Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have taken delivery of the new truck (’95 2500 for those just tuning in). I had them put the BFG 235-85 16’s on it. Only an inch shorter than the 33x9.5x15’s on my old V-10 Chevy, but this truck is much lower to the ground. Actually, I don’t think the ground clearance is much (if any) less; it’s just that the whole truck appears lower.
So far, I like the truck. It goes great in the snow (we got around 6” last night) and it rides MUCH better than the old truck. It had a little hesitation when I took it home but I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through it and it seems to have cleared up.
The back end of the truck sits much higher than the front. How exactly does one “crank up the torsion bars”, how do ensure it’s level, and how much adjusting will require a re-alignment of the front end? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you crawl under the truck, about in the center of the door, on the frame, there will be a crossmember with the two torsion bars running into it. There you will see two bolts, clockwise will raise the front end, counter will lower it. Depending on the torsion spring rates which can vary, you maybe have to crank one more than the other, so that the truck sits level side to side.

I would not try to get any more than 1-1.5" out of them, as this will increase front end wear. If you plan to leave them cranked up like that, instead of just for the winter asn many guys here do, I would reccomend an alignment.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
DEER.......Easy to do.........

Jack up front of truck to take the tension off bars.

Turn them clockwise to raise
Counterclockwise to lower

Count the # of turns so you can drop them back down
in the summer. If you leave them cranked a alignment
would be a good idea...........geo

·
Registered
132 Posts
I cranked mine up 7 turns, raised the truck about an inch...
handles fine, just rides a little ruffer. No big deal thouagh.
:canada :burnout :canada

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Follow the torsion bar back,to the crossmember under the truck,and you will see the adjusting bolt.Turn it clockwise to raise the truck.5-6 turns is a good starting point.I wouldn't go more than 8 or so,or you'll be running the suspension to far extended,and it will ride terrible,and "top out" over big bumps.

The "keys" are what the adjuster bolt pushes against,and aren't needed to crank up the bars a few turns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts