Snowplow Forums banner

Michigan Rules for Commercial Vehicles

10K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Blade 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, maybe you fellow Michiganders have heard about the new requirements for USDOT numbers for commercial vehicles over 10,000#s.
Over the last 2 days I've been trying to find out the other requirements for my business.
A little info, I tow a 7k GVWR enclosed trailer with lawn equipment with a Dodge Ram 3500 @ 10,100 GVWR. I am a 1 man operation.
What I know:
1. I need a Chauffeurs License
2. I need a Medical card
3. Truck needs signage with Company name and city
4. As of Jan. 1 2008 I need a USDOT #
5. As of 2009 the USDOT # needs to be displayed on the vehicle

OK
I've had officers of the MSP and local municipalities tell me different things, and in researching the Michigan Vehicle Code, the Michigan Motor Carrier Act and the Federal Motor Carrier regs, I've found much information contradictory.

Officers have told me:
Signage on the vehicle must be permanent (painted or Vinyl)
Signage CAN be Magnetic signs (MSP officer)
I need to carry a Fire extiguisher, And triangles
I need Annual inspections on my vehicle
I need daily inspection reports
I'm subject to drug testing
I need to keep logs

Some of these rules appear to apply to Interstate trucking (as far as the Feds are concerned)
According to the Feds, I am NOT a motor carrier and do not travel Interstate
According to the Michigan Public Service Commision, which regulates the Michigan Motor Carrier Act, I'm "private carriage" (everything I haul, I own. I do NOT transport goods for hire) therefore I'm do not need to be licensed by the MPSC.

I know this is alot of legalese, but its gonna hit alot of us hard with overzealous police out trying to make money for their towns.

I received a citation in Allen Park for 3 civil infractions totalling $810!
I plan on fighting it tooth and nail.

I'd like to get a discussion going on compliance issues, please chime in if you have any useful info

Thanks ahead of time

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you ran into the overzealous police already.

How does the State go about informing people of these new requirements.

If you weren't legally or reasonably informed of the change, how can you be held responsible for not being in compliance?

No offense but there has to be a little more to the transaction that got you over 800 dollars in traffic fines than a brand new law that no one is totally sure about.

I would think.

And for the time being I am glad to have a 6600 lb gvwr 1/2 ton and a 2500 lb load.

#3 ·
Hey Blade,
Lucky you indeed, Funny thing is even guys running with 250/2500s at 8800#s
and pulling a 1201# trailer (thats a small trailer) fall in this category.

I've spent hours online and called the State Police, spoke with a Motor Carrier investigator, tried to contact the Michigan Trucking Safety Commission and many others, there is no one stop shop for compliance issues for my situation.

What happened at the traffic stop was this, I was pulled over for no signage on my truck. This is a brand new vehicle and I've not had time to get the signs made. He asked for my CDL and medical card(dont need a CDL, only chauffuers)

I know the signage is a violation, so I accept that. (I see 20 little guys like me running with no signs every day) The officer then proceded to go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb, wrote me up for the Fire extinguisher and triangles. Also said I needed an annual inspection, USDOT and so on.

Btw I was very business-like and thanked the officer for the info he gave me.

#4 ·
Had our trucks lettered with the dot numbers this summer. State police actually called us to let us know we needed them. Personally, Id call your local state police station, as they are the motor carriers, and have them come out and look things over. Believe it or not, they will work with you and help you to avoid problems. Hope that helps, Chad.

#5 ·
Most of these laws have been in place for some time the med cert and inspection for has long has i can remember for 10k or over. Signage and Dot numbers are going into affect.

Like Chad said most state police would be more than happy to work with you to get into compliance, either go to the post or request a visit.

The simply not for hire decals arnt gonna fly anymore. i to somehow kinda belive the officer was made iratated to go to that extent.

Being a licensed inspector iam glad to see the changes coming into place some of the stuff i have inspected isnt worthy of being on the road.

A tip in the future show respect in the future when pulled over it goes along ways with the final outcome.

Ps most upfitters should be offering a safty kit unless the buyer is turning it down warning tri's and fire ext at the min trucks should have a first aid kit has well.

#11 ·
A possible source of information as to the regulations would be the insurance agent that you have your vehicle insurance with. They can certainly research it for you (for free). A better "final say" would be to hire an attorney to provide you with a written opinion, but that will cost you, of course.

Unfortunately, when laws are passed, the presumption is that everyone is responsible to find out about it on their own ("ignorance of the law is no excuse").

New York passed some similar laws; I think that someone on this board posted something about it.

#14 ·
Thats the best thing to do, even though 2 officers cant agree on some of the tougher rules they should be able to give you the straight answers or find them for you. Want to score more points with the area DOT, ask to set up a meeting to have your equipment and neccesary paper work reviewed by an officer. Dont rely on your local cop to get you the answers, many times they cant make sense of the rules and interpurt them to their liking and hope that your not smart enough to find the answer or have the will to fight them.

#20 ·
Weird.

Who cares if we interject a little humor or football into a thread.

Geez.

Lighten up.

You should be happy theres traffic here in my opinion. Thats what its about right>?

That, commeroderie and communication. Right?

Its the internet. A website to talk about things and snow plowing.

We are getting "Warned" because we are talking some football?

lol

I would think with as little traffic as this site gets especially at this time of season you would be pleased with some people hanging out and talking as opposed to threatening us because we talked Michigan football in a thread about something different.

With all due respect....:rolleyes:

Oh and I sent you a nice polite PM the other day Pickering because I figured your freak out at my Clouseau post. Of course you chose not to reply whatsoever.

Im not here to cause trouble. That would be stupid, but you moderators sometimes have a real bad habit of leaving a bad taste in good honest members mouths.

Ease the hell up ffs.

#21 ·
First let me explain something if it were you that had asked a question with severe outcome on a correct answer , you would feel bad if someone made your thread a mockery of sorts.

Blackforest asked a very good question and viewing several threads pertaining to not just Mdot but all state regs on commerical trucks being legal is a important matter. Considering what i have read i could safly bet that 35-45 percent of our members are running illegal either do to running under the radar or lack of understanding.

You added nothing to help Blackforest or the topic period , this isnt the other site i see with less than 30 post perhaps you found your way here from there.

There is Off topic for humor and sports or what not nothing funny about the poor guy getting hit with a 800 dollar fine.

WE moderators are probley more excepting than any you will meet so adding lighten up and with all do respect with rolleyes goes over like a lead ball with me.

I read your Pm and it didnt warrent a response. Iam not gonna discuss this again if you want to push me go ahead ill let you watch from the outside in.

#22 ·
Blade, there is a reason we try to keep threads on topic, it helps when a member is searching for a thread with the search function. We also have a set of rules which we run the site from, and this latest post of yours violates several of them. I would suggest you take a few moments to read them, there's a link at the bottom of every page.

Disrespecting a Moderator on the Board such as you have done is grounds for immediate suspension. I'll assume with your 23 posts that you may have come from another Board where this type of banter is permitted, we don't allow it here. You've used your one Mulligan here, don't press your luck.

This thread is about Michigan DOT rules, any NFL talk from this point on should be done in the "Off Topic" section of the Board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.