Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? The dealers have been getting ready for the bigger trucks that they call "bubba"
They dont have final specks yet, but I would bet it wont be too long before a diesel is in place?
I wounder if there only going after the 1/2 ton market or if they plan on the 3/4 and 1 ton's?
I dont know if I could go with one of these jap trucks or not...

Here's a link

http://money.cnn.edmunds.com/future/2007/toyota/tundra/100392461/specs.html

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
labsnducks said:
I dont know if I could go with one of these jap trucks or not...

No doubt it will be reliable, well engineered, powerful, and expensive. But it is butt ugly! My thoughts exactly, Mike.

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Now that, my friends, is an ugly truck! :nope Look at the long wheel base, that things gonna have a turning radius bigger than my F350! Their fames must not be strong enough, so they pushed the rear axle back to get a higher tow rating, but it looks stupid in the process. Better than the ridgeline, but it's still not in the same game as the big 3. Don't see many import trucks around here anymore, I think people are wising up again... :usa

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I read in Diesel Power Mag that Toyo could make a deal with CAT for diesel power in their 3/4/ton . Now that would be something .

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
BWhite said:
I read in Diesel Power Mag that Toyo could make a deal with CAT for diesel power in their 3/4/ton . Now that would be something .
In all honesty,the smaller cats are nothing special.Im a big fan of the larger Cats,but if its under a C10,these engines are medicore at best,and most of them do not last.IMO,the best small Cat's are made by Perkins for small applications.The likely step up from whatever toyota would use is the 3116/3126/C7.That is an engine plagued with several durability,and reliablity issues.It is no match for the 5.9B or 8.3C Cummins in most areas.The larger Cat engines are excellent,and have great luggability,much better than a Cummins for some applications.The 3406 is one of my favorites. Cat parts are very expensive,you can rebuild a Cummins for 1/4 the price of a Cat.With that said I find it hard to get excited about a small Cat,esp since the Cummins B just got stretched to 6.7 liters.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Well they still have a long way to go I think to make a real work truck and not just a weekend worrier truck.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
John DiMartino said:
In all honesty,the smaller cats are nothing special.Im a big fan of the larger Cats,but if its under a C10,these engines are medicore at best,and most of them do not last.IMO,the best small Cat's are made by Perkins for small applications.The likely step up from whatever toyota would use is the 3116/3126/C7.That is an engine plagued with several durability,and reliablity issues.It is no match for the 5.9B or 8.3C Cummins in most areas.The larger Cat engines are excellent,and have great luggability,much better than a Cummins for some applications.The 3406 is one of my favorites. Cat parts are very expensive,you can rebuild a Cummins for 1/4 the price of a Cat.With that said I find it hard to get excited about a small Cat,esp since the Cummins B just got stretched to 6.7 liters.
John ,
As I understand my C-9 (wet liner ) engine is included in the "real over the road " engines ?
http://ohe.cat.com/cda/layout?m=85541&x=7

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Bill,I wasnt reffering to the C-9,mostly the 3116,3126/C7.I dont see many C-9's ,there a little small for the big trucks,and too big for the 22-30K trucks we see here.If Cat could build an engine that could perform,and last as good as the Cummins,for the same price as the cummins,with part as reasonably priced,I'd love to have an option of it.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
John DiMartino said:
.If Cat could build an engine that could perform,and last as good as the Cummins,for the same price as the cummins,with part as reasonably priced,I'd love to have an option of it.
That would be nice LOL imagine a Cummins,Duramax , Powerstroke,Cat power war in the pickups . :grinz

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Toyata just needs to do the right thing. Mix all the best into one truck and they'll have a hot item. I'm talking Ford cab/chassis, Cummins engine, Allison Tranny, and they'd sell like hotcakes. :greenange Dream on I guess... :beatsme

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
wizardsr said:
Toyata just needs to do the right thing. Mix all the best into one truck and they'll have a hot item. I'm talking Ford cab/chassis, Cummins engine, Allison Tranny, and they'd sell like hotcakes. :greenange Dream on I guess... :beatsme
Why havent they started this 10 years + ago . They must see issues .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't want to sound like a **** but some of you have no business bad-mouthing this truck or Toyota. The new Tundra is considered a heavy 1/2 ton but is built heavier than most 3/4 tons. Their new 5.7 ltr is 382hp with 403lbs of torque. All of the reviews and tests show none of the trucks in its class come close competing. Not even everybodies beloved HEMI! This "jap" truck is 100% built in USA. (texas) If you have never owned a Toyota you don't know what your missing and in my opinion have no right to put them down.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
Don't forget that good ol' American assembled tindra wears a bed
that assembled in mexico.............
toyota.com PROUDLY has the tell on that one and about how close
that parts factory is near the NEW tacoma factory in B C mexico!

Yet still NO snow plow prep. along with a factory warranty on that
"heavy half" truck...................
Them "wimpy" light 1/2 ton Fords and GMs have a factory plow prep.!
Hmmmm.................

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Montgomery Landscape said:
I don't want to sound like a **** but some of you have no business bad-mouthing this truck or Toyota. The new Tundra is considered a heavy 1/2 ton but is built heavier than most 3/4 tons. Their new 5.7 ltr is 382hp with 403lbs of torque. All of the reviews and tests show none of the trucks in its class come close competing. Not even everybodies beloved HEMI! This "jap" truck is 100% built in USA. (texas) If you have never owned a Toyota you don't know what your missing and in my opinion have no right to put them down.

Welcome to LTS

I have worked on a couple of Sacoya's and iam impressed the frame and v8 engine are strong i thing toyota is under rating these if , Bubba looks anything like the Sacoya's it may not have a snow plow prep but the frame rails are strong enough for at least a 7.5 plow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tundra platform. In my opinion the 06 and older Tundras are very inpressive. The 4.7 has alot of power, great suspension, and as you said , nice solid frame. They Beefed-up the new Tundra and it should be outstanding in towing, cruising, plowing, or work truck. My local Toyota dealership has a 98 Tacoma with a 7 1/2 fisher that they have been plowing there lot with since 98. They can't say anything bad about it. Next year I should be plowing with a 07 Tundra, just have to wait till next month to get one then wait for some one to make a plow for it.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Montgomery Landscape said:
The new Silverado 1500's max tow package included a 367HP 380ft lbs of torque 6.0 V8,an engine that is proven,with a 4.10 geared Locking diff,over 2200lb payload,10,500lb tow rating.Where is toyota's big advantage?The new toyota may nip the new silverado in hp/torque,a 15hp advantage at almost 400hp is hardly noticeable,certainly not a nothing in its class comes close.Id rather work on the silverados engine any day ,no timing belts,Ive seen the toyota engine,its very hi tech and complicated for a truck,GM is simple 2 V V8 ,cam in block,with new VVi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not going to try and debate with closed minded people. I was always a huge Chevy guy, never owned a Dodge so I can't say anything about them and I plow with a Ford right now. Now I bought the Ford because it was a great deal, had a heavy ladder rack, and a fisher plow. In my opinion Chevy stoped making well built, dependable trucks in the 86-89 range. I would not hesitate to buy a 85 Chevy any day. And as for working on the Tundra (I can tell you have never owned a toyota) YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO WORK ON IT. Another thing you might want to check is resale value on you beloved domestic's compared to a Toyota.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Maybe they dont need snowplow prep. How much plow weight can one hang ......according to the Owners manual . They wont break if ya cant work'em .

1 - 20 of 77 Posts