Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I have two switches dangling around my emergency brake pedal. Both are for my plow lights.. one is a three way toggle for: off, on and high-beam.. the other is to turn on and off the truck's headlights. I will be connecting a single amber strobe light and a set of driving/fog lights for the rear next week. I will probably use another three way for the fog lights. What kind of switch panels or boxes are available for my needs?

There isn't really a lot of room in the Dodge for some of the boxes I've seen. Has anyone fabricated anything simple, small, & stylish? If so.. can you post a picture please. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I made this one from stuff at Radio Shack. You could easily make a smaller version, and for less than $20.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have this one work in progress. I made it out of 6061 alum. and "engine turned" it. I will post more pics when I am done.
It will mount on the lower left panel of the blanl spot on an 85 Chevy pickup.

T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com

·
Registered
243 Posts
I will be connecting a single amber strobe light and a set of driving/fog lights for the rear next week. I will probably use another three way for the fog lights

As for your rear floods I recomend the kit from kc They come with a nice relay.I have the relay under the hood.I then used the wire going to my trailer back up lights as a trigger I brought that up in to a RADIO SHACK lighted rocker (same one that the guy above me used)If the switch is in the on position and I put the truck in reverse it will trigger the relay to turn on the relay.If the switch is off it wont turn on the lights.

If any body needs help wiring up the relay or trying to figure out when or why you need a relay let me know.I love to wire up things

My wife call me a geek some times because I cant walk past a radio shack I always have to go into see what type of new switch's they have.

For pre made switch holders aw direct
Has a lot of neet pre made products to use.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
the Painless Wiring company has a lot of different wiring applications its used quite a bit in drag racing

·
Registered
243 Posts
BWhite said:
the Painless Wiring company has a lot of different wiring applications its used quite a bit in drag racing
Too bad the pricing wasnt so PAINFULL But I guess you get what you pay for.I have used painless before and love the product but not the pricing.I have found the cheapest place to get them is at summit of jeggs

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I looked at there site del and they did have some good prices from what I could see on similare stuff i had gotten.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
I bought 4 sets of jumper cables from them last year. They had the heaviest gauge wire, and the longest lengths, and much less $$ than any place else. Their print catalog is awesome.

~Chuck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies...

I'm not seeing what I need though. I will probably have to make something to mount the switches to. An "L" shaped, narrow (1.5-2 inch) faced bracket-thingy that I can mount the toggles to.

·
Registered
610 Posts
you could use the meyer toggle switch bracket
several plow discount parts stores sell them
they have 3 switch holes
john

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Painless Wiring

Yes there stuff is pricey and the quality is excellent

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
How about one of these bad boys?

[In case the image doesn't work, click here ]

For $84, I'd be able to live with dangling switches, or a differnt type of setup....

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
This is what i just made.It's not the prettyest but serves it purpose.

Attachments

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I found this on the site Chuck listed, it's a single switch unit but it sounds like two pieces can be connected together.

I used a piece of 1/16" thick aluminum and bent an L in it to mount 5 switches in. Old street signs are of the same material:wink

·
Registered
979 Posts
Another good place to get wiring supplies from is Waytek. They carry tons of wiring, switches, relay (Bosch), terminals, connectors, etc etc you name it. They sells good to high quality stuff (no cheapie stuff) but the price is really good and hard to beat.

www.waytekwire.com

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I don't have a cam right now, but I used a "project box" from radio shack. It's just large enough to accomodate the switches in the back. I drilled the cover for the number of switches I plan to install. I have one momentary button to flash my marker lamps, a two-position toggle for my beacon, and a three-position for my aux backup lights. I have two slots left for anything else I might add.

I mounted it on the dash with that heavy-duty velcro that *snaps* together- also available at RS.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
CPSS I can unplug all that stuff you see wired in my truck and take it all out. That is why I was not to concerned with the looks. And them bolts sticking out are temp, because I did not have any short ones in my supply at the time of install.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts