Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
A relative of mine that drives a CDL A and has about every endorsement you can get on his license told me a story about medical cards that just about made me **** myself. When medical cards first came out as a requirement he was being inspected by the DOT and of course he hands over his medical card when asked and the cop looks at it and then says "I can't read your doc's signature" and then proceeds to tear it up in front of his face. My relative then proceeds to almost get arrested from his telling the cop what he thought of this and comes to find out it is completely legal for them to do that since its considered invalid anyway with out a legible signature. Now if you know anything about doctors you know that writing legibly isn't something that’s taught in medical school, just ask a pharmacist that has to read a hand written script! My relative is diabetic anyway so seeing his doctor on a regular basis is something he does to stay alive and on his next visit he asks the secretary to give him some forms for the dot card. She does and he has from that point forward always filled them out himself. Just goes to show you that even when you try playing by the rules they can change them anytime they want.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jeff that is unbelivable . you should have the right to say what you want don't we have free speach . I would love it that all these wanna be nobodys would get a tatse of there own medicine they think because it says police they are invinsable maybe if they did not get there deliveries because they pulled legal guys over to bust there balls.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
A relative of mine that drives a CDL A and has about every endorsement you can get on his license told me a story about medical cards that just about made me **** myself. When medical cards first came out as a requirement he was being inspected by the DOT and of course he hands over his medical card when asked and the cop looks at it and then says "I can't read your doc's signature" and then proceeds to tear it up in front of his face. My relative then proceeds to almost get arrested from his telling the cop what he thought of this and comes to find out it is completely legal for them to do that since its considered invalid anyway with out a legible signature. Now if you know anything about doctors you know that writing legibly isn't something that’s taught in medical school, just ask a pharmacist that has to read a hand written script! My relative is diabetic anyway so seeing his doctor on a regular basis is something he does to stay alive and on his next visit he asks the secretary to give him some forms for the dot card. She does and he has from that point forward always filled them out himself. Just goes to show you that even when you try playing by the rules they can change them anytime they want.

this is one reason I keep the original cert in my office and only a copy in my wallet

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Fred is correct, 10K+ requires DOT numbers and physical.

Attached are the examination protocol and the certificate. Eye test, hearing test, urine test, and general physical. Some doctors also require an EKG and blood work.

I carry copies with me and in the truck. (Along with the inspection records, log books, etc.)

Don't forget the truck inspection!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
this is one reason I keep the original cert in my office and only a copy in my wallet
Ya even better thing is that you can't laminate them either. for what reason I don't know.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Anyone can jump into a 70,000 GCWR private motorhome . Dont need no stinkin medical card .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally Posted by stepping stones
I had to get one before I could renew my cdl. I guess its something new in CT
Not new. always been that way from what I understand from my buddies.
I've renewed my CDL in CT several times in the past without them asking for a medical card. But I just got my renewal notice in the mail and there is a separate notice with it stating that you need a current medical card to renew a CDL. Maybe they decided to enforce it now. I haven't driven a truck in over 15+ years that required a CDL so I never got a new medical card. It looks like I'll have to get a physical if I want to keep my CDL.

Kirk- Did find out about the medical card by going to DMV to renew your license, or did you know before hand? I'm assuming if you don't go with the card they remove your CDL status from your license?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Anyone can jump into a 70,000 GCWR private motorhome . Dont need no stinkin medical card .
The way the law was written was that if the vehicle had a bathroom no cdl was needed. Dattco had bathrooms in all their buses and they didn't require a CDL or a Bus lic.

All the laws will be changing in the next few years. They are rewriting the book nationally from what I have been told.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
The key here is it wouldnt be fully enforced til Nov 08 that is why there is so much confusion with so many here and others.

Like i have said in this thread in others if you dont think you need to be DOT comp in a 10k vech and over just get pulled over , better have thick skin and a big wallet.:wink.

The deal with Motorhomes is changing one thing that seems to cont to fly under the radar is homer homeowner pulling his lifes belongings in a Uhaul box truck with a trailer and his car behind it. Although those trucks are below the 26k number the drivers should still need to posess ness documents. Three years ago when i first bought the 12ton i impounded a 24ft Uhaul out of Gladwin it was being used has a rolling Meth Lab, i had to wear a mask doing it the dam crap in the back imploded or something i could smell that crap a mile before i got there.

Iam not trying to pick on RV'ers but iam sure Jeff and Steve can relate to this but running interstate behind one of these is interesting to say the least..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Like i have said in this thread in others if you dont think you need to be DOT comp in a 10k vech and over just get pulled over , better have thick skin and a big wallet.

Fred does this apply to ANYONE simply driving a pickup over 10k GVW such as the guy who buys a big shiny F450 pickup just to drive around in? Or are you talking only for those who are for hire. Take myself for example, as I posted in another thread, I know I'm supposed to have combo plates for towing, but do I have to have DOT numbers on the truck since I tow a 7k enclosed trailer for my work?

·
Registered
256 Posts
never mind Fred I read your other post

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
I had to get one before I could renew my cdl. I guess its something new in CT
No... Its not something new in Ct only. THe FMCSA set a new ruling in place effective December 2008 that said all states WILL BE IN COMPLIANCE within 3 years (By Dec 2011) with the new ruling that says that in order to recieve a new CDL or renew a CDL you must be in posession of a VALID Medical Certification. Also by that time your CDL and Med Card will be linked so that your doctor will report to DMV that you passed/failed your physical. that information is held in a data base and when the cop/dot officer runs your cdl he will know if you have a current medical. If your doctor fails your physical and reports it as he is required to then you will hold a restricted CDL until you pass your physical.

A hand full of states have started off already by requiring the med cert but as of yet none have began linking it to your cdl records.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When i was testing for my Q endorsement to be able to drive firetrucks they asked me for a medical card. My fire dept pays for my doctors check up and i get a new card every 2 years now. Honestly if i knew i would need a medical card and everything i would have just went for my cdl and gotten it over with.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
When i was testing for my Q endorsement to be able to drive firetrucks they asked me for a medical card. My fire dept pays for my doctors check up and i get a new card every 2 years now. Honestly if i knew i would need a medical card and everything i would have just went for my cdl and gotten it over with.
Get it now. The test is only going to get harder and they will be requiring that you take a certified training course. If you want a name of someone in CT let me know. she is great and very easy to work with.

·
Registered
50 Posts
21 - 38 of 38 Posts