Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 8.6 pro-plus for my 2002 Silverado 2500HD and I decided to save the $400 and install it myself with some friends. We got the whole thing put together in about 3hrs w/three of us + one drinking buddy to bs with. We realized that there were a couple of wiring harneses missing; the one to the pump, the controller, and a positive wire. I went to the dealer the next morning and they said, that they tried to call me about giving me the wrong hydro unit. They then told me they were going to give me a different wiring harness for the hydro they gave me to match my truck.
The question is: are there huge differences in western's hydro's or do I believe the dealer that the differences are just in the connections.
I didn't want get upset with the dealer, since they gave me a pretty decent price on the plow and a 1000 hitch mount spreader. Unistalled for $4450 after tax.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
hate to tell you this... 3674 installed plus tax

I had a choice between two harnesses. One was the old-style 2 plug, (relay/solenoid control) or the new, three-plug isolation module. I have the isolation module.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The price I posted included the tailgate spreader also. I have the isolation module I believe, just not the right headlights, I guess, and something else. The parts that I need are not in stock, so I have to wait till monday. Is there a benefit of the isolation module over the relay style? I have to look again to see what it is exactly the are having me give back.

Jeff

·
Registered
908 Posts
The isolation module (E-force) is the way to go, no more relays going bad all the time. If they gave you the eforce hyralic unit they should have the headlights in stock (part # 64100), all the e-froce units use the same lights.

·
Registered
905 Posts
E-Force all the way(Isolation Module)Aside from being relaible and easier to install,the light kits are also cheaper than the relay type harness/lights.
On a side note about lights-go to your dealer and get a price for just one light,SCARY:eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got back to the dealer and got the right parts. When I first got there the owners son said my new wiring and lights was not in yet, so I told him that I didn't want the old relay style and wanted the correct hydro unit. He said he couldn't do that because he had ordered me the new lights and wiring.
I then told him it was a bunch of b.s. that I was putting a brand new plow on a new truck ('02) and that I didn't want old school wires. He proceded to tell me that he only sells the plows and really doesn't know the components, but said he would try to figure out how to wire the older pump to the e-force module, and we would make it work since I live close.
Now is where the fun begins. We both went into the stock room and opened some new e-force boxs and I proceeded to take wires from the kits that I needed according to my instruction manual. I went on my way with the parts that I needed, and put them on my truck and plow. Magically everything hooked up fine and my plow worked perfectly. I am just curious why I couldn't get the correct wires in the first place and is there really a difference in the pumps that they sell.
Sorry the post is so long, I had to vent a litlle about the situation.

On a side note, is $4450.00 after tax, a good price for a 1000 spreader and a 8.6 pro-plus? I am just curious because my friends think I should get some freebies (deflector, or emergency kit) for the trouble I had to go through. I am not worried because I feel they went out of the way to give me a deal ( they had originally quoted me $5200.00 until I found out my grampa knew the owner) and I don't want to burn my bridges if I need a repair.

Ventingly Yours,
Jeff

·
Registered
905 Posts
If it was an old pump the lift cylinder would be built into the same unit(all one piece) and that would use a relay system,however if it's the new style pump the lift cylinder and hydraulic unit are mounted seperate.
I'm not sure what kind of luck he would have wiring an old pump to an E-force module,especially after he claimed he doesn't know anything about it:confused:
The question is what pump do you now have and under the hood are your wires plugged into an "Isolation Module" or 6 relays?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
are there 2 different pumps for the ultramount? Seems to me that the only thing different (plowside) is the harness (3 plugs). Truckside, it seems that just about everything is different except the controller and solenoid.

By crash935's post, I was under the impression you guys meant there were two different ultramount pumps, by Arc Burn's post, it seems that he thought the second 'older' pump was the red (unimount) pump.

But you can get an ultramount, with a new (black, separate from lift cylinder) pump, with a old-style wiring harness (9-pin, 2-pin) if that's what you want (or your dealer wants to sell you)

Is this correct?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Crash does mostly Westerns so he will surely know better than I as I am all Fisher,i have yet to see were you can get a Fisher with either pump and i'm not sure why you would want the old one.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
They still make both styles, the Ultra mount and the (older style) Uni Mount.

Classis case of, dealer needs to be biach slapped, for lack of brain power.

These parts come in a bunch of boxes, not all in one box, some dealers place all their boxes inside and the moldboards and framed outside. Then when you buy, they go pull the boxes needed for your plow.

I hooked up a new 9' Pro plus, and yes, it was a joy. 9 man hours is about right the first time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just trying to add to the confusion on the Western hyd units. The UltraMount FloStat hyd units do come in two flavors. One for the relay system and one for the iso mod system. The main difference of course is the harnesses that you get with it.

And just for the record UniMount and UltraMount hyd units are wired the same. Meaning if you really wanted to you could make an UniMount work with a iso mod system.

Western was also cool enough to offer conversion kits to change over relay system plows and/or vehicles to the iso mod system.

Western rocks!!!

Cheers M8s!

:usa

1 - 11 of 11 Posts