Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new laptop as a result of a minor accident involving our chimney repair and am trying to set up the wireless network but I have no idea what my Network Key is.

Is there a way to turn the option on to view the characters? I can still use my old one, sort of, but what I thought the key was isn't.

Is there any way around it or to reset it?

·
Registered
701 Posts
There should be a reset button on the router itself, it'll take everything back to the factory defaults and you'll have to set it up again.

·
Registered
400 Posts
if you have verizon fios the its the "wep key" on the side of the router

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There should be a reset button on the router itself, it'll take everything back to the factory defaults and you'll have to set it up again.
That sounds way over my capabilities.

I see me losing all network and internet connections if I try this, especially with my luck.

if you have verizon fios the its the "wep key" on the side of the router
Nope, and I had a computer geek set it up so he made it 'unique' and dumbass that I am can't find the paper he wrote it down on. :headwall

Thanks, keep the ideas coming. lol

·
Registered
748 Posts
Let me get the boy.......

Alden says resetting the router should do it. Use the reset button, not unplug it. He said to hold reset button down for about 10 seconds with a paper clip.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hey mark, this is Steve's son Adam here.

I need to know what brand the router is (should say dynex or linksys on top) if it doesn't have a brand on it (model number would be awesome) please explain what it looks like in detail so i can try to figure out what kind it is. Next is one of the huge steps. You need to plug your laptop directly into the first port on the back of the wireless router. There should be up to 4 ports on it but you only need one.

The reason i need to know which brand it is has to do with the address they are located at by default.

a linksys would be at 192.168.1.1 probably. What this means is that you need to open up your internet browser (probably internet explorer) and type those numbers into the address bar.

This will bring you to a login page where you need to use the login info (probably default and I can check on the default login when I know which brand/model is) From there you can change things like the default WEP or WPA(2) key.

A lot of this will make more sense when I know what the model/brand is.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whew, hang on guys.

OK, it's an Actiontec (great brand name, huh?) GT724WG

SSID: D0AJ8
WPA PSK: 1801DAC16D
MAC ID: 001801DAC16C

Palmer, you did see the part about me screwing everything up right?

I tried the number you posted Adam as I remember seeing that down by the shop (in the house now) and it came up with a bunch of garbage from Bing. No login page, yet.

Thanks so far

·
Registered
748 Posts
Whew, hang on guys.

OK, it's an Actiontec (great brand name, huh?) GT724WG

SSID: D0AJ8
WPA PSK: 1801DAC16D
MAC ID: 001801DAC16C

Palmer, you did see the part about me screwing everything up right?

Yeah. I thought we might get rid of you for a while. Deco is losing his mind.

I tried the number you posted Adam as I remember seeing that down by the shop (in the house now) and it came up with a bunch of garbage from Bing. No login page, yet.

Thanks so far
Alden is still working on it here.....or hear?

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Adam and Steve, it was a good try. Probably the issue is on my end, between the seat and the keyboard. :rolleyes:

Alden is still working on it here.....or hear?
Sorry, can't get rid of me that easy.

Let me know short of a system reboot.

Should clarify, when I said reset, I meant reset the key, not the router.

Can always pay a computer geek to figure it out.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Type 192.168.100.254 into IE from a working computer if it asks for a user/pass enter admin as the user name and DAC16C as the password and press enter. Hopefully that wasn't changed.

Somewhere in one of the menus you should find a WEP or WPA setting that will have the key listed. I can't give you much more info than that as the Actiontec site doesn't have a full manual. As long as you don't change any info you won't screw anything up.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Type 192.168.100.254 into IE from a working computer if it asks for a user/pass enter admin as the user name and DAC16C as the password and press enter. Hopefully that wasn't changed.

Somewhere in one of the menus you should find a WEP or WPA setting that will have the key listed. I can't give you much more info than that as the Actiontec site doesn't have a full manual. As long as you don't change any info you won't screw anything up.
First part was Adam's advice, no worky.

So is it asking for a password?

Alden said to try 1801DAC16D - the WPA PSK
I'll try this.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Didn't work as in nothing showed up or the user/pass didn't work? If nothing showed up try the following.

Click the start button, go to run, type CMD. When the command prompt shows up type IPCONFIG /ALL

Under the wireless connection write down the Default Gateway?

Then try what I mentioned earlier but substitute the 192.168.100.254 for the number in the Default Gateway

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:headwall :headwall

Bill Gates is an idiot.

Did I mention this is Windows 7?

I can't find Start. :rolleyes:

Does it matter if I tried from the new puter, hooked directly to the modem?

All that comes up is a bunch of crap links from Bing.

I'll keep looking and trying.

Didn't work as in nothing showed up or the user/pass didn't work? If nothing showed up try the following.

Password and\or username didn't work.

Click the start button, go to run, type CMD. When the command prompt shows up type IPCONFIG /ALL

See above, can't find the stupid start button anymore.

Under the wireless connection write down the Default Gateway?

Then try what I mentioned earlier but substitute the 192.168.100.254 for the number in the Default Gateway
Keep trying this as well.

Thanks fester.

Palmer, we'll see, I have to get to bed as well, freezing rain advisory was just pulled out of some weather idiots rear end.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hmm if the user/pass comes up incorrect then I'm pretty sure resetting everything may be your only option. Find a neighbor kid and pay him $20 bucks to fix it :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts