Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in August I applied for a USDOT #, at www.safersys.org, then in November my wife called the federal goverment number and they told her everything set, did not think anymore about it, on Thursday I got pulled over for not having a USDOT #, well come to find out I have had one since August 15, 2007, the fed's did not send it to me. It is now the law in Michigan, any vechile weighing over 5000 lbs commercially registared, must have a number visable from 50'. You will get pulled over and be put out of service. Your truck will be towed. I had my C - 70 with a 10 ton trailer behind it. The number is free the stickers cost $ 20.00 per truck, 1 on each side. If you have questions ask my neighbor is a motor carrier. Danhoe

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have a question what is the purpose of it? you have a commercial truck ref with commercial plates have insurance on it you pay for the gvw of the truck at reg. why do they need this "free" number on both sides of your truck? nothing is free in life espcially from the GOV. what will they do with this number that they can not do with the plates on the front and back?

Also if it's a free thing they should be given out at time of reg. or ins. corrects why do they think that every one know the crap they think they know .

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
As I understand it, any vehicle or combination of vehicles over 10K is required to have the USDOT. A vehicle or combination between 5 and 10K must have city and state, supposedly the USDOT # is not sufficient.

This is not a new law, has been on the books for a long time. They are just starting to enforce it now.

Rick, don't get me started, but it has something to do with tracking any commercial vehicle that may carry any amount of hazardous materials to prevent future terrorist incidents. At least that's my understanding. Apparently it is easier to track law-abiding citizens and cows than illegal aliens.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
yeah about the size of it. all a terorist would have to do is rent a ryder or uhaul and load it up like oklaholma . And the funny thing is they know it but use it as an excuse to bust the honest hard working guys "cahonies"
any time you talk about gov or state nobody knows nothing like the trailer and truck gvw thing they give you 20 page of BS and none of it is understandable .

Damn i'm getting myself going . lol.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Rick
Lets just hope and pray that " The Cadillac " doesn't surf here. :cash
Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will find out next time I see my neighbor, he is a motor carrier for Michigan. The cop I talked to in Lansing said they were not going to enforce it until June because of the confusion. We got on the subject of all the laws, I think the guy said his book was 6" thick and there is no way he could know all the laws and that is why when you get pulled over by different cops you get different tickets. The motor carrier in Whitmore Lake has had threats on his life because of his tactics. This guy towed a brand new on the way home from the dealer Peterbuilt tractor & lowboy trailer, I don't know what happened after that. The cop out in Pinckney was such a a** he got let go from the township, no one that drove to a gravel pit in town could get by this guy. I watched a Cat 245B moved in one piece being moved down a class b road and the Novi weighmaster watched him drive by - the kicker the frost laws were on, to move that machine legally, the tracks, counterweight, boom & stick would have to be removed and would be on a set up with a 5 axle trailer & 4 axle truck. I would go on but I do not need more problems. With our fine State of Michigan in the shape it is in, it is really tough to do anything and with all the fines to be paid there goes any money to do anything with. In my eye's this why all the south bound expressways are really busy. I can't tell you how many construction companys and the workers are leaving & I am getting ready to be one of them. Sorry about the rambling, Dan

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
You did not order your number from the FHWSA so they were not obligated to send it to you. You ordered it from another registering agency so it was there issue to send it to you. It was sent to them via email at the time they registered your company.

Also... If you do a search on USDOT numbers you will find other threads about this issue and the actual reasons.

BTW... Now that you have the number you will find many other compliance issues you need to have as far as documentation and safety

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did apply at the FHWSA site and I don't leave the state of Michigan with my trucks they did not send it to me, that is a quote from them, if you go to www.safersys.org it is the FHWSA site. SORRY ABOUT NOT POSTING THIS CORRECTLY I WAS TRYING TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE WITH THIS, I WILL DELETE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I talked to another state motor carrier today,weight rating 10,001 lbs & over or gross combination weight rating over 10,001, (the motor carrier told me to take my pinte hook off my K3500 & F350) annual federal saftey inspection, every time that cmv leaves the yard a daily vehicle inspection report to be filled out & the last 7 inspections must be kept in the cmv, that is a fine by itself, a maintance plan must be on file along with all maintance records on file, if you drive over 100 miles you must keep a log book. The reason I got pulled over is because my USDOT number was not displayed, you have to have one by 1/1/2008 and on 1/1/2009 it has to be readable from 50'. I will try to scan in the Intrastate Identification Requirements for Michigan Trucks tomorrow & post it her for every one to see. So what I understand if you have a 1 ton truck with out a trailer hitch of any kind on it you are ok. If you have a 3/4 ton pulling a 8 ton trailer you need one. One of the motor carriers give me his mobile number to call if I have any questions, I have not talked to my neighbor yet, which is a motor carrier for the State of Michigan. I was also told that no one know's all the rule's because the book is over 6" thick. I will try to clarify this more.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
6" think so that means alot of confution I think because you know one guy will know one part another one another and the poor guy who they look for must know all 6" of it. Unless you have a fleet of truck and they are tractor trailers this should not be enfored or they should revise it to be for the juts the big guys like fed ex and ups.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Don't you carry a sharpie? in a pinch draw the # on the side of the truck with it. comes off easy with WD40.
The DOT # are a federal requirement but state enforced. Which means every state is a little different. Some states require it some don't and some states have there own. My state had there own up till 1/1/2008 Now require USDOT#'s

My state requires commerical trucks with GVW over the 10,000 lb to display the numbers readable from 50' in a contrasting color to the background. yearly truck inspection, log book over 100 miles from base, health card, etc.
All truck owned by one person display the same # This is so big brother can check on a CO's safety record overall not just on just that one truck.
The #'s are free and when applying on line are issued before you sign out from the http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/forms/print/r-l-forms.htm
site.
Most of us only need the 150 or 150A form. Takes about 10 minutes to fill out. Any sign shop, Kinko, or some one with a vinyl cuter can cut the # out for you. or you can paint them on your self for free.

Good luck

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I bought my 'pete and filed for DOT #'s. I got assigned them right away. BUT....it was my responsibility to get them on the truck. They never supply numbers. If they did that, I can gaurantee it wouldn't be free....;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
do you need a DOT number if your truck is not used for business and is registered in your own name?

·
2,184 Posts
If it is not used for commercial work (DOT Defines commercial work as any work for pay) then you do not need it but if it is used for commercial work you do. Search the threads under DOT Numbers and you will see alot about it

·
2,184 Posts
Hey CGSI how is that red ford dump working out for you?
The 9000 is working great. It has never missed a beat. I hope it stays that way :wink. We have run it for the last year since I bought it from you and all I can say is Thanks.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I got my DOT numbers made at a local sign shop. They charged me $5 per side and I applied them. No one sends them to you after you apply online.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dot number

I was not expecting them to send the stickers, I was waiting for the actual number so I could get the stickers. My ticket did get thrown out along with 2 other guys that were in court that day, when I talked to the police department that has been giving out the tickects he told me that they could enforce it. So Novi Michigan cops will pull you over for this. By the way on Thursday I saw the same cop had a truck pulled over with no DOT number on it, glad I was in the wife's car. Dan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts