Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 F250 Custom with 351/auto. and a Western 8' Plow on front.

Noticed yesterday that the driver side front wheel was at a 'strange' angle when I parked after plowing. Hoping that I just parked on a rock or something I drove it around with my wife looking at the wheel.

Yep, didn't look right. Thought the ball joints might be bad so I
took the plow and chains off and dropped it off and a local garage. He says ball joints look OK?

What could be causing this problem? BTW: Without the plow on the wheel still looks ****ed, just not as bad.

Really need to get this truck back on the road, but need to know that I can continue to plow with no problems.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tony

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Welcome to the site.

It sounds like you may have split the driver side axle beam.

Crawl underneath,and take a look right around the front side of the outboard spring u-bolt.If you see any rust popping off,or cracks,then it's toast.If it's not cracked,it's probably stretched or bent.You can try to align it with a camber bushing at the upper ball joint,but it will just get worse.

The Ford TTB front ends do not like plows.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
agreed with wyldman,you dont
want to drive it at all .Get under it asap and look at itif its split dont drive it,you risk snapping the carrier,which is big $$$.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the posts to my question. I picked up the truck on Saturday and the mechanic gave it a clean bill of health. He said that the steering box was almost ready to fall off and the the pitman arm bolts needed to be tightened.

Also mentioned that it is IFS (I thought is was a Dana 50) and thats just the way they get when you add weight. Maybe I don't have enough ballast in the back (only about 300Lbs, 3 chimmey blocks, couple bags of fozen sand)

The driver side wheel does look much better when I mounted the plow. Still aliitle ****ed , but No way as extreme as before.

I did look under the truck and did not notice any broken or bent parts. It has front leaf springs not coil springs, the U clamps and bolts look OK, alittle rusty but could not see any cracks or breaks.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
48 Posts
if the springs are sagging,the wheel will sit in at the top.I used to have a TTB F250 and replaced the springs with heavier duty which solved the problem.make sure you find someone who knows how to align these trucks as not many people can do it correctly.I think I paid about $250 to align mine but it drove perfect and the tires were still wearing evenly after 25000 miles when I sold it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the advise. Someone also suggested trimbrens as a another solution.

Noticed a few other Fords with plows mounted that have the same problem. Guess it's not just my truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with johngus, you can havea good alignment done and that can be worked out. But you need to find someone that will do a cam alignment for the inner and outers. I f you look at the top Ball joint there is a ring or a wedge there , what they do is turn that to take the lean out of the tire. I had mine done on a 88 i had and it cost me 85 bucks.
good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts