Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brands of mechanic tools do you have and like? I am looking into building a set and just want to see what everyone preference is.

I would say that Snap-On ratchets is a must. I have used several brand name ratchets and from what I can tell, Snap-On is far the best, hand down. But my main concern is the wrenches becacuse it seems that alot of times I bust my knuckes from wrenches slipping off the bolts/nuts. I have been using S&K wrenches most of time and while they are good, they still do sometime round off some bolts/nuts and slip off in high torque. Same thing with sockets, but sometime it seems that they don't always slip as easily as wrenches would.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
mechanics tools

I have used everything . I like snap-on , when I was in the trade But it is real pricey. Craftsmen does a real good job . Have you check out craftsmen "pro " rachet . it's a nice piece, has that "snap on'" feel.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i use snap-on
more out of convience that anything else
the guys in the shop every week
dont like their wrenches very then when pulling the side digs into your fingers
also dont use 12point sockets or wrenches
6point lessen the chances of stripping the bolt
john

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
As far as hand tools. Snap-on and Craftsman. I wear out the others, or break them. I also have a few Par-X wrenches. It's a snap-on without the chrome. Got those a LOOOONG time ago.
If it's for personal use on your own stuff the price of Craftsman tools and quality is great. I'm buying a new Craftsman setup just for my own use in my home garage. Some stuff i've had for 30 years.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
I have to agree with John. Whenever possible, use a 6 point socket or wrench. Much less of a chance that you will go flying when the 12 point you are using slips. The exception of course is those new 12 pt. bolts.....

The only Snap On tool I own is a 3/8" ratchet. All the rest are Craftsman. Easy to replace, lifetime warranty.

Snap On makes some really nice tools, but for me, not using them everyday, Craftsman serves its purpose.

The only exception is the ratchets... Craftsmans all hurt my hands.

Mac, and Proto are very similar to Snap On (only $25 a week for whatever you want!), and Home Depot sells Husky, which I *think* has a lifetime warranty too.

~Chuck

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I like Craftsman they have been good to me. And also very affordable, and easy to exchange if you break any.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Mostly Snap-On and Mac.Some Craftsman.

Mastercraft and a few others now make some nice Snap-On knock offs that work just as well.They have the flank drive now that the patent has run out.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I use a little of all, but most of my hand tools are Carftsman or Husky- they both have a lifetime warranty- but the last time I went in with a ratchet problem they gave me a rebuild kit vs a new ratchet. Husky, just bring in the old tool and they give you a new one. No quetions asked. The prices are also comparable to Craftsman.

Bill

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
turn this around

How about "one use tools " great price but they dont last :D

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
at home in the shop, i have my tool chest full of snap-on stuff ( from when i was a mechanic) , but in the trucks i have boxes full of craftsman tools. snap on is too expensive to be loosing in the dirt or snow.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I have mostly Husky. Many years ago I had some New Britian boxed/open end wrenches I liked a lot. I'd probably buy New Britian if I were going to get a full set.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I use alot of different namebrands. The tools that get used the most in the toolbox, such as screwdrivers and ratchets, I have Snap-On. I have some S&K, some Mac, and alot of Craftsman. When it comes to a combination wrench, I dont care whos name is on it, as long as its a 6 point. Same goes for sockets, when possible, 6 point only, and I dont care whos name is on it. I love having nice tools, and it would be cool to have ALL Snap-On, but I find that you misplace or lose a tool more often than you break it, so it "kind of" doesnt pay to have the best most expensive tools. Just my oppinion. Mike

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Most of my stuff is Craftsman, the price is right and they stand behind them.

When I need a specialty tool, I have my brother in law get it from either Snap-On or MAC. I also buy Vice-Grip and Channel/Lock brands, no knock offs.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Great topic i have been turning them for 22yrs i have alot of snap-on mac matco even some cornwell stuff but has i get older and tend to loose more tools i have learned that good ole craftsman are probley what i have the most of i like the fact i can get them replaced the same day the above mentioned tools i have to wait for them to show up once a week also theres alot of turn over in the mobile tool sales buss around here so i have had to go without the big three some times for months without support so that has lead me to buy and use more craftsman. For specialty tools i order OTC and kentmoore direct from my parts vender.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mostly Craftsman, but assorted, Napa, Snap-on, stanley & various others we have aquired over the years.
New I buy either craftsman or the cheepest brand I can find.
As I seem to loose a heck of a lot more tools then I break.

For some odd reason all my 1/2 sockets magicly turn into 9/16's
Have like 5 9/16's & only one 1/2 I just bought. Don't ya hate that??

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.