Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:feedback

Ok, before everyone tears me a new one... this is just to get some feedback and opinions.

I know that there are Cities and towns that require plowing contractors to get "Plowing Licenses" in order for a plowing contractor to plow within thier city limits.

How many of you think that this is a good idea?

How many of you think this is a bad idea?

Do you think that Plowing licenses should be high enough to thwart Lowballers? If so How much do you think the license should cost and should it be per vehicle or company?

Do you think that a high $$$ figure per vehicle would do anything to prevent lowballers and /or un insured plow operators from existing or stealing accounts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in an area now that you have to have a plow license on your truck for each truck that you own. Mandatory that you have insurance to get the license and put up $500.00 that you will do the job. I have been getting this license for the last 5 years and have yet to be stopped or checked while plowing to see if I have it. Unless it is going to be enforced it is just a way for the city to get more money. Many plowers in this area do have a license or insurance. Leave snow in the road right of way, plow across the street or dump snow on another's property. Only way that anything gets done is if the city gets a complaint from the property owner.

Enforcement is the big issue.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think it's a good idea. In order to get the license you must have the correct coverage on your truck along with GL. I moderate fee for the license. Last year there was a guy going around charging $10 to clear the bottom of driveways $20 for the entire drive- do you think he had insurance?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think the idea has some merit but unless there is enforcement it is a waste of time and money. Also, what would you set as limits for liability etc. I think that it would become a nighmare to deal with. Wouold you require yearly renewal? What about insurance reporting? Would the insurance companies report if there is a lapse or cancellation?

The idea of licensing to help "raise the bar" on service levels is a good one, but it is just so entangled with regulations. We have a lawn treatment business in the summer and believe me, with the NY DEC regulations and certification it is a pain in the behind. Yearly reporting, etc. But.....it does help narrow the field considerably when it comes to competition. Unles you have the little trriangles on the truck that show you are registered, you had better not be laying down chemicals.

There will always be lowballers no matter what you do. I don't think a licensing program would slow them down one bit. And man, imagine what would happen to insurance rates once it bacame mandatory! Right now, it is just stupid to work without it and yet the rates are horrible, but once it is required there is nothing to stop the rates from climbing through the roof. Just look at car insurance. And worst of all, it doesn't even matter if you have never had any claims! They screw you because they can, it's the law that you have to have it and they just set a price because you don't have a choice.

Ok, climbing off the insurance soap-box now....:headwall

Pete

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Bad Idea! With out enforcment it will not work.
Look at other profession's, just because they require a licinse does not make them a pro. (have worked with some)
Some guys are going to be lowballers no mater what!

Lowballers are a fact of life and there is not a whole lot you can do about it.

Just be a professional you know your over head cost and what you want as a profit.

If the client wants a lowballer then let them have them. You and that client would not be happy any way. If the client is shopping for price then he does not want quality.

IMO Tileman

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
It has been my experience that any special licensing exists only as a revenue generating program disguised as a consumer protection program. Remember the reports we were getting last season about unlicensed operators in communities that required licenses? Very few of the violaters were actually caught, seems they take one or two per season to make an example of and that's it.

Unless there is competancy testing required along with ethical business practices, then strictly enforced, I would not support it.

I can quote two failures that I've experienced on regulation in other fields.

CDL licensing:
Prior to the Federal Government setting the standards for Commercial Driver's Licenses (CDL), States each had their own programs. When the CDL was introduced, a standard nationwide test was developed and licensing fees doubled, at least in NY. Each endorsement carries an additional fee, where the original licenses were a flat fee. We were told that CDL jobs would be paying much higher as a result of the higher qualifications required, but this never panned out. Are today's drivers safer than those of 20 years ago? I don't believe so, from what I've seen on the roads. In fact, I'd say past drivers were much more courteous than many are today.

Contractor Licensing:
My business brought me into a County that requires contractor licensing, unbeknownst to me. A day into the job, an Inspector pulls up and wants to see my license, I explain I have no idea what he's talking about. He explains the program is in place to protect the consumer, that my license would tell the customer how to find me should I attempt to disappear. I point out the signs on my truck, complete with phone number and location, he shrugs his shoulders. I must apply for the license or face a $5000 fine and 30 days in jail. I ask what's involved, his answer is an application and a $250 check, nothing else. No competency test, no background check, nothing that would guarentee my work is to standards or would protect the consumer. So in the end, it's an agency that collects fees to support itself, nothing else.

I think that this is what any plow licensing program would amount to.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I agree with Pelican it would be just another way to get money from you.And what about a home owner that runs around with a plow to plow his house or his own property ,would a cop pull them over ?? The same license would not apply for them. Any time you get the state involved they mess it up and we pay for there parties .

·
Registered
192 Posts
How many of you think this is a bad idea?
BAD IDEA :headwall :headwall Just another bill for the honest Plowmen

You have to remember the lowballers out there don't care about doing the right thing Plowing licenses are only money makers :cash

It's just locking your doors to keep the thief out :confused: if the theif wants in, he'll get in one way or another right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts