Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounting a Western Unimount rig on my 2005 GMC 2500HD?

Good Morning!

After years away from plowing snow, I recently picked up a Western UniMount plow set-up. The plow was set-up on a '88-2000 Chevy/GMC, including mounts & wiring harness, as well as Western 3529 mount & Western 27170 conversion mount.

I'm hoping these will allow me to mount the plow on my 2005 GMC - am I correct?

Ant thoughts, comment appreciated ….

·
Registered
90 Posts
So you have the ultramount mount for your truck with the unimount adapter correct?

How many plugs does the plow have on it now?
Do you have any wiring on your new plow truck?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Answers

So you have the ultramount mount for your truck with the unimount adapter correct?
How many plugs does the plow have on it now? Do you have any wiring on your new plow truck?
1 - Yes

2 - Two

3 - No, but have the truck side power cables/solenoid & truck side original 12 wire control cable

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your either going to have to buy a whole 3 plug straight blade ultramount wiring truck side, and the corresponding plow side wiring.
or, if you are handy at wiring, you can install a few relays and a switch to operate the lights. Then you wouldn't have to buy all 3 plug wiring. Then you would just have the unimount wiring to install.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your either going to have to buy a whole 3 plug straight blade ultramount wiring truck side, and the corresponding plow side wiring.
or, if you are handy at wiring, you can install a few relays and a switch to operate the lights. Then you wouldn't have to buy all 3 plug wiring. Then you would just have the unimount wiring to install.

Thanks!

So basically the relays are for the lights only, correct?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question

Yes. All the plow functions are controlled by the controller.
Thanks - here's another question

I have the chance to pick up a new, complete harness from a 03 to 09 dodge 2500 3500 (including the 3 port isolation module (PN 29070-1) - would this be the same as the harness I need?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Harness

Thanks Knuck!

Followed your suggestion, the only difference appears to be the headlamp harness - if I get one of those I can use the rest.

Last question - could I use the new cab harness to operate the old lights/hydraulics, or do I have to change those as well?

·
Registered
224 Posts
If your new/used unimount is a two plug, you will need to replace the plow side harness to a three plug. You can use the battery cable, but the light and motor harness will have to be replaced. And the light harness may need to be lengthened to the right side lamp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Help

Thanks everyone for the help!

I have an update - I had the chance to pick up a complete 3 Pole Isolation Module system (29070-1) with full wiring harness. Looks like everything will be plug-n-plat with my truck, except for one obvious exception - the cab controller harness leg is a 4 wire, and my existing joystick controller is a 6 wire.

What are my options?

Thanks for the continued help!

·
Registered
90 Posts
If the in cab wiring is 4 pin then its fleet flex.
To get that to operate your unimout plow is almost impossible.
It will cost you to much in wiring to make it worth it. Might be cheaper to sell the plow and buy a newer fleet flex ultramount.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Lets see if we can do this a little simpler. Does your truck have daytime running lights, if yes, can you turn them off? If that is a yes. You have a unimount, just get the unimount controller harness. Wire in a toggle switch for the plow head lamps, your done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please clarify

Lets see if we can do this a little simpler. Does your truck have daytime running lights, if yes, can you turn them off? If that is a yes. You have a unimount, just get the unimount controller harness. Wire in a toggle switch for the plow head lamps, your done.
I'll check in the morning, thanks!

In the meantime, do you know the part # of the controller harness you referred to? Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts