Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since seeing is believing, and since more is better than less, between storms it was time to install the new Multi-Cam setup from Voyager and my friends at RVCams.com.

Steve knows his products, and their customer service is simply phenomenal. The box arrived the following day, despite a promise of UPS Ground shipping.

First step was unpacking the various components. 4 high-res color cams with LED supplemental lighting, wire harness, cables, and 7" multiplexing monitor.

Second step was the installation of the mounting hardware for the monitor. It is attached to the fold-down drink holder.

Third step was the connection of the electrical components and camera testing.

Fourth step (not shown) was the routing of the camera cable in wire loom along the frame rail.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fifth step was preparation of the camera mounts. Those for mounting on the BuzzBox were painted with white epoxy paint on big magnet mounts. This allows easy aiming and moving of the cameras.

Two are mounted on the back, one becomes the rear cam off season (the black one) which hides on a black plate under the tailgate.

During the season, one is mounted on the back of the BuzzBox, one inside, and one is mounted on the back aimed down to monitor the spread pattern.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once the cams were installed, it was time for aiming and adjusting. The beauty of the Voyager multi-cam system is the views. You can split the screen, add picture in picture, and determine which cams displays where.

The cam identifiers are also programmable to whatever names will fit. (that happened after the photos)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
so you have them hooked up to be on all the time instead of at back up only

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Tim at RVCAMS is a great guy and the customer service is first rate !. I bought equipment from him for my previous motorhome . Top notch .

·
Registered
384 Posts
Looks good Peter, Now mabe a bigger monitor? Hope you had a great Christmas.

Andy

ps, What happened to your phone the other day? or was it mine?

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Dang, too many toys at that site. :cash Maybe I need some more write-offs before the end of the year. :wink

Nice work Peter, as always. Very cool.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Hi Peter
Have you used it yet in a storm, just wondering how well they work at night and also if the lens get's so dirty that you can't see anymore.

Thanks Mike
Mike, the one on our salt truck needs cleaning about once a load. Other than that it works great.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mike, the one on our salt truck needs cleaning about once a load. Other than that it works great.
Thanks Mark
I just order one for the truck, hope to get a birds eye view of the salt pattern. Also will help out when I am backing up. I have been looking for 2 years now and after reading this thread I called Rvcams and order a single color unit.

Regards Mike

·
Banned
1,659 Posts
what keeps them from being covered in salt /road spray, ice, grime, snow, etc ? just seems like more work to look down at some screen than to just look behind you or use your heated mirrors.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Looks Good Peter you are a brave soul with that camera on the bulkhead :D magnet mount or not.

Dan the cameras we run like the service truck rarley need to be cleaned and heated mirrors or not with the service body in parking lots that right side is blind mirrors or not there was a 02 olds alero with 4900 damage to prove that with me behind the wheel the camera went in shortly after. Also would be hard for Peter to see inside the hopper with his mirrors Peters inside cameras on the Buzzbox showed us all testing the problems that were occuring the first year which lead to changes for the final unit.

For lighting at night theres enough from the snow and back up lights to see if it gets bad we turn on the lower work lights.

Camera's on the 4300 are a life saver when hooking up a semi allows me to see the main lift bar and hit the spring hangers on the first try..

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
what keeps them from being covered in salt /road spray, ice, grime, snow, etc ? just seems like more work to look down at some screen than to just look behind you or use your heated mirrors.
Nothing at all except a glove or piece of paper towel every once in awhile.

Not when you can't see behind you because of spreader or dump box. Like Fred said, I figure the cost of a camera pretty much covers the deductible when someone backs into a car that is directly behind them.

Peter
How is the vision in darkness
Mine is great, although I do have a couple of dual 55W backup\work lights on the back of my spreader as well as a spinner light.

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I cant see the salt at all with my rear one. I thought about putting it where peter has it on the rear jack pocket, but I'm hard mounting everything, and didn't want to interfere with the use of the jacks. My rear camera is up top of the hopper looking down. Even if it were lower, I still dont think it has a high enough resolution to differentiate the salt from the snow... Magic would be easier since it's brown against the white snow. When spreading, I'm still watching the pattern in the mirrors...

As far as the snow/grime on the lense, that's been my biggest gripe, I have to stop when I get to each site to clean it off after driving on the streets. Once it's clean though, it stays clean until you get back on the roads and drive at 30mph+ when the crap kicks up behind you. The rearward visibility with the buzz box straight up sucks, and the camera is the best thing I ever did. I love being able to back up to within a couple inches of something, which has never been possible even without the spreader, because you just cant judge distance that well from the cab.

I use the pioneer in-dash display for mine, and a rotary switch on the dash to switch cameras. Only downside is that I cant watch my DVD's and cameras at the same time like Peter can... :greenange My inside camera is mounted up inside the hopper, hanging from the top, looking at a downward angle towards the front. When running bulk material, I can see inside the hopper, with bags, I can see when the next set of bags is fully impaled and sliced so I know when to stop the bulkhead to avoid jambing. I also put another camera under the rear bumper for when the salt spreader is off the truck.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unassisted the lighting is fine, with the rear flood on (HID) it is much more than fine. I seldom have issues with having to clean the lenses. Typically when we stop for fuel, or get out for whatever reason.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts