Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone knows how to remove a rounded lift valve / screw on Western Isarmatic IIIa (cable) pump?
The previous owner rounded out the hex head. I tried a hex key & wasn't aware the valve screw is actually plastic & I believe I've just made it worse.

I've owned it for two seasons and in prepping it for the upcoming season, I found an angle ram had leaked and drained all the fluid, so I replaced both lower rams with new, reassembled, filled & bled the system. Now the blade doesn't lift more than 6 inches (side rams work fine). I've also ordered a new lift valve & pump filter & gasket just in case.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Wondering if anyone knows how to remove a rounded lift valve / screw on Western Isarmatic IIIa (cable) pump?
The previous owner rounded out the hex head. I tried a hex key & wasn't aware the valve screw is actually plastic & I believe I've just made it worse.

I've owned it for two seasons and in prepping it for the upcoming season, I found an angle ram had leaked and drained all the fluid, so I replaced both lower rams with new, reassembled, filled & bled the system. Now the blade doesn't lift more than 6 inches (side rams work fine). I've also ordered a new lift valve & pump filter & gasket just in case.
Sounds like you will have to get a new cable assembly and the cut the old one and drill and tap it so you can put in a threaded bushing.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I could walk you thru how to remove the plastic lift valve if you would like to give me a call at the shop Tuesday or when you get a chance.

John...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John, that would be awesome. (sorry for the late reply)
I'm available 9:00am -2:00pm during the weekdays.
What's a good time for you?
Regards, Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I haven’t had a problem yet... The internet can be a good thing sometimes...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Just about any time is good.. If I can't get to the phone leave a message and i'll call you back... John...

·
Registered
290 Posts
All parts are readily available.
I am surprised by that considering that most companies aren’t big on providing parts for things reaching 30-40 years old...
Then be surprised cuz he's right.

You can't buy mounts to install it on a new truck but beyond that most all the components are indeed available. Off hand, about the only item not available to my knowledge would be the entire power unit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's fixed!!!

I spoke to John this morning for about an hour. Awesome guy, very friendly & knowledgeable!!:notworthy

We discussed many avenues of possible causes & remedies.... Probably the LAST CASE scenario would be removing the lift valve, which would have taken some drilling with a specific bit as to not damage the aluminum housing/casing and tapping / chasing the threads after removing the remnants of the plastic / nylon valve and installing the new one
- Not something a novice like myself really wanted to attempt anyway... :nope

Turns out I didn't need to remove or adjust the lift valve after all.

What I did was: (with the vehicle off) push down on the upper ram in the neutral position, unhook the chain, & loosened the packing nut a little on it)...I raised the ram without the chain to test it, shut it off & pushed the ram back down until it bottomed out & tightened the packing nut back up. I hooked the chain back up, (2 links lower than where it was) & started it back up... Works awesome now, with full lift!!

Many thanks to John for his time & advice, & to the rest of you guys for your suggestions & concern!!!

Happy Plowing! plowing! MIKE :drinkup

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Then be surprised cuz he's right.

You can't buy mounts to install it on a new truck but beyond that most all the components are indeed available. Off hand, about the only item not available to my knowledge would be the entire power unit
I am surprised. It is hard to find parts at times for things like a 145GZ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts