Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SnoWay hydraulic plow motor runs without stopping. Not a bad solenoid.

The plow worked when I put in in storage last spring. This year, I have no power to the controller. I re-wired from the controller to the receiver box on the plow. I now have power to the controller, but no response.

I moved on to the motor and tested the solenoid. It tested okay, but I still replaced it, same problem. Ordered a 3rd SnoWay solenoid (not Amazon generic) and I still have the same problem. I tested the solenoids on my multimeter and battery. + and - to the 2 small posts and +/- multimeter leads on top posts. It clicks, I get continuity. I have 12.2 V at the solenoid posts.

New yellow top battery and fully charged.

To test the motor, I jumpered a solenoid top post to + bottom post and the motor runs without stopping. The plow responds to the controller and operates normally, other than it won't stop running. So I've eliminated the controller as the likely problem.

I have voltage at the end of the valves. I believe every connection was 1.6v out of the relays.

Where do I go from here? Bad pressure switch? Easiest to just replace the motor?

I live in remote CO without easy access to parts, so I don't have a lot of time to order one part, wait, try and repeat.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Please post a picture of your solenoid. If you unhook the controller does it stop running. If you remove battery positive to the solenoid, is the signal wire hot? Please
do not use a LED test light. Also using a voltmeter will not put any load on the circuit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i would naturally think it has to be the solenoid the only way that gets power is the second you hit the controller switch unless that button is sticking internally on the control but you clearly covered both. damn you got me stumped. thats a first for me. i would agree something in the motor maybe shot. i would still order the motor best case scenario it fixes it worse case it goes on the shelf and bails you out if a motor ever goes in a storm.

just a thought do you know someone that has a solenoid that he knows works currently ask to swap real quick. although its rare i had 2 bad solenoids delivered to me and did the same. luckily my buddy had one on his jeep i connected his real quick and it worked and mine didnt the 3rd solenoid was the one. i'll ask the old man down my street for you he did sno way plows half his life til he retired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts