Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just purchased a 2009 Silverado 2500HD with snow plow prep package.
I want to install a brandnew plow on this truck but I need some help with the plow brand selection and style. My old truck which I sold had a 7 1/2 ft fisher that was an old speedcast straight hydraulic which I had for many years with no trouble. So I am partial to fisher but are they still the best? Also I live in the Boston area and I dont know what the Law is on lighting for a plow. I want to install hide away LED strobes to keep the stock look of the truck but I am not sure if that is Legal. And do I have to have a rooftop beacon even if I install the hide away strobes? I have been looking at all the brands and people have told me different things about each. I do mostly driveways and some small lots.
Thanks John

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is Fisher the best? That's opening a can of worms. Like Ford/Chevy?Dodge: everybody has their own opinion.

That being said, I use Fisher stuff. Why? It's what I know, and has not let me down yet. While there are dealers selling other brands here in MA, it still seems to be predominantly Fisher. Parts are easier to locate, and there are more shops familiar with them if you ever need repairs done. Nothing against other plows. I personally think that most of the manufacturers make a good unit these days. I'll likely stick with Fisher unless I have a solid reason not to.

Lighting is another opinionated topic. Hideaways in the factory lights are OK, but the last truck I used with them drove me crazy with the flashback off the plow up front. I wasn't that convinced that the visibility from the side was too spectacular, either. I prefer a roof beacon for visibility from all angles. They do make magnetic mount ones, too, so you could only have it on during a storm if so desired. Like I said, opinions vary. Some guys swear by hideaways.

The biggie in MA is no flashing red or blue lights. Ive heard that clears are not legal, but have yet to find it written anywhere. Generally speaking, if it's amber, you're OK. Wouldn't hurt to ask your local Police dept, either.

This is all I could find online, and it basically says no red or blue: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-7e.htm

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plow selection

Ok so I will stay with Fisher then. The other question I had was what do you think of the xtremeV? I have only plowed with a straight blade what would be the advantage to the v? Do they break down more easily?

Where did you mount all the hardware for the strobes? I saw one truck that had them on the floor in the back seat area. I dont like that I would like to find a place to conceal that stuff. I use the back seat area to store stuff and carry people sometimes.

Thanks Again John

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like the V, though I use a straight blade (I plow streets). I've heard that the first batch had center pin problems, but my understanding is that that's been resolved. Also, I heard that some of the early handheld controllers failed, but also resolved. I think it's been out long enough to have had any issues resolved.
There would be more components on a Vee, so I guess the likelyhood of a failure would be statistically higher than a straightblade. If maintained properly and not abused, I think it will hold up as well as any other plow out there. I would say that the biggest advantage of a vee (or a scoop plow like the XLS or Blizzard) over a straight blade would be in cleanup. With the wings forward, the plow will carry more snow, with less trailoff the sides.

The truck I used with the hideaways had everything behind the seat also, but it was a regular cab. Nobody to worry about, since no back seats. I believe most strobe power supplies are not waterproof, so they would need to be in the cab somewhere. Any room under a seat? It would need some space around it for airflow. The cables could be run under the carpet, and exit a slit in the carpet near the power supply.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Good answers powersmoke. The pin costs something like $17 dollars, not an issue. Do make sure the lower end doesn't bend.

The cutting edges are expensive, guess they all are now. I had mine trimmed a bit at the center meeting point so they couldn't touch. I'd rather leak a bit of snow than risk having them bump and bend or bind. I had the welder cut off a small triangle. Don't want them too tight on the rough roads I do.

The primary advantage of the V is cutting straight through deep snow and drifts. The secondary advantage is clean up. They excel on roads and driveways, you can close them down on drives to fit by stupidly parked cars.

If you mainly do parking lots (I don't) consider that as you close the wings forward to make a scoop, you cover a narrower width. I rarely use scoop, except I often put just a wee bit of bend so I'm running a "straight" with a curve shaped like a bit of a cup, to reduce spill off the wrong end. In rare situations I curve the blade the other way, if for instance the snow won't spill off the correct end easily enough.

More valves, more moving parts, more complex, all true. Double acting cylinders. On the other hand, more control, double acting means active, not passive collapsing. Less length to spill if you trip the edge. And it trips easier, before breaking something. Fisher V's were originally stronger than straight plows, with a double A frame supporting the plow blade. They have been trimming that strength back, and using the experience to beef up the straight blades, which I broke constantly. I found V's to be longer lasting. Even if the new XV is not as strong as the MM1 EZV, I'm happy to replace mine with XV's for the increased speed and less painting with the stainless.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you are considering a Vee, keep an open mind and compare the Fisher to the Boss. Pay particular attention to the hinge design/construction. The "new" Fisher pin is a just a band-aid on a big ole open sore. The wing hinge design is lousy. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
I think the plow question has been pretty well summed up.

But i have to ask a question ? is there something written on line somewere that states a Plow truck has to be lit up like a brick **** house.?

Strobes give me a headache plowing and using the one wrecker for 4 yrs plowing the only time i lite up was on entrances or during a day time event .

I just think to much time and money is wasted on lights trust me i have been in the Wrecker /Towing buss long enough to know until they allow me to put Red and blues on i can have every light switch on in my Carriers or Striaght wreckers and on the highway i still get buzzed by traffic, yellow/ amber to me must mean speed up in most peoples tiny brain buckets.

