Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a huge deal but after a while these things become like a burr in the saddle and I get irritated enough to ask for help.

A few weeks ago the settings on "family" computer must have changed. I'm running Windows XP with Service Pak 3 installed. I have LTS and several other sites bookmarked. Used to be all I would have to do was click on the bookmark and it would remember my name and password and log me in automatically. Now it won't remember them and auto log-in for any sites.I have clicked on the "remember me" boxes for both name and password but next time I check in I have to sign in again. I haven't changed anything other than to run the CC (CrapCleaner) software at some time recently, and don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

I have the same issue with my office computer but it's been like that since day #1 so it leads me to believe it's just a setting I need to change. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Something is deleting cookies. Cookies on this site are what allows you to be remembered. No cookies, you have to log in. It also keeps track of new posts since your last visit. Something in the privacy section of Internet Explorer Tools.

~Chuck

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something is deleting cookies. Cookies on this site are what allows you to be remembered. No cookies, you have to log in. It also keeps track of new posts since your last visit. Something in the privacy section of Internet Explorer Tools.

~Chuck
Thanks Chuck, I'll check it out. It's strange because it does keep track of the last posts. Thanks for the advise.

Steve

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
My computer started exactly that a couple days ago, also. Happens on LTS and one "other site". I just checked all my Tools settings and they are as they should be.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The CC may have changed the cookies or cookie handling.

First I would try the less likely but easiest experiment. Log in, be sure you are recognized, then right click and chose create a shortcut on my desktop. You could also try copy shortcut, then paste it on the desktop.

Find the new shortcut, which may be labeled "2", and delete the other shortcut. Right click the recycle bin and choose "empty recycle bin" and then OK.

Try the new shortcut. If it doesn't work, you may have a non functioning cookie stored on the disk. I had one that prevented me logging in to one site.

I forget how XP works, but try a search for cookies. Scan the list and look for anything that mentions the site you are having trouble with. Delete them all for that site. Delete the old shortcut and empty the recycle bin. I suppose you could go to internet tools and delete all cookies, they will come back as you navigate to all sites.

Then navigate to the site, log in, and make the shortcut.

You could also go to system restore and choose restore to an earlier time, pick a time when things worked. You will lose any applications you added since that time.

By the way, I no longer trust or use those "cleaner" programs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts