Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I requested forum I better use it :) Plan to fix the leak in my new Curtis today. Any other Curtis owners out there who had leaks with their new plows?

-Henri

·
Registered
526 Posts
Henri -
Where are you getting a leak ? I have been running my Curtis 4 years now, no probs

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to be coming out from around the top of the raise / lift piston. The entire outside of the case it nice and slick. Not a ton of fluid but it was dripping a little on the Hydraulic cover last week when I plowed.

-Henri

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the oil this weekend and it was down so I made sure everything was nice and clean then I raised and lowered the plow a few times. I found this nice little blob of oil coming out from around the top of the piston. Must be a O ring issue :confused:

I'm bringing it to the dealer next week, we shall see.

-Henri

Attachments

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Try tightening the round nut at the top of the piston. They require a spanner tool to do it properly, but a pair of Channel Locks will work. Just snug it and check it, if you make it too tight, the piston won't want to drop and you'll wear out the seal faster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The lift cylinder has a leather chevron style packing below that gland nut. Tighten the nut and it should stop or all but stop. I have seen some come from the factory pretty loose. The leather will also shrink after it sits and drys out, this can happen between the time it is manufactured and when it finaly gets installed on your truck. I have also had some that never stop leaking, but Curtis should give you no problem replacing it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys:

I tightened it as much as I could with my channel locks and that seems to have done the trick. I think it may still leak a tiny bit but at least it won pump out 3-4 oz. every time I plow :D

Now, I just to figure out how to best mount my 12" home made rubber deflector. I'll get some pics up when it's done.

-Henri

·
Registered
2 Posts
same issue

The lift cylinder has a leather chevron style packing below that gland nut. Tighten the nut and it should stop or all but stop. I have seen some come from the factory pretty loose. The leather will also shrink after it sits and drys out, this can happen between the time it is manufactured and when it finaly gets installed on your truck. I have also had some that never stop leaking, but Curtis should give you no problem replacing it.
Try tightening the round nut at the top of the piston. They require a spanner tool to do it properly, but a pair of Channel Locks will work. Just snug it and check it, if you make it too tight, the piston won't want to drop and you'll wear out the seal faster.
I noticed a leak in my lift cylinder last night, was going to call around for a replacement tomorrow, but took the advise, and tightened the nut, No Leak
SWEET!!!

Thanks Guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts