Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put this meyers pump on this morning. Wired it up and mo matter what way you go, up, left, right, the blade only wants to go right. Just switched from a western cable style and I'm wondering if I should have stayed with the old setup.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Are you getting any current to the magnets? If you put power to the leads, a screwdriver should stick to the sides.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did try to look up some of the wiring on line, not real goo but I think I might have some wires crossed. When I picked up this plow, the wiring was all cut and i had 3 red wires and no clue what went to what.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think I have the wiring correct now. Plow should activate when pushing a direction. I have not hooked up blade yet but motor runs up and right now but nothing left.

·
Registered
13 Posts
shucks I will chime in with a thought
wiring can be a bear to figure it out right.
especially when working with something someones fuzzed with -

I could have just run my own wires and made up the connections,
but I am lazy and bought a new harness for the toggle switches
that meyer plows use. this solves issues having the right harness made for the plow.

I use the toggle switches - just replaced them and the harness as the old one was "old" gotten brittle [stiff wires,cracked, mouse bit] so when I held in on the connection the switch operated the plow - one stab on the switch was cracked and needed held together to operate.
once finding that - replaced switches and harness.

that worked much better - raise, lift, lower. angle - success :)

then replaced couplings and hoses and no angle - grr
checked wiring = fine
checked coils = fine
checked hoses = fine
connected hose cyl to cyl and still could not angle - really?
took off new couplers and could barely blow thru them - grrr
old rusty ball type couplers could blow thru them easily - so put them back on and angle worked fine.

the NEW hydraulic couplers I put on were low flow and the pump is low pressure and needed full easy flow couplers of the right type -
so back on with the old rusted [on outside] couplers as that is what the plow pump works best with.

*and yes the fluid was the first thing I changed -
I learned the hard way [froze and stopped working on a cold day] ugh
so yeah I flush my cyls and drain the pump, flush it and new fluid during the nice warm days of summer or fall

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
shucks I will chime in with a thought
wiring can be a bear to figure it out right.
especially when working with something someones fuzzed with -

I could have just run my own wires and made up the connections,
but I am lazy and bought a new harness for the toggle switches
that meyer plows use. this solves issues having the right harness made for the plow.

I use the toggle switches - just replaced them and the harness as the old one was "old" gotten brittle [stiff wires,cracked, mouse bit] so when I held in on the connection the switch operated the plow - one stab on the switch was cracked and needed held together to operate.
once finding that - replaced switches and harness.

that worked much better - raise, lift, lower. angle - success :)

then replaced couplings and hoses and no angle - grr
checked wiring = fine
checked coils = fine
checked hoses = fine
connected hose cyl to cyl and still could not angle - really?
took off new couplers and could barely blow thru them - grrr
old rusty ball type couplers could blow thru them easily - so put them back on and angle worked fine.

the NEW hydraulic couplers I put on were low flow and the pump is low pressure and needed full easy flow couplers of the right type -
so back on with the old rusted [on outside] couplers as that is what the plow pump works best with.

*and yes the fluid was the first thing I changed -
I learned the hard way [froze and stopped working on a cold day] ugh
so yeah I flush my cyls and drain the pump, flush it and new fluid during the nice warm days of summer or fall
That is an excellent point the toggle switch itself could be dead...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can you post a picture of the back side of the switch? There should be six terminals. Both centers are hot. The switch is momentary both sides. The wire that goes to the solenoid will be jumping across two switches, check this one with a test lamp when trying the function.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can grab a picture in the morning. Leaning toward needing to buy a new wire harness. This one has some cracks on the wiring. coating isn't the best.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what I have read, the white wire goes to the solenoid and the black wire runs to a separate power supply such as the fuse panel. Hooked into a powered slot when the truck is on.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think the white wire is what sends the signal to the solenoid. When going up, left , or right, one of those wires has to go to the solenoid. That
plug on the switches don't look very healthy. Use a test light, work the switches and see what you have.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After playing with the wires a little bit I now have all switches activating the motor when pushed in a direction. But still only wanting to go right when I push the toggle now matter what direction.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts