Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 98 K 3500 had a problem late this past summer. It wouldn't start. We had it towed to the *nearest* service station where they fussed around with it a while and replaced one of the two batteries. It started and ran, and they declared it fixed.

It, of course, didn't stay fixed for long, and the problem was eventually traced (by a more competant service station), to a corroded wire in the connector to the forward gas tank--intermitently the fuel pump wouldn't work, so the truck wouldn't run. It's been fine since.

At the time the guy replace the *one* battery, I had some misgivings, but decided to trust their professional judgement.

During this weekend's plowing, the first of the season, the truck started to stink, a very distinct sulpher odor. Opening the hood it was obvious that the older of the two batteries was real hot. It hadn't melted or anything, but there were traces of vapor coming out the ends. It's a Delco, probably one of the original factory batteries. The replacement is an Interstate, I don't recall the specific model, but it's an 880 CCA, 1000 CA, if memory serves me correctly.

Now to the question--I'm sure the old battery needs to be replaced--it should have been replaced at the same time, and with a twin to, the other one. Is it just a matter of the old one working harder than it is now (at is advanced age), able to, or is there a bigger problem I need to worry about?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
If the other battery was just replaced this summer,it should still be fine,and just replacing the bad battery will do the trick.

If it was any older,then I would replace both.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts