Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I have heard some talk about this but haven't been able to get a straight answer. I am running a 2005 2500HD, do I need to get a yearly inspection done. If so who does this inspection. Also do I have to display a yearly inspection sticker? Mark O or anybody else have any info on this?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
759 Posts
I am not a michigan guy. But I have operated in many states. And I believe that a 3/4 ton pickup does not meet any requirements for an annual inspection. At least, in most states it does not. In nebraska even one tons for the most part are not inspected, but it depends on your licensed weight here.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Mike, AFAIK, you do not need one for your truck. You may need one for the trailer if it is rated over 10K however.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, I am not one of the dumbass politicians that wrote these laws so one requires a doctorate in speaking bull **** or double speak in order to have half a clue what these stupid laws actually require. I am not a Motor Carrier Enforcement officer that will change his\her interpretation of said double speak\BS so that he\she can write you depending on his\her lack of sleep; having a bad day in general; wife\husband left him\her for another woman\man, his\her dog left him\her for another dog; or just because he\she is an a-hole in general and forgets who is paying his\her salary.

There, I think that covered it.

PS I have yet to get all my trucks and trailers over 10K inspected as well as get all my drivers a physical. Since I think I understand that this is or always has been a requirement, I will be working on becoming somewhat compliant with this over the next year. Had I known this earlier, I would have started earlier, but who really can follow all the rules, laws, requlations, etc. I didn't want to make a profit this year anyways. :fuming

·
Registered
908 Posts
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, I am not one of the dumbass politicians that wrote these laws so one requires a doctorate in speaking bull **** or double speak in order to have half a clue what these stupid laws actually require. I am not a Motor Carrier Enforcement officer that will change his\her interpretation of said double speak\BS so that he\she can write you depending on his\her lack of sleep; having a bad day in general; wife\husband left him\her for another woman\man, his\her dog left him\her for another dog; or just because he\she is an a-hole in general and forgets who is paying his\her salary.

Never seen it written better :eek: , you must be spending more time with the guys who drive the blue cars than i am!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, AFAIK, you do not need one for your truck. You may need one for the trailer if it is rated over 10K however.

PS I have yet to get all my trucks and trailers over 10K inspected as well as get all my drivers a physical. Since I think I understand that this is or always has been a requirement, I will be working on becoming somewhat compliant with this over the next year. Had I known this earlier, I would have started earlier, but who really can follow all the rules, laws, requlations, etc. I didn't want to make a profit this year anyways. :fuming
Hi Mark
I laughed my A** off when I read this. Thanks for the quick reply.

Regards Mike

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Wow Mark, how do you really feel?

You dont need an inspection if you're just a recreational driver... In other words, you can wing it like me cuz I may be over 10k but I'm just plowing for family and friends, not profit... :wink

Seriously, if MI required an inspection on 3/4 tons, they'd be the first state that did. Although, from what I hear, that wouldn't be surprising...

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
OK guys,, just an ignorant hick here but just what is this inspection you're talking about?

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Nost sure of the official term, but it is for commercial vehicles over 10K GVW. Basically, they check lights, brakes, suspension, steering, tires, fluid leaks, exhaust, hitches, etc. This is supposed to occur annually to ensure commercial vehicles are road worthy. It is not an emmissions test, at least not around me. They put a sticker on the vehicle and give you a check sheet that you keep on file.

I have been having it done on my F800 and F750 since new and had it on my big trailer this year. I have one more trailer that I really need to have it done on and will when I have a couple minutes to spare.

Fred can probably chime in more, especially about how a repair shop becomes 'OKed' to do this, because the shop I use has been told that they need to go take a test (even though they are licensed) but no one can tell them where to go to take this test. So they just get the forms from JJ Keller like everyone else and fill them out according to the requirements.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think that the state and local lawn enforcment should give the professionals a break for a little while and start going after these homeowners that are getting mulch for their houses. There are all these people that have homemade trailers that dont even have plates or lights on them and then go and get 5 yards on mulch on a piece of plywood with sides and an axle and don't have a trap on their load. If I didnt have my trailer tarped one time I know that there is no way that I would have a ticket for an unsecuried load just because I do this for a living.

Needed to vent alittle about the things I've seen over the last month.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Troy, how about all those idiots with the half tons loaded higher than the cab with junk from cleaning up people's crap? The ones with the rear bumpers dragging on the ground and 1/4" plywood for sides.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mark,
Dont even get me started on those people. A couple townships around here have had there "clean up" days for the past couple Saturdays so I've had my fair share of those windowlicking, monthbreathers flying past me and lossing all kinds of stuff on the road. And people towing junk cars to the scrap yard with only bungee cords holding the car on the trailer.

Maybe if they started inforcing this stuff, they could help with offsetting budget.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Inspections.

No 3/4 tons are required to have a Fed inspection sticker has there Gvw was not designed over 10k .

We are a certifed inspection station here for all Class trucks . Any vech with Axle tag sticker "Door Jamb" exceeding 10k requires a Fed inspection sticker which overrides anything from MI , requires a operators med certifcate and drug testing info and correct Cdl info.

Myself and Jack both have taken the test so either of us can perform the inspections , and with my health he has been running the service truck has well has the wreckers for deadlined vechs down in Bridgport.

The inspection is pretty striaght forward all safty equipment must work, IE lighting, fire extin, warning tri's , the brakes, hitch equipment, no exhust leaks or major fluid leaks of any kind.

OTR's are way more involed has we have to check wet tanks and dry tanks, air supply , low air pressure warning system,ETC.

Heres what a inspection sticker looks like.

PS If you think you are getting away without all your doing is rolling the dice , even my own wreckers have been stoped and inspected in MI and outside of Mi so better to be safe than sorry here we charge 150.00 for non air inspection and 250.00 for air and mulity axles

PSS Because i know someone will ask on a average day of inspections 2 out of 5 we fail sending them back to there shops mechanic to repair or we repair if its a small company without there own mechanic on staff.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Up here, any commercial vehicle must be subject to an annual inspection, regardless of vehicle GVW. Annual cost of around $75 per sticker. Any trailer used in commercial operations must also receive the same inspection.

Handy dandy bright yellow sticker must be placed on the vehicle in a visible location. Handy dandy sticker is punched to reflect last date of inspection (to the month), and is good for one year from that month. Handy dandy has some kind of built in fade resistance, and after one year (seems like to the day) changes colour from bright yellow to white - making it easy to spot an expired annual inspection sticker. Expired sticker nets approximate $350 fine.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Up here, any commercial vehicle must be subject to an annual inspection, regardless of vehicle GVW. Annual cost of around $75 per sticker. Any trailer used in commercial operations must also receive the same inspection.

Handy dandy bright yellow sticker must be placed on the vehicle in a visible location. Handy dandy sticker is punched to reflect last date of inspection (to the month), and is good for one year from that month. Handy dandy has some kind of built in fade resistance, and after one year (seems like to the day) changes colour from bright yellow to white - making it easy to spot an expired annual inspection sticker. Expired sticker nets approximate $350 fine.
Dave

Now thats one Handy dandy sticker , just fade resis white here in the US to much money for the color changing ones:D has far has fees go there at the inspections stations choice has to price , on any given day i would 101 reasons why my truck should pass , i know at least at the Bridgeport DOT station we are a respected company amoung the Station down there they give are name most times has a mobile service that can repair a deadlined vech.

I see alot of seasonal trucks running around here without stickers mostly ashpalt companys, i have had a couple come in wanting inspections on 8 trucks with recaps on the steers and one axle brake working:eek:

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Dave

I see alot of seasonal trucks running around here without stickers mostly ashpalt companys, i have had a couple come in wanting inspections on 8 trucks with recaps on the steers and one axle brake working:eek:

For that reason alone, I see the value in the annual safety inspection program. Sure it's a pain, but it forces compliancy. If there was nothing in place, there would be even more operators taking advantage, and pushing the safety envelope. That is the benefit of these regulations - albeit that they can take it too far. That can be evident at any DOT random roadside check. But for those who would risk not staying compliant, than they should be prepared for the consequences.

Nevermind the peace of mind from being DOT compliant, how about the sanity of knowing you're a responsible operator, and that Mom and the van load of kids are safe when they're travelling beside you.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
I agree Dave. I'll admit, I didn't realize it was required for any vehicle over 10K and that is why I am working on getting everything inspected. I do my best to follow all the laws, rules and regulations, but I'm sure you know just as well that it is virtually impossible to know and be in compliance with everything. Here's a short list:

IRS
MI Dept of Treasury
MI Dept of Ag
DOT--state and\or federal
MIOSHA
EEOC
MI EEO
Human resources--hiring\firing\what you can\can't do as an employer
Then you have normal contract law

THen you have 10 different interpretations of every law. And I'm willing to bet that there's some of these regulatory agencies that have laws that conflict with another agency's requirements. There's just no way any person can even come close to really abiding by every law that is out there and still make a profit. I do my best, when I find out something new, I try my best to come into compliance with it, but unless it's something extremely urgent, it ain't going to happen overnight.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
THen you have 10 different interpretations of every law. And I'm willing to bet that there's some of these regulatory agencies that have laws that conflict with another agency's requirements. There's just no way any person can even come close to really abiding by every law that is out there and still make a profit. I do my best, when I find out something new, I try my best to come into compliance with it, but unless it's something extremely urgent, it ain't going to happen overnight.
I totally agree Mark - it's next to impossible to comply with everyone and everything. I would be lying if I said I was 100% positive that everything was compliant - especially on some paperwork issues.

What I was trying to hit at was the obvious cases - the ones who don't seem to make the effort. And usually that's all any official is looking for - an attempt to abide by the rules - daily inspection sheets, annual safties, etc. If you blantantly ignore the rules - than you deserve what you get.

Anyway - GTG - the crews are loading up and I gotta get my @ss out there! Have a good day guys!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Up here, any commercial vehicle must be subject to an annual inspection, regardless of vehicle GVW.
Wrong.

We are also a licensed DOT inspection station,and we also do annual inspection stickers for the big trucks.It does go by GVWR and combined GWR.Most 3/4's tons don not require a sticker,unless over the 4500 KG GVWR or loaded weight.Add a trailer,and now you need one.

All trailers don't need them either,but most do.

You can search for the exact details,I have spelled them out before in some of our Ontario CVOR discussions.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts

This is my exact point - I've been told many different interpretations and variations - why does this have to be such a convaluted mess?

When we had 1/2 tons in the fleet, they were subject to the same rules (so I was told) operating under a CVOR. So we had those also done under an annual safety. I don't recall what the GVWR was, but I don't think it was over 4500.

What about all the 1/2 ton plumbing vans and mini-van service vehicles - the rules don't apply here? Seems like a loophole - why should they be exempted? Come to think of it - 1/2 ton trucks are sometimes the worst culprits for being pushed past their limits.

Chris - I'm sure you've spent more time at studying this - I'm just trying to get my work done, without endagering others on the road.:D

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
You mean you don't need stickers!? WTF?:huh

We gladly pay $35.00 a year for every commercial vehicle, $15.00 for all other motor vehicles including all trailers over 3k lbs.:rolleyes:

I never understood it, but I do know that Maine is the highest taxed state in the nation, so why not screw everyone equally? You guys need to catch-up with the times and start inspecting everything on the road.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts