Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, maybe you fellow Michiganders have heard about the new requirements for USDOT numbers for commercial vehicles over 10,000#s.
Over the last 2 days I've been trying to find out the other requirements for my business.
A little info, I tow a 7k GVWR enclosed trailer with lawn equipment with a Dodge Ram 3500 @ 10,100 GVWR. I am a 1 man operation.
What I know:
1. I need a Chauffeurs License
2. I need a Medical card
3. Truck needs signage with Company name and city
4. As of Jan. 1 2008 I need a USDOT #
5. As of 2009 the USDOT # needs to be displayed on the vehicle

OK
I've had officers of the MSP and local municipalities tell me different things, and in researching the Michigan Vehicle Code, the Michigan Motor Carrier Act and the Federal Motor Carrier regs, I've found much information contradictory.

Officers have told me:
Signage on the vehicle must be permanent (painted or Vinyl)
Signage CAN be Magnetic signs (MSP officer)
I need to carry a Fire extiguisher, And triangles
I need Annual inspections on my vehicle
I need daily inspection reports
I'm subject to drug testing
I need to keep logs

Some of these rules appear to apply to Interstate trucking (as far as the Feds are concerned)
According to the Feds, I am NOT a motor carrier and do not travel Interstate
According to the Michigan Public Service Commision, which regulates the Michigan Motor Carrier Act, I'm "private carriage" (everything I haul, I own. I do NOT transport goods for hire) therefore I'm do not need to be licensed by the MPSC.

I know this is alot of legalese, but its gonna hit alot of us hard with overzealous police out trying to make money for their towns.

I received a citation in Allen Park for 3 civil infractions totalling $810!
I plan on fighting it tooth and nail.

I'd like to get a discussion going on compliance issues, please chime in if you have any useful info

Thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you ran into the overzealous police already.

How does the State go about informing people of these new requirements.

If you weren't legally or reasonably informed of the change, how can you be held responsible for not being in compliance?

No offense but there has to be a little more to the transaction that got you over 800 dollars in traffic fines than a brand new law that no one is totally sure about.

I would think.

And for the time being I am glad to have a 6600 lb gvwr 1/2 ton and a 2500 lb load.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Blade,
Lucky you indeed, Funny thing is even guys running with 250/2500s at 8800#s
and pulling a 1201# trailer (thats a small trailer) fall in this category.

I've spent hours online and called the State Police, spoke with a Motor Carrier investigator, tried to contact the Michigan Trucking Safety Commission and many others, there is no one stop shop for compliance issues for my situation.

What happened at the traffic stop was this, I was pulled over for no signage on my truck. This is a brand new vehicle and I've not had time to get the signs made. He asked for my CDL and medical card(dont need a CDL, only chauffuers)

I know the signage is a violation, so I accept that. (I see 20 little guys like me running with no signs every day) The officer then proceded to go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb, wrote me up for the Fire extinguisher and triangles. Also said I needed an annual inspection, USDOT and so on.

Btw I was very business-like and thanked the officer for the info he gave me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had our trucks lettered with the dot numbers this summer. State police actually called us to let us know we needed them. Personally, Id call your local state police station, as they are the motor carriers, and have them come out and look things over. Believe it or not, they will work with you and help you to avoid problems. Hope that helps, Chad.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Most of these laws have been in place for some time the med cert and inspection for has long has i can remember for 10k or over. Signage and Dot numbers are going into affect.

Like Chad said most state police would be more than happy to work with you to get into compliance, either go to the post or request a visit.

The simply not for hire decals arnt gonna fly anymore. i to somehow kinda belive the officer was made iratated to go to that extent.

Being a licensed inspector iam glad to see the changes coming into place some of the stuff i have inspected isnt worthy of being on the road.

A tip in the future show respect in the future when pulled over it goes along ways with the final outcome.

Ps most upfitters should be offering a safty kit unless the buyer is turning it down warning tri's and fire ext at the min trucks should have a first aid kit has well.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Your off to a good start Jr. Is the state Flag really a roll of Toliet paper?
Might as well be the way we're going right into the crapper. I can already see a tax increase coming so our brilliant leaders can 'balance' the budget for next year. :headwall :headwall

As for the U of M deal, the way a lot of the Michigan fans I know act, good for them. These people bleed maize and blue, so when they get humbled, I just laugh.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Might as well be the way we're going right into the crapper. I can already see a tax increase coming so our brilliant leaders can 'balance' the budget for next year. :headwall :headwall

As for the U of M deal, the way a lot of the Michigan fans I know act, good for them. These people bleed maize and blue, so when they get humbled, I just laugh.

To me ill bleed maize and blue for the rest of my life if it wernt for the UofM i wouldnt be here, i dont give a rats ass about football anyway.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A possible source of information as to the regulations would be the insurance agent that you have your vehicle insurance with. They can certainly research it for you (for free). A better "final say" would be to hire an attorney to provide you with a written opinion, but that will cost you, of course.

Unfortunately, when laws are passed, the presumption is that everyone is responsible to find out about it on their own ("ignorance of the law is no excuse").

New York passed some similar laws; I think that someone on this board posted something about it.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
This kinda turned into a thread with a a twist but straight up contact the Mich state Police and motorcarrier divison, the light blue cars .

They have the laws written with no exceptions.

·
Registered
908 Posts
This kinda turned into a thread with a a twist but straight up contact the Mich state Police and motorcarrier divison, the light blue cars .

They have the laws written with no exceptions.
Thats the best thing to do, even though 2 officers cant agree on some of the tougher rules they should be able to give you the straight answers or find them for you. Want to score more points with the area DOT, ask to set up a meeting to have your equipment and neccesary paper work reviewed by an officer. Dont rely on your local cop to get you the answers, many times they cant make sense of the rules and interpurt them to their liking and hope that your not smart enough to find the answer or have the will to fight them.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
So you guys are still upset that you paid us $400,000 to make headlines for the greatest upset in college football
NO what i was trying to say is i care so little about football and your state if the need arose your state flag would surfice for toliet paper.

The thread is about Mich Dot issues and thats were this thread genre is gonna stay if you dont belive me test me.

Jeff

Your right and many people that reley on local cops are asking for trouble you know as well has me once on the interstate its a whole new game. It was 6 yrs ago when i started working for a state cop in the shop and he was being nice but noticed somethings on my dumptruck a F350 at which point he provided me with a paper with all regs for 10k trucks, i was surprised at the time but got my own ducks in order shortly after.

Again this was proven in Dec of 04 when we left out of here on a friday night after plowing for three days and working in the shop trying to get to Jerres with the service truck i rolled on 23 south of Tecumseh my med cert and CCW permitt were not on me the only thing legal i had was a current inspection sticker when all was said and done failure to control vech, release of hazmat material, and lack of permitts it cost me 5200 dollars and a bruised ego and body, since the trucks all carry all ness documents NO matter what.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So you guys are still upset that you paid us $400,000 to make headlines for the greatest upset in college football

I just heard from my brother that Appalachian State plays my nieces college...Elon University in three weeks on Family day....lol

He's going to the game. Kinda cool.

I was all around the Big House today working and everyone there is anxious to beat Oregon.....heh. If they can.

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
:weirdthre Split 'em up maybe? :beatsme

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
:weirdthre Split 'em up maybe? :beatsme
Iam not gonna split this thread i have already warned its about Mich Dot laws and questions Blackforest had, if people want to talk sports then do it in Off topics or Lets talk sports . Last warning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Weird.

Who cares if we interject a little humor or football into a thread.

Geez.

Lighten up.

You should be happy theres traffic here in my opinion. Thats what its about right>?

That, commeroderie and communication. Right?

Its the internet. A website to talk about things and snow plowing.

We are getting "Warned" because we are talking some football?

lol

I would think with as little traffic as this site gets especially at this time of season you would be pleased with some people hanging out and talking as opposed to threatening us because we talked Michigan football in a thread about something different.

With all due respect....:rolleyes:

Oh and I sent you a nice polite PM the other day Pickering because I figured your freak out at my Clouseau post. Of course you chose not to reply whatsoever.

Im not here to cause trouble. That would be stupid, but you moderators sometimes have a real bad habit of leaving a bad taste in good honest members mouths.

Ease the hell up ffs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts