Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I just put this plow on my 2000 Yukon and I am trying to get it working. I have tested the motor by energizing it with 12 volts and it works fine. The joystick has power. When I toggle up, right or left I get a click from the relay under the hood. With the Engine running, a person activating the toggle I get 14 volts at the vehicle side of the 2 wire plow motor plug. When I plug in the plow motor and somebody activates the toggle up, right, or left, the motor does nothing and I have no voltage at the motor. Please help.
Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
Check your connections at the battery - even though it may show 14 volts, it doesn't mean the connection is sufficient to power the motor

In that case, the voltage drops to 0 as the motor sucks up all the current that the wiring is trying to provide but unable to

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not that knowledgeable regarding the solenoids and their operation. The last plow I had was cable actuated electric. I think all the connections are good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible that my (+) from the battery and my (+) going to the plow motor are on the wrong terminals on the relay under the hood? Would that give me a no run on the motor? I will check all connections tomorrow.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just because the connections look clean, don't mean they are. If you thin k you wired it wrong, post a few pics of what you did.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That was what I was referring to..the solenoid "under the hood" thats what you need to check for positive in, and positive out when pressing those functions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I switched the wire coming from the battery to the opposite terminal on the relay along with the wire that goes to the plow motor. When doing that I accidentally arced those two wires for a second and the plow motor ran for a second. When finished swapping the wires it still didn't work. I put it back the way it was because that is the way I got it. I have my hot red keyed ignition wire tapped into my lights. After arcing those big wires I lost my headlights. I messed around with that for awhile because that caused me to lose power to my joystick. No blown fuse or blown relay. I have no idea. I put the light switch in the manual position and regained lights and joystick power. Then everything worked. Plow up, down, left, right. Spent over an hour making adjustments and topping off fluids. The lights only worked in manual. After airing up my tires and putting the tools away I moved the truck and now the lights work in all positions again. I don't know what fixed it. My guess is the arc of the relay and then it worked as normal. Doesn't really matter it appears to be working flawlessly. I am not a commercial plowing person I only have two big driveways of my own that I need to plow.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Jump a wire from the 12v + to the small stud with the red/brown wire. If nothing happens, your solenoid is probably bad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts