Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have been out a couple of times plowing, I decided to check fluid level to make sure its OK. I bought a Western emerg kit that contained a qt of Western's oil. When I started to add oil, I noticed that it was blue.

The plow installed want looks like Dextron trans fluid.

Am I safe to mix Western's fluid with tranny fluid? Or go out and buy Dextron tranny fluid?

I was taught not to mix oils.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It's not recomended that you mix the two fluids, but it's also possible that your plow was filled with a low temp fluid that was dyed red and may not be atf.
But I know some are still filling them with atf too.
I would wait til Monday and call your installing dealer and ask what they fill the power unit with during installation.
If it is a low temp fluid then you should have no problems using a fluid that was dyed a differant color, also Western has had a few differant color fluids.
I use a blue low temp hydraulic fluid in the power units on the plows I sell and service.
:rolleyes: John.............

·
Registered
908 Posts
Go ahead and use the western oil if it comes down to needing oil and thats all you have. Your pump probably has atf in it since western only has a blue fluid (Meyer is blue and fischer is clear). Mixing the 2 really wont hurt that much, it basically changes the viscosity and temp range however i would recommend flushing the system (cylinders also) and refilling with western and using atf only if your in a real bind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts