Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went out and hooked up my plow to check it over and noticed that one cylinder won't hold that side of the plow outward. It creeps back ever so slowly. Since I am completely new to plows... what is wrong (if anything) and what should I do about it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
660 Posts
You either have:
* A leak in a fitting, line, or cylinder you'd know it for sure.

* A lot of air in the system.

* A defective Relief Valve (the one that collapses the wings upon impact)

* A defective control valve

But first I would make sure all connections are tight, all wires are tight, and fluid is properly full.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tommy..

I don't see any leaks what-so-ever. Everything around the valve assembly, hoses, and cylinders are super clean. The hoses and fittings are new.

How do you know if you have air? How do you get it out?

I will check the hydro fluid again tomorrow. It looked okay.

What wires specifically? The ones on the valves?

As far as a valve.. Is there a way to identify which would be the culprit so I don't have to buy both?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Air in system.....Should fix itself, but I was just thinking that since you just transported it, and it may have been upside down. It was just a guess.

I would check and wiggle every wire on the unit. Clean all major power contacts while your at it, including the power wires (weatherpack truck to plow socket) You could have corrosion and be getting a poor ground and that may be enough to make a solenoid stick a little.

As for which valve, determine your creeping plow wing side, and you can trace that hose back to the manifold. Each wing cylinder has its own line up to the manifold. This will allow you to determine which valve is the culprit. From there your on your own. I never (knock on wood) had a problem yet in almost 10 years with the BOSS, and haven't had the "hood open" much on it!!

Good Luck.

Could this be why the previous owner sold it? Would be easy to hide on visual inspection, and real easy for him to say it never did it for him. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tommy,

I don't think he was trying to hide it. We operated the plow before I hauled it back here (right side up) and didn't notice it then. I also operated it at a friends house the day before yesterday and didn't notice it then either. I don't know what's going on.

I'm going to pull the valve off tomorrow. Not knowing what to look for I hope the problem will be obvious.

Is there some kind of procedure to remove the valve? Do I need to drain or bleed the system before removing the valve?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sorry, I really don't know much more on that. Maybe someone else will chime in. You could PM some other BOSS owners and maybe they had some experience with this.

You could always call the factory 1-800-286-4155 and ask for some assistance.

For as clean as your plow looks, maybe its just dirt in the valve or something.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay.. Thanks for your help!

Hopefully someone else will chime in. I'm a little confused as to how the valve operates. Isn't it doing its job by moving the wing back and forth? How can it be defective? Or how would a spec of dirt effect it and cause the wing to drift?

Where is everyone else???

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well, when the valve is closed, there is NO fluid passing through. All fluid in angling cylinder must STAY there.

Problem is, something is preventing this valve from sealing all the way closed. The spring pressure on the wing is pulling the wing back in, and forcing the fluid back through the hose to the valve, and into the resivoir.

So either the valve is shot (worn, broken) or there is a small amount of dirt present preventing the valve from fully seating closed.

Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BUT...

If it were a wire/connection.. would it not function (no wing movement) at all?

And if it were dirt.. wouldn't it pass through by operating the wing back and forth?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious.. just trying to fully understand.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The reason I say to check the wiring is because a faulty ground may be leaking voltage to the wrong places. Making the solenoid function improperly.

I don't know the schematics of the system, so, I don't know if maybe this could be a cause.

Does it leak back if all POWER connections to truck are pulled?

Does it leak back when truck is OFF?

·
Registered
17 Posts
http://service.bossplow.com/database/trouble_shooting/rt3_vblade_troubleshooting_guide.pdf

9. Wing(s) extend, but will not
retract or retract slowly......

Check power/ground cables
and control cables are
connected properly.

Connect.

Check wiring on valve block
for proper connections.

Check for voltage between
solenoid valve terminal and
ground with ignition switch
on and control switch in