount system and it was very fast, and very powerful, used to push the truck out of the snow bank when I'd get it hung up, this plow I have now does the job, but is by no means worth a chit. I'm hopin it's just an adjustment issue, but since I have no prior experience with these things I have no experience to reflect on.
If you guys need tips and tricks for drag racing, I'll help ya in any way possible:burnout

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hey IHI, nice T/A, what are the specs on it?

I found this on the Western website. It is the Mechanic's guide for your plow, downloadable. You can choose from the long version of the short one. I'll bet the information you are looking for is located here. I'm sorry I can't help more.

Mechanic's Guide

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks snowybowtie! Get'in it all printed right now.

As far as the car it's been a slow work in progress, I gutted the thing in Jan 03 installed the cage then sent her off to the paint shop. Got'er back and then retro-fitted the interior from a 98 firebird. Performance if lacking, it's just got a lowly 355 in there right now, but it is a deadly brkt motor, it alwyas hits the dial and the driver is the one who screws up:) not the car too bad it only runs high 12's @103-04mph. I just got back from Detroit 2 weeks ago, we had a photo shoot and the car is going to be in an upcoming issue of Pontiac High Performance, I'll have more info by Mid December when the photographer gets the photos/info sent in. As of now the new mill is under construction, I want anywhere in the 10's and still streetable so I've been collecting good name parts all summer and hopefully by spring the entire new drivetrain will be installed. I raced this car in Street/Sportsman and occasionly in Super Mod and also did the Jeg Caughlin 2 car deal this summer racing this car and also drove a 10sec. ride for Roberts Racing. That ride was all new so the back of the season was spent working out the bugs, getting the chasis tuned, etc...the very last race of the fall series was when it ALL got figured out and then I broke out .001 in the semi's.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
IHI.........Hey another Pontiac head here !

I get PHP mag. also ! Too bad it is only printed
every 2 months ! I will be looking for the pics !

I have had my Goat for 29 years ! (Yea I'm old)
Don't drag it no more...Just Sunday summer
crusin' now!:burnout

..........geo

BTW: Did ya catch my post that might help your
plow problem elsewhere?:huh

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey sonjaab, I've taken all the advice from both plowing forums and I think I have all the info I need to get everything in tip top shape, downloaded & printed info from the western site so I definately think I have all things needed now, just gotta get into the shop and do it:)
Dont wanna get off topic and get this locked, but I'll tell ya bout the photo shoot.
The thing that threw me off at first is that you must go to the mag, they dont come to you. So we loaded up the RV and set off on a 600mi. road trip to Detroit where I met the photographer and the guy that got me hooked up with this deal. I had to fill out a ton of paperwork for legality and all specs about the car, then the photo shoot itself only lasted about 1.5 hrs. I get no free issue when my car comes out, all expenses, almost a grand once I have all the decals reprinted I had to remove for sponsors/contignecy money I have to pay for, AND I have to pay for the duplicates that the photographer took just so I have some personal documentation. Got to keep the PHP paper license plate though I figured it's a once in a lifetime opportunity so wtf, and after talking with these 2 guys I found out just how difficult it is to actually get a spot in a magazine. I still dont know what spot I get, but am assuming a section in the pavement pounders. When we first set on on this adventure I wanted to blow up at least one part of the drivetrain wheather it be motor,tranny,rear, slicks since it's all being taken out and replaced before next season since what's in there now was just a "crutch" until the cars ext/int were done and I need a 10 sec street car.
They said I should now more by mid december, but hte fastest they have seen a car go from phot shoot to publication is 6 months, and it is more common to be a year to year and a half since right now they are working on their June of 2004 issue, I guess most publications try to work 5-7 months ahead of schedule. This was all new to me, so figured I 'd pass the info on as well for somethin to talk about. I'll throw up a pic the day I rolled it out of the shop, this was before I got the stereo equipment installed, but you kinda get the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Where do you drag? I frequently make trips up to Cordova Dragway Park. Maybe I'll see you there, I think there is a Pontiac Nat'ls up there annually.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hit every race at Cedar Falls since it's only 30 minutes away, I go down to Tri-State in early spring, late fall since it's a gauranteed win casue the NHRA guys are a little slow:) and that's the only time that track will hold cars-even slow beaters like mine, we all call it the Teflon Track since they're traction compound obviously hates heat and direct sunlight, you literally have to dial in a spin factor once they start the eliminations after dinner, you typically lose .05 in the 60' or worse. I've raced Cordova 3 times, last year Div. 5 nationals, this year in the World Series and again at Div. 5 nationals. They have a great program down there in Cordova, with an excellent track, except for the shut down area, I got a little jumpy at the World Series though, the car was dead on the number taking out bikes and rails all day long for three days, but I always red lit. in later rounds, I knew those .005 lights would catch up to me, but they helped for a few races I had-still, most the guys I raced at that event were a far cry from what I consider stiff competition in Super Mod. I just hope the new manager at CFR next season gets things back on track, the traction is great here on race day, but they are seriously lacking in a professional program to keep racers wanting to come back. So far the "talk" sounds pretty good for what they are planning for next season with some high payout big bucks and they're working with Byron-same owners- and Eddieville to corridinate schedules, but again, time will tell the true story when the season gets under way again.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Dare I ask where you got the most help IHI????
Nice pics of the car, I was worried about the response you would get showing that first pic because I knew there were a lot of car buffs here:D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
windmill said:
Dare I ask where you got the most help IHI????
Nice pics of the car, I was worried about the response you would get showing that first pic because I knew there were a lot of car buffs here:D
I'm too new to these boards to get in the middle of past problems:p so I'll just say that it was a combination of both sites and really good guys willing to help me out. I'm just sad to read about all these boys drivin Nopowers, ahh I mean Mopar trucks:p
Actually, I've been debating on a new truck myself, and since you cant really wrench on these like in the old days, it really does'nt matter what brand you go with. I drove Chevys growing up, got tires of spending the weekends working on it, bought 1 Ford that I currently own and have been impressed with the realibility of this thing, it's spend it's whole life doing the work of towing and hauling that should've been on/behind a 3/4T and it's held up really well. I'd like to get a new SD F-2/350 with the powerstroke, but the new drievetrain in the Chevy HD with the Duramax and allison really have me druelin, and then you have the Dodge with it's good looks and roomie interior, not to mention the nice warranty, so we'll have to wait and see, bought my moms house from her and so I got a long list of remodeling to do again-man just finished the house we sold too, what was I thinkin?-half the land and no out buildings now:headwall Oh well, better schools for the little monster when she gets older.

Here's a pic of the other car that I sponsor, 78 Malibu w/ stock 454 runnin 11.30's and the S-10 I drive for a guy 383 runnin 10.7's and hopefully after modding this winter low 10's-this was first trip to the track mid summer and it's all painted now lookin sweet. That's why the car has to keep up with them AND be streetable so I can drive by their houses and laugh:cool:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts