Snowplow Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
So, why do you suggest such a large vehicle? How much of a difference does vehicle that weights 18,000lbs compare to a 1-ton vehicle?
I prefer bigger rather smaller myself as a rule of thumb. However, for practical reasons the bigger the vehicle usually the heavier the components are which means under heavy usage the better they stand up to the wear and tear. Also, bigger trucks usually have the ability to tackle deeper snow falls. This can be important when you are trying push back large snow piles in tight spaces or dealing with heavy drifting.

Another option would be the Mercedes Benz Unimog

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I prefer bigger rather smaller myself as a rule of thumb. However, for practical reasons the bigger the vehicle usually the heavier the components are which means under heavy usage the better they stand up to the wear and tear. Also, bigger trucks usually have the ability to tackle deeper snow falls. This can be important when you are trying push back large snow piles in tight spaces or dealing with heavy drifting.

Another option would be the Mercedes Benz Unimog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BldICdIaPYY
That's a sexy beast. Where can I get one?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does anyone have some Dramamine? I'll getting seasick from excessive eyerolling

It's a good thing I wear work boots. I'm not sure if they are high enough though. It's getting pretty deep.

·
Registered
677 Posts
What happened to the hypothetical budget?

A decent unimog that woun’t need work will blow the Budget .
Then you will need to find a plow
And have it mounted.

And when it does break down the tow to a garage willing to work on it will cost a Grand or more.

Who is going to fix the unimog?

It’s the best idea short of getting a walter .

:tango_face_grin::tango_face_grin::tango_face_grin::tango_face_kiss:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I’m going to report you,
Don’t threaten me.
I did report you.

Lol
Go back to p l o w. Site.
Where you asked the same question.
Most of it was copied &pasted from
Their site...

·
Registered
677 Posts
First we are going to need to explain the nomenclature to me. I just simply do not have the vocabulary or understanding of it to really converse with you. I have been for the last couple of decades mostly a bi-costal urban dweller with extended periods in Europe. You see I simply have no idea what a 1-ton is or v blade. To put my new low key adventure into context think Green Acres. So, I know I want to be independent and live a simpler life. The problem is I will need a to be shown the ropes along the way during this adventure.

That is impressive. I suspect, I should be salivating over it; just one, small catch, I have literally no idea what it does or is!

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
I like this one.

Is a 1Ton more than 1/2ton?

“Oh thanks, this really helps out. So, I gather that as the ratings go from 1/2 ton to 1 ton the bigger and tougher the trucks become? What about Diesel is that better to have than Gas. And really what is the hype about Diesel anyway?”

·
Registered
677 Posts
I want a unimog
Look bo you have a license that will let you drive a truck of that size?

“You have to remember for 30 years I just rented a car if I needed one. I have own one since like 1992 and that was a Volkswagen Hatchback... I got a job in NYC and parking was such a pain I sold it and just kept the license. So, I usually fly, train, or Uber my way around. That is unless I want to go wild like the Audi R8 I rented in Miami 2 years ago. So, fun much fun to drive. But, I doubt ownership is as thrilling all the time.

So, I have to tell you I figured I could just go to a dealer with a truck and say put this or that on and it would happen. Is that not correct?”

·
Registered
677 Posts
This one is a hoot
We’re to believe a guy of your age
Doesn’t know what tire chains are...

XUXsaid: ↑
With chains on all four tires, a 12k winch on the back would be a handy thing too.

Italian ice ,Chains? What chains and on all four what tires? I’m from the burbs originally.

·
Registered
677 Posts
And the end of this
“Italianice So, what I gather so far is this I need a truck roughly a 1 ton rated with a v blade and possibly a set of tire chains. And the ability to plow with storm to be effective. Am I close to being right?”

Bingo

·
Registered
677 Posts
I wonder where in the U.P. You would find dealer support for a unimog

“Italianice What about dealer support and product support which company excels at that? That would be a good thing to have for a mechanically unsophisticated person such as myself.”

Hint your in the UP get a Boss.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Italianice,” Mostly, for the last 10 years I have been exploring how to use social media and other organic trends to maximize our. “

Spunds like Connor and his Imaginary friends
That are going to save forum boards
From injustice.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I want a unimog
Look bo you have a license that will let you drive a truck of that size?

“You have to remember for 30 years I just rented a car if I needed one. I have own one since like 1992 and that was a Volkswagen Hatchback... I got a job in NYC and parking was such a pain I sold it and just kept the license. So, I usually fly, train, or Uber my way around. That is unless I want to go wild like the Audi R8 I rented in Miami 2 years ago. So, fun much fun to drive. But, I doubt ownership is as thrilling all the time.

So, I have to tell you I figured I could just go to a dealer with a truck and say put this or that on and it would happen. Is that not correct?”
Most Unimogs weight between 15,000 lbs and 33,000lbs meaning as long as the OP doesn’t get model rated rated 33,000lbs he will be able to drive it without a CDL. hence the reason I suggested it. I was thinking a U1200 to U1400 which usually top out at 25,000 lbs are perfect.

Well, if the guy has the money... I am sure he can get a nice U1200 or U1400 with a plow and so on for about $30,000 Refurbished.

https://autoline.info/-/sale/universal-communal-machines/MERCEDES-BENZ-UNIMOG-U900--19031920530469067100

For $16,500 usd and whatever shipping is...
I forgot you know all. So, if you say no. It cannot be done.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Then cwren hits one out of the park.

Cwren”Perhaps it needs to be put on hold until the OP chooses a place in the state where he is intending to hypothetically plow, after he choses his hypothetical plow brand to be installed on his hypothetical truck.”

Lololol that’s to funny.

21 - 40 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.