I think a single beacon with low amp draw is more than enough on a plow truck did it for 18yrs got hit with the lights on or off..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strobes

Someone said to put the forward strobes in front of the plow blade so the light will not reflect off of the blade back at the driver. Maybe if they are installed in the plow lights it will not bother the driver as much. There must be some law that says a plow needs to be properly lit. If not they are all doing it so I got to believe lights make a difference. There are people who dont even slow down for Police or Fire aparatus why would they slow down for us? I am under the opinion that the more visible we are the better though.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I think the plow question has been pretty well summed up.

But i have to ask a question ? is there something written on line somewere that states a Plow truck has to be lit up like a brick **** house.?

Strobes give me a headache plowing and using the one wrecker for 4 yrs plowing the only time i lite up was on entrances or during a day time event .

I just think to much time and money is wasted on lights trust me i have been in the Wrecker /Towing buss long enough to know until they allow me to put Red and blues on i can have every light switch on in my Carriers or Striaght wreckers and on the highway i still get buzzed by traffic, yellow/ amber to me must mean speed up in most peoples tiny brain buckets.

I think a single beacon with low amp draw is more than enough on a plow truck did it for 18yrs got hit with the lights on or off..:rolleyes:
Couldn't agree with you more. I have two decent Whelen strobes on my headache rack. Would like add something to the back of the spreader maybe, but that's it.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Ok I just purchased a 2009 Silverado 2500HD with snow plow prep package.
I want to install a brandnew plow on this truck but I need some help with the plow brand selection and style. My old truck which I sold had a 7 1/2 ft fisher that was an old speedcast straight hydraulic which I had for many years with no trouble. So I am partial to fisher but are they still the best? Also I live in the Boston area and I dont know what the Law is on lighting for a plow. I want to install hide away LED strobes to keep the stock look of the truck but I am not sure if that is Legal. And do I have to have a rooftop beacon even if I install the hide away strobes? I have been looking at all the brands and people have told me different things about each. I do mostly driveways and some small lots.
Thanks John
What plow that has been sumed up pick the one you like and that has a dealer that will service you or that is close to you.
Lights i have alot because 1 i love them and 2 i need them in the places i plow are kind of behind things and the visability is bad. amber is the light of choice anything else you will probably get a ticket and be made to rip out on the spot. but privet proerty you can run what ever you want just don't go on the street unless amber.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Depends on where you live in MASS. Not many Boss Dealers in MASS. Fisher parts can be found everywhere. So unless you are close to a Boss dealer I wouldnt recomend it. They are a nice plow. But Zero dealers on South Shore. A few on North Shore. Then you have to go RI almost to find a dealer. MASS is a Fisher plow state. As for strobes in head lights. Save your money. The light will bounce off the moleboard and just annoy you. You find you never have them on. Buy a real nice Mini led light for roof. Unless you can use the strobes in headlights for other things. They are a waste for plowing in headlights.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you're really want to do hide-a-ways, you're looking at a few options. It's basically going to come down to strobe v. LED.

I prefer LED for plowing. Strobe light has a much higher "light refraction" than LEDs, meaning the light emitted by a strobe bounces off everything, including the snow, your plow, trees, etc. If you're going to be plowing at night, the strobes are going to bother you even more. LED's are better about refracting light. They don't bounce off of surfaces as much, so you won't see the light coming back in your face nearly as much.

Strobes have the big power supply's and are thirsty buggers. LED HAWs use a small driver that is built in-line, so you don't have to do anything special to install them. You just need to supply a positive lead and a ground. LEDs are less maintenance, draw less power, lower profile, but usually more expensive.

Stick to amber. I've installed lots of lights for fire fighters, landscapers, police, etc. Clear to the rear is a big no-no (rule of thumb) because it's blinding to the drivers coming up behind you.

If you're going to mount something on the roof, I would suggest an LED beacon, or a good ole halogen rotator. As for the plow... I don't have experience to comment on that yet. I'm just a light freak for now. :wink Questions, comments, etc., feel free to drop me a message.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I love V plows. :popcorn

I really liked the old Fisher V's.
I hear you had a real nice 9.5V? :popcorn2

Welcome to LTS John, I would just say what ever brand/dealer has a good reputation. JMO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what do you guys think about a meyer super V2?

I was looking at the Meyer site and they come with a 3/5 yr warranty.
3yrs on all cmponents and 5yrs on structural steel.
Does anyone have one of these and how do they compare to Fisher?

The trip springs are tension instead of compression is that bad?

If you own one of these have you had any problems?

Thanks for looking John

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Take a look at Arctic 3/7 year warranty plus the added benefit of a hot dipped galvanized frame and mount even , www.arcticsnowplows.com , you have to see the poly blades with the galvanizing, unbeatable .
What's my welder going to say when I bring my broken galvanized plow to him to weld it?

Something tells me he isn't going to like me.

What happens to the area that is welded? Galvanization is gone?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Take a look at Arctic 3/7 year warranty plus the added benefit of a hot dipped galvanized frame and mount even , www.arcticsnowplows.com , you have to see the poly blades with the galvanizing, unbeatable .
What's my welder going to say when I bring my broken galvanized plow to him to weld it?

Something tells me he isn't going to like me.

What happens to the area that is welded? Galvanization is gone?

I saw one of these blades up close yesterday, and although it is a very straightforward and seemingly robust design, I had the same thoughts about repairs. Undoubtedly at some point the welder may be required, and does this compromise the integrity of the steel? Besides pissing off the welder with the noxious fumes.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts