Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone renew their HazMat endorsement lately? I just read a letter saying that the RMV is no longer authorized to renew the endorsement after May. Drivers who want to keep the endorsement have to get an "extensive background check" including fingerprints, criminal history, citizenship, etc.

Here are a couple things I love about it. 1. The cost. Yeah a CDL is a privilege but the cost is outrageous. Think about it. Annual D.O.T. medical certificate, background check, CDL with endorsements every four years, and HazMat every two years, weigh stations, log books, etc. I'm actualy suprised they already don't know what I had for breakfast. 2. The doublespeak. "Furnishing this information, including your SSN or alien registration number, is voluntary; however, failure to provide it will prevent the completion of your security threat assessment, without which you cannot be granted a hazardous materials endorsement... This is a mandatory collection of information if you wish to obtain a hazardous materials endorsement" Why doesn't somebody just say it straight? Call Ron 'Tater Salad' White. I'm sure he can come up with something.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I just talked to my son yesterday. He says he is not going to keep his HAZMAT endorsement and he knows a lot of others who are letting it go. It's just not worth the hassle. They don't get any more $$$ for hauling HAZMAT loads. Plenty of freight without it.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Mick said:
I just talked to my son yesterday. He says he is not going to keep his HAZMAT endorsement and he knows a lot of others who are letting it go. It's just not worth the hassle. They don't get any more $$$ for hauling HAZMAT loads. Plenty of freight without it.
Which means shipping HazMat is going to increase in cost due to less shippers. Stupid idiots in the gov't.

You're getting really good at this stuff, Don. You're soon going to be the official LTS go to guy for tax and OSHA audit info as well as HazMat cert. Thanks. :grinz

We don't have any HazMat endorsements, just make sure we never haul over the threshold.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Mark Oomkes said:
Which means shipping HazMat is going to increase in cost due to less shippers. Stupid idiots in the gov't.
Ding Ding!! We have a winner! Friend of mine that drives for our local hazmat company (http://www.triumvirate.com/default.asp) said that the company will pay for their fees when the increase comes in, but they will just pass on all the costs to the consumer. This company hauls the really nasty things that most companies won't haul due to liability so the prices are already very high to begin with and sure to go up. The days of drivers having the hazmat for "just in case" circumstances will die out pretty fast when this takes effect.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I almost got mine when i first got my class II but passed on it,then latter thought of getting it like JD was saying just in case, but not woth the BS you have to go thru now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When I got my class B CDL I took the haz-mat endorsement test (no extra fees at initial licensing). The first time I renewed they told me I had to re-take the test (and pay a fee) to keep the endorsement. I asked what I would have to do to get the endorsement back if I dropped it and they said "pay the fee and take the test" (same fee same test). So, no incentive for maintaining the endorsement vs. getting it from scratch. My understanding is that it remains that way to this date (but the process and expense has obviously gone up). Besides most haz-mat your ok as long as you stay under 1,000 pounds (no placards) and stay away from the really bad stuff (no limit reportable quantity).

By the way, do they really think that terrorists are going to placard their Ryder trucks and bother to try to get CDL's with Haz-Mat endorsements? Did Timothy McVie have a Haz-Mat endorsement? How about the ones that bombed the Trade Center? I don't think so.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
It's only for the honest people same goes for guns if a bad guy wants to get one they can.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know, its just frustrating. Its getting close to where its harder to get a Haz-Mat endorsement that it is to get a Haz-Mat Tech certification

·
Registered
255 Posts
I dropped the endorsement about 8 years ago.That's well before all the "voluntary requirements". Having a haz-mat endorsement was never worth it for me. Hauling 2 to 3 loads a year with no differrence in price just didn't make the extra hassle worth while........

·
Registered
188 Posts
Which means shipping HazMat is going to increase in cost due to less shippers

Since I went back to pulling tankers, all I pull is Hazmat........starting at $3.65 a mile:cash

I will go thru the background check when it's my turn, BUT it does tick me off....So much for being an upstanding citizen.......doesn't mean much anymore......sad to say.

·
Registered
319 Posts
And here we go again......just another way for the Gov't to make money and more stupid rules and fee's for the honest hard working guy to keep up with:mad:

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
This is just like the whole USDOT number thing. Once again, our 'leaders' are harassing the legal citizens who are overpaying their wages while they could give a crapless about illegals and criminals who are the ones not even attempting to follow the laws and regulations. Never cease to amaze me that so much incompetency can rise to the top.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The biggest problem with this that i see is where is it going to end.It seems that everytime you think that you have your Sh#t together, there is something else to worry about and more fee's to pay.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A good friend of mine always says:

"Every time I put my hand in my pocket.........someone else's hand is already there":mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Mark Oomkes said:
Never cease to amaze me that so much incompetency can rise to the top.

The rising isn't the problem.........it's the fact that they are allowed to remain at the top after they have clearly demonstrated their incompetency.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big Dog D said:
The rising isn't the problem.........it's the fact that they are allowed to remain at the top after they have clearly demonstrated their incompetency.
What does that say about our society? Scary thought. :eek:

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I'm going to keep my haz-mat endorsement. Any license/permit I have I am keeping, eventually you won't be able to get them without a huge hassle.

Concealed weapons, EMT, CDL, Tank, passenger vehicle endorsement, etc... etc... I renew everything. Getting some of these back are a real pita later.

·
Registered
908 Posts
atgreene said:
I'm going to keep my haz-mat endorsement. Any license/permit I have I am keeping, eventually you won't be able to get them without a huge hassle.

Concealed weapons, EMT, CDL, Tank, passenger vehicle endorsement, etc... etc... I renew everything. Getting some of these back are a real pita later.

Im with you on keeping it, paid the $92 for the prints and background a few years ago, and even though we dont haul haz-mat any more you never know. I'll probably even renew my pestacide applicators card.

·
Registered
401 Posts
haz-mat

When I first got my Class B, I was working for an oil company so I needed the haz-mat. I renewed it once and kept the endorsement and that meant another test and money but it was worth it. When my license came up for renewal in '95 I got the notice about a background check and decided that it wasn't worth the hassle and if I worked for a company that I needed it they'd just pay for it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts