Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
novi police thats all you needed to say. they love there rule books down there , got pulled over with a wide load once he asked me for my permits pulled out my oakland co. permit handed to him he said no your novi permit i said i didnt no novi had permits he said that not my problem but it yours we had been going to the same sub delivering trusses for seveal years that week they hit every one of our trucks just north of 96 off beck by the train tracks if i remember right. any how he said i new you didnt have one hes the guy who issues them thanks officer and the company paid out $1500.00 that week in tickets by the way oakland co. loves us to lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I guess all that the cops in novi need to do is park out front of the MGIA show and make some money !!!! My truck is registered in my name ( 07 reg cab single wheel f-350) so do I need the dot #'s ? It is my presonal vehicle but I do plow when it snows and cut grass a couple days a week. I run magnetic signs ,keep my stuff clean and tied down but I guess that's probably not enough. Oh well I guess that's just part of trying to make some :cash Thanks for the info !!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
another number?

All these trucks have a license plate on them. The plate is tied to a data base that is accessable by any police department or government official. But you need ANOTHER NUMBER to fight terrorism?

What about arming the truck drivers? Now that is fighting terrorism!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ok Guys
A question about DOT numbers here in Michigan. My 2500 HD is no where near 10.001 pounds. My local Waterford PD weighmaster told me that unless Im over 10K I do not need a DOT number. On the other site they keep saying if you are over 5K you need a DOT number. I have a call in to the weighmaster here but no answer yet. 5K needing a DOT number makes no sense to me. So if you reply please quote the law, chapter and verse so I can look into a little more. Oh Im starting to really hate the other site, slower than h$ll and everybody knows everything all of the sudden. I belive I will be spending alot less time over there.

Regards Mike

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Ok Guys
A question about DOT numbers here in Michigan. My 2500 HD is no where near 10.001 pounds. My local Waterford PD weighmaster told me that unless Im over 10K I do not need a DOT number. On the other site they keep saying if you are over 5K you need a DOT number. I have a call in to the weighmaster here but no answer yet. 5K needing a DOT number makes no sense to me. So if you reply please quote the law, chapter and verse so I can look into a little more. Oh Im starting to really hate the other site, slower than h$ll and everybody knows everything all of the sudden. I belive I will be spending alot less time over there.

Regards Mike
You do not need it unless you are registereed over 10K and use it for commercial business OR you pull a trailer with a GVW rating of 10K or over.

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
Ok Guys

Regards Mike
City, state, logo are for vehicles between 5,000 and 10,000.

Any vehicle with a GVW of 10,001 or combination of vehicles greater than 10,001 require a US DOT #. So if your 350\3500 has a GVW of 9900#'s and your trailer has a GVW of 2,000#'s you need a US DOT.
Mike, the above is what Ron Edwards, Michigan Center for Truck Safety told us last year at a meeting. The center is funded by the Elected GVW plates that trucks need to have. They do consulting for free because of their funding source. This is the law in Michigan.

Technically, I'm supposed to have one on my '05 350, but since it's mostly personal use, I don't even have it lettered. :wink

Their phone # is 800-682-4682

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Warning

I know i should have posted to this when it first started since this affects my buss a bunch.....

BEWARE i had a guy that i broker loads to that was getting set up he came to me to get his inspection this past week and told me he payed 600 dollars for his Usdot number:eek:.

Guys beware the numbers are free there are many sites when you google like this guy did that are charging for something you can do yourself. He went with a company that told him he would have his number in 48hrs for 600 bucks.

You can fill out the paperwork and do it yourself like the author of this thread said and have just the cost of the numbers to put on the trucks.

The True reason for the USdot number is to track your company nation wide for safty viol and driving history. Has nothing to do with if its hazmat or not.

There is two diff types Interstate like myself were my trucks travel in all states and theres Intrastate trucks that dont leave your home state.

Each driver needs a med cert
be it under CDL 25,999 or CDL truck 26k and over, all trucks regardless of wieght that are commerial falling under Dot numbers need safty gear on truck and log book for each truck and driver along with a Fed inspec sticker done yearly. Keep in mind also owners everything that is in the truck for paperwork needs to be in a file at your buss for each truck. If you get a audit you will have to show them all of this.

Lastly and this applys to me more than anything is getting caught with a Mi Wrecker plate carrying open frieght will cost you your plate Trust me..... Now if you think there playing around ill show you my recipt and fine, Randy was scaled with load plate wieght was determined on load plus truck they siezed my Wrecker plate issued a temp to get back and then along came the 1600 dollar a year wieght plate :wink

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Guys
A quick question about this DOT mess. Can a owner do his own yearly saftey inspection? If yes where can I get the annual saftey sticker to show we did the inspection. If not about how much is a saftey inspection?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Hi Guys
A quick question about this DOT mess. Can a owner do his own yearly saftey inspection? If yes where can I get the annual saftey sticker to show we did the inspection. If not about how much is a saftey inspection?

Thanks Mike
Mike

You need to be licensed Mechanic in the state of Mi to perform the annual inspections. Further more you have to be certifed in all areas if your doing Example Otr or air brake system trucks you must have air brake certs.

You can perform your daily saftys you just cant do your Fed annual. We get 125 bucks for a truck with juice brakes and 200 for a air brake truck.If pulled over with air brakes the Mi Motorvech carrier inspector is licensed and in the know on slack ajusters, brake lining wear, brake chamber operation, so most dont know that they them selfs are qualifyed to deadline a truck on the spot, hence the reason we make so many trips to Bridgeport Mi were the wiegh station and most active enforcement takes place.

I purchase my stickers from a company that works with the State here on all Motorvech and shop owner forums when i order them i have to sumitt a photo copy of my license to them before they ship.

I belive and i might be wrong most Truck spring centers in Mi perform this inspection, they do in saginaw anyway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mike

You need to be licensed Mechanic in the state of Mi to perform the annual inspections. Further more you have to be certifed in all areas if your doing Example Otr or air brake system trucks you must have air brake certs.

You can perform your daily saftys you just cant do your Fed annual. We get 125 bucks for a truck with juice brakes and 200 for a air brake truck.If pulled over with air brakes the Mi Motorvech carrier inspector is licensed and in the know on slack ajusters, brake lining wear, brake chamber operation, so most dont know that they them selfs are qualifyed to deadline a truck on the spot, hence the reason we make so many trips to Bridgeport Mi were the wiegh station and most active enforcement takes place.

I purchase my stickers from a company that works with the State here on all Motorvech and shop owner forums when i order them i have to sumitt a photo copy of my license to them before they ship.

I belive and i might be wrong most Truck spring centers in Mi perform this inspection, they do in saginaw anyway.
Hi Fred
Thanks for the info, I have complied with everything for the DOT but the annual inspection. I need to get that done.

Thanks Mike

21 - 30 of 30 Posts