Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First an intro. I'm in central Maine - good snow country so I can count on 20 plowable snowfalls. I'm new to this forum but not exactly new to plows. For the last several years I've used a beater truck with an older Fisher speedcast plow for my office parking lot and garage driveway. The 84 chevy and plow finally packed it in and I'm looking to put a standard duty plow on my personal truck - a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. Even though it's a half ton I feel confident with a standard duty due to the limited use. My intention is to attach the plow, plow both driveway and office and then take it off. I also have a second office in a town (don't need to plow it) 30 miles away and DO NOT want to carry the plow with me.

At this point I'm torn between the Boss 7.5 standard duty (with Smarthitch 2) or the Curtis 7.5 with hitch-n-run system. My prime concern here is EASE of attachment and release. Obviously, either plow is more than capable for my needs. Weight's probably not an issue either way as I'll be cranking the torsion bars for 1.5" of lift on the front and adding Timbrens as well.

Does anybody have experience with both?

Thanks in advance
Dean

·
Registered
16 Posts
reply to thread

know nothing of boss, however i do have a curtis 9 ft. my 3 years spent with curtis unless i am doing something wrong is they come off much easier than they go on. that being said i have found a few things over the last 3 yrs , some very major most the first year. the plow does everything i would want so i am not badmouthing it, just some issues that need to be maintained. happy to get into that if you or anyone else responds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hauled - I'm looking for real-life experience here cause the salesmen all think their model is head and shoulders better than the competitors. If you have grievances - let's air it out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have a 7 1/2 foot Curtis .. on it's 9th season.. I change the oil each season and do some basic PM but that's about it. One hose let go last season but I had a spare and kept right on rolling. My biggest complaint would be availability of parts etc. Not a lot of Curtis dealers in the immediate area.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It really depends on where you drop it off. I have no problems disconnecting, the problem may show up reconnecting. If it is on fairly level ground and the truck is also in basically the same spot, it pops right on no problems.. just like the dealer shows you in summer. If it is a little low on one side because whether the ground froze / sunk etc then it gets a little tougher. I'd imagine that's true for any plow though. I think one other issue is that I have an F250 and the jack is at full extension to reach the mount, that may contribute to it, so I keep mine on plow dollies in the winter and put a 4X4 under the jack and it always pops right back on.

Does that help?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hope its not too late to go the Boss route.....I have a 9' Curtis Hitch & run on an F350 w/ V10 & a flatbed which has a salter mounted on it. Bought it with the truck from a dealership brand new. Thought it would be nice to have a quick detach system for our smaller truck and it was a bit cheaper that a 9' Fisher, and lighter. Liked all the features at first glance. But reality sucks. I don't like the way it hooks back up, seems that the frame is tweaked but the service people can't find any problems. The acces to maintain it is terrible. The little jack switch has had to be replaced twice in three years, and try to get it off if the jack doesn't work. Just wait till you need to replace a hose or pump motor... real fun access.

So anyway.... I will stick with Fishers or Boss plows because I think thet are built for working and I will leave the Curtis to the Homeowner Grade setups.

·
Registered
268 Posts
We've got four boss plows and have never had a problem mounting or dismounting them.
Doesn't seem to matter if the ground is level or not they always connect and disconect without a problem.
As with all plows make sure that the electrical connections are clean. I guess the next question would be do you have a dealer close and do they stock parts and do they know how to fix the stuff?. Lets face it every plow sooner or later will need something done to it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Who is the closest dealer? Whats the price difference between both? I know curtis plows are heavy will you be adding timbrens as to not destroy the front end? - I would go with the closest dealer who would give the best service in case of a mishap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Curtis

When I was making my decision, I narrowed it down to these two also... The mounts are both easy, but what sold it for me (at the time), was the moldboard thickness on the Curtis, and the chain operated lift.

With an all hydraulic lift like the Boss has, on the rare occasion that you may experience a hydraulic failure, you're stuck. With the Curtis, at least you can ram it into a snowpile, shortchain it, and get home. I love the Curtis. That's not to say that Boss doesn't make a quality product, because they definitely do. I know plenty of people who have them. But I also know that in the event of a hydraulic failure, you're stuck wherever you are.

Another thing that helped was the fact that I live 25 minutes from the Curtis factory, so I have the whole support thing very close if I need it. Thus far, they've been very good at answering questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts