Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the idea of plowing. I recently bought some property at 6700 feet in Montana, and we are looking to build on it and live there year round, but there is a mountain road that is not maintained beyond a certain point during the winter, so I am looking to maintain it myself. I don't have a truck yet, but I'm pretty set on an F350 or equivalent 3500 model, I'm open to recommendations for which year, and for which plow to get.
The dirt road is about 6 miles, about 3 of which are maintained by another local, and relatively narrow (its about a lane and a half in most places, just enough for passing oncoming traffic at low speeds, and only in some spots) over the course of those 6 miles is about a 1400 foot elevation change, the town sits at 5300 feet. The road is in relatively good shape for not being maintained by the city, but it has some dips from rain washout and can get a bit rocky in certain spots. I'm looking to do some cleanup on some of the bigger rocks.
We live in town right now, but I want to be able to live on my offgrid property and I want to get the right equipment for the job. The road is set up that I could easily push snow off one side of it, as it has a rock wall on the one side and a drop off on the other. The road has decent southern exposure so with the parts that are maintained the little bit of ice that is left melts relatively easily, but it is likely I will be dealing with 2-3 feet of snow that I would be attempting to plow off the one side.

Any recommendations on equipment and plowing style for this project? Or anything I've missed?

·
Super Moderator
133 Posts
Welcome to the site, may want to look at something with tracks, like a skid steer with snow blower or even blade.
3 miles of dirt road with 2-3’ of snow is a lot, and you mentioned souther facing with drop off on one side, which makes me believe that it melts during the day and freezes at night and becomes slick
F350 gets stuck and you’re by yourself, you’re going to be walking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to the idea of plowing. I recently bought some property at 6700 feet in Montana, and we are looking to build on it and live there year round, but there is a mountain road that is not maintained beyond a certain point during the winter, so I am looking to maintain it myself. I don't have a truck yet, but I'm pretty set on an F350 or equivalent 3500 model, I'm open to recommendations for which year, and for which plow to get.
The dirt road is about 6 miles, about 3 of which are maintained by another local, and relatively narrow (its about a lane and a half in most places, just enough for passing oncoming traffic at low speeds, and only in some spots) over the course of those 6 miles is about a 1400 foot elevation change, the town sits at 5300 feet. The road is in relatively good shape for not being maintained by the city, but it has some dips from rain washout and can get a bit rocky in certain spots. I'm looking to do some cleanup on some of the bigger rocks.
We live in town right now, but I want to be able to live on my offgrid property and I want to get the right equipment for the job. The road is set up that I could easily push snow off one side of it, as it has a rock wall on the one side and a drop off on the other. The road has decent southern exposure so with the parts that are maintained the little bit of ice that is left melts relatively easily, but it is likely I will be dealing with 2-3 feet of snow that I would be attempting to plow off the one side.

Any recommendations on equipment and plowing style for this project? Or anything I've missed?
How often do you get 2-3' of snow?
What's the average snow fall per storm?
The rock wall won't allow for much of a windrow since it will choke down the width of the road and you'll need to windrow off the drop off or blower the snow towards the drop off.
I would have to think a V plow on a 1ton pickup would handle the majority of the snows with ease, deeper snow tire chains on all four tires may be needed.
A skid or tractor is probably the ideal peice of equipment but costly and if you have no other need for it there's a lot of money sitting round doing nothing.
Have you considered a Snow Cat to access the house in the winter, it's a pretty common thing to use.

·
Super Moderator
908 Posts
A 3500 should do just fine,
Get a set of chains (for all 4 wheels)
Some weight out by the tailgate.

if the forecast is for 3ft, just go plow the drive every foot. It’s easer on everything and everyone.

Work smarter, you could be on your own for a while.
If it’s as remote as you portray a look at getting a winch that will go into your rear receiver hitch so you can pull your butt back out of the brink.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have been plowing my mountain road much like yours for the past 12 years. I have an old military M1008, which is a 11/4 ton pickup based on Chevy 3300 series (I think). I have a Western Prodigy plow which has wings that automatically turn as the plow is angled and works well when pushing snow with minimal spill-off on the ends. A V plow would also be good. Both weight a little over 800 lbs., so you'll need a lot of weight in the back; I carry 800+ lbs of rocks in a wooden containment. For me V-bar chains all around is a must. You will find that the drop off will in time load up with snow and it will not "drop off", unless you have a truly vertical side that the snow cannot adhere to. The rock wall, when the wind blows over it, will probably create some nasty drifts. Keep your berms small and pushed back as much as possible; you will not be able to move them later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts