Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, im pretty much set on my new truck. i just need to decide on which plow i want to put on it. 04 f-350 supercab shortbox, 6.0 diesel.

im going to stick with a western, because they have been good to me, and i have like $2000 in spare western parts for my other trucks.

i was thinking of a 8.5 pro plus, but i was also thinking of an 8.5 v-plow

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Paul,

I have an 8ft. Western Pro, and after last year, I am kicking myself that I did not spend the extra money and get a V-blade. Most of my stuff is open commmercial, and I know that I could cut my time down by 30-40% if I had a V-blade.

John

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I agree with Chris. I saw some pictures of Heron Cove's Pro Plus w/ wings, it was very impressive, might even be able to stack better than a v plow. I wouls PM him and bring him over, but I don't think I can use PM's....

At any rate, I was very iimpressed by the stacking ability of a straight blade with wings.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'll go rescue him!!

I love my pro-plus!! it has taken some pretty hard hits with 9900# :shades;) behind the cutting edge and survived just fine. this is a SERIOUS peice of equipment!! Im gonna add the wings as soon as the cash is available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
western pro

Paul take my word and buy a western ultramount pro plow nothing like it. plows great stacks great. no other plow comes on or off like this. mine has taken some real hard whacks and not as much as a broken cotterpin. I did have one minor hydro leak and my local dealer is the all time worst at service but the product is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
If you are planing on doing alot of commercial parking lots it is really a coin toss.

Large open area never too manty obstructions- 8.5' or 9' PRO PLUS than add the wings. (however I thought I saw something about plow width and the NYS Troopers last season)

If you need to get in and out of small tight spaces, lots of islands, obstructions, single size loading docks, large snowfalls with big drifts across entrances/exits. V PLOW.

Time saved between the two is only relative to the type of lots you are doing. If you are like me no matter which choice you make you will wish you had the other.

I am also a Western fan BUT the BLIZZARD PLOW looks like the perfect answer to all the needs of a contractor. Straight in and out wings, and scoopable plow all in one. Just do not like the idea of having the mount with the headlights on the truck all year, and I do not think you will be able to find one this late in the season, enven if you wanted one, due to their manufacturing numbers.

Take a look at the Blizzard page.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I like the blizzard too, but I have yet to see if they can hold up like the old Western and Fishers of the past. I think they are a great design, but as with any brand new product, they still need to establish their reputation, and prove that they will hold up to several years of commercal [ab]use. The longest I have heard to date is three years, I think that's about as long as they have been making them, isn't it?:confused:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I thought pro wings did not recomend putting there product on any blade over 8'. Im not sure why, but I thought I seen this in an ad for them. Anyway just a thought about the 9' with wings. Does anyone know what prowings theory is?
Todd

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
T- I always thought it was due to the width that they would add, you would be well over the max. width if you put them on anything over 8'. It woudn't bother many, but some police might not like the idea. However, if the wings were removed before travelling, i don't see a problem with that theory.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
About the wings Im not sure the width issue for travel was there issue. If I recall they said (get this) you could run them on a meyer 9' blade???? Not a western though???? Anyone know why??
Todd

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
About the wings Im not sure the width issue for travel was there issue. If I recall they said (get this) you could run them on a meyer 9' blade???? Not a western though???? Anyone know why??
Todd

·
Registered
37 Posts
western 8.5

The pro-wings are not spec'd for the 8.5 western because the 2nd last vertical rib is in the way for the pin to go through the plow. This is what I was told but I'm not sure on the 9 western , it may have the spacing similiar to the 8 western ( which the wings go on fine)

·
Registered
217 Posts
The NEW Western Pro PLUS is designed for Westerns New
Blade wings .
On and off with 1 hitch pin.

These are the wings they are talking about.

Very nice unit.

Can't wait till next season for the new plow & truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